A Haven for Vee

Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Sojourner

When I recall the summer about to pass, I may forget the year, but it will be known as Cross Creek Summer or the summer that I met Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. I know that this is twice in not so many weeks that she's been mentioned, but I am thinking of her now as a dear friend. I want to sit down at her kitchen table and partake of her peach pie and sweet iced tea laced with something stronger. It doesn't matter that she died before I was even born...I can't part with her yet.

I was thrilled to learn that Rawlings had purchased a farm in the state of New York and had lived there in order to write about it. The result was The Sojourner. I was a bit concerned to learn that this book is a novel for reasons already stated — this need of mine to linger at her table. So I waffled about ordering (once again from Abe books) before finally placing my order and being done with it. Hope that I'll not be disappointed.

Now it's here; I'm very excited; I'll be reporting back. Off to tell my friend Skitten this news; she's the only one who really cares I suspect. :>

No comments:

Post a Comment

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.