A Haven for Vee

Monday, December 10, 2007

Creating a Header All By Your Very Own Sweet Self

or how to change something like this

< photo removed >



to something like this...


A blogging bud asked me for some advice about creating a header. Since it was going to require thinking and stuff, I decided to write it down as a tutorial and then anyone can see what I do. Disclaimer: This is how I do it, which doesn't make it the best or easiest way.

1. Take a picture.

2. Upload to the computer.

3. Save it in Pictures or wherever you save your photos.

4. Open PAINT. (I am using a Windows XP and I find PAINT by clicking the START button, clicking ALL PROGRAMS, then clicking ACCESSORIES, finally clicking PAINT.)

5. Once in PAINT, you should see a big white page with color choices on the bottom, tools on the side, and these words across the top: File Edit View Image Colors Help
(These words are where the action is for creating a header.)

6. Click on FILE and then on OPEN in the drop-down menu...this takes you to a box where you can select the spot where your photos are stored by using the arrow at the right.

7. Find the photo you wish to use and double click. Your photo will open in PAINT and be gigantic! Do not panic.

8. Click on the IMAGE button at the top of the page and select STRETCH/SKEW from the drop-down menu. A new box will open...you'll only be working in the top half or the
stretch section. You will see two small white boxes with these words: Horizontal and Vertical. Each box will have 100% written in it. I use 30% in both so change both the horizontal and vertical boxes to 30%. (Whatever you do in one, you must do in the other or the photo will be distorted...perhaps you'd like to experiment with distortion, but my world is wonky enough.)

9. Click the OKAY button on the right and the photo will now be completely visible to you.

10. Return to the FILE button and select "Save As" at this point.

11. Choose a new name to write in the "File Name" box that opens just to be safe...you don't want to lose all your good work so far.

12. Leave the photo in JPEG format in the "Save As Type" box. Hit okay on the right side. This saves your photo and you'll be able to find it again back in Pictures if anything should happen during the next steps.

13. Your photo will be square...this is where cropping comes in...either that or you'll be resizing once again by returning to step 8.

14. Crop by finding the teeny-tiny-wee blue button in the middle of the right side of the photo or the middle of the bottom of the photo. Click on the blue button and drag inward or upward to your spot. Now you may find that you have extra photo at the top or on the other side. Do not panic. You'll have to flip the photo. I said, "Don't panic!" :)

15. Flip the photo by going to the IMAGE button and selecting the Flip/ Rotate button that opens in the drop-down menu.

16. Select "Rotate by Angle" and experiment... I usually just work with the 90 degree angle until I can use the teeny-tiny-wee blue button that only ever appears on the right and on the bottom (have I already said that?) Actually, there is a teeny-tiny-wee blue button in the corner as well...it can be useful...experiment!

17. Once cropping is complete, straighten the picture by using step 15.

18. Return to the FILE button use SAVE AS and rename the photo in the filename to something that includes "header."

19. Back at the blog, you'll upload the photo in the usual way for the header. I just use my font and font colors to create my header from there.

20. Wasn't that fun???? (Good luck, Judy!!!)

Now, if anyone knows of an easier way using PAINT, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!!

9 comments:

  1. Trying to sign in...Blogger has forgotten me so soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that was an interesting experiment. I could not log back on after I posted. My username was "incorrect" and my password was, too. Hmmmmm...

    So I just made the above comment, signed in that way and Bob was my uncle. There's more than one way to get a job done! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vee,
    I have so wanted to "cuten" up my blog banner but had no idea how, I'm going to give your instructions a go, but, I am not very computer smart so I may get into a bit of a jam. If I do I'll be calling on you. Thanks for the lesson Miss Teacher!
    Miss Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Vee! you clever girl... Thanks for this. I am printing it out so I can refer to it step by step as I give it a try. Well, uhm, ... at least I will give the picture changing/cropping thingy a try...then if I am able to do that I can change my picture.

    so... then do you have an easy peasy way to make a card using my own pics? ..and how to print them out and somehow get a verse inside and in the right place etc>? Wish I had somebody living next door that I could hire to show me a thing or thirty three....probably a 12 year old would be about right. I am not nearly computer literate as I would like to be, but still too afraid to take a class.

    The picture I have in my header just happens to be the right size or something...cuz, no way I did all of this to it...I just got lucky to find one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank-you, teacher! I will print off the instructions and give it a whirl sometime soon. Sorry for making you go to so much work...I guess I was hoping there was a 'header wizard' somewhere out there, that would just spit out a picture in the right format. Thanks bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the information. I googled this topic a few months ago and came up pretty empty...everyone was using PhotoShop (to expensive for me!!). Paint...got that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! You have no idea how long I have wanted to do this, but had no clue how!! I am going to print these directions out and try it when i get a chance!!

    Thank you for sharing your gift of technology...of which I have no talent at all!!

    Linda
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vee,
    You are a NUT! Shall I send you labels for your cat kibble and gold fish crackers? Just kidding, a little cat kibble never hurt anyone! Ha Ha Ha!
    Miss Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vee,
    Great tutorial. I don't use Paint. I use a program called Image Maker that came with one of my Fugi digital cameras. I use a Kodak camera now, but I still use my Image Maker.
    Penny
    p.s. Thanks for the nice words about Kims mosaic birdhouse! About my herbs. I have had them for about two weeks now and they are still doing great. Feel free to email me if you have questions.

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.