A Haven for Vee

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Joseph's Song

Understanding the entire story requires thinking about it in many different ways. My favorite way to fully appreciate a movie or a book is to study it from the viewpoint of just one person. My friend Beth taught me this when Forrest Gump first came out and she had gone to see it repeated times. I asked her whatever she was doing and she said that she watched the movie from one character's viewpoint, then she returned to watch it from another's. Interesting and valuable on so many levels.

And that's really how I became interested in Joseph's part of the Nativity story. He is so vague a character, yet he played such a crucial role. I want to know more about Joseph. I really do.



Joseph's Song
by Michael Card

How could it be this baby in my arms
Sleeping now, so peacefully
The Son of God, the angel said
How could it be

Lord I know He's not my own
Not of my flesh, not of my bone
Still Father let this baby be
The son of my love

Father show me where I fit into this plan of yours
How can a man be father to the Son of God
Lord for all my life I've been a simple carpenter
How can I raise a king, How can I raise a king

He looks so small, His face and hands so fair
And when He cries the sun just seems to disappear
But when He laughs it shines again
How could it be


Clicking on the words to the song will take you to YouTube where you can see a meaningful video and listen to the words. I hope that you will enjoy that as much as I have enjoyed this song since I first heard it years ago.

Picture Source (Now there's some meaning if one wants to peel back the layers...we are adopted into God's family just as Joseph adopted Jesus as his very own.)

7 comments:

  1. Vee,
    Today you have blessed my heart and renewed the wonder of being a daughter of the King! Thank you,
    Miss Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, being a Catholic we always talked about the Holy Family and St. Joseph was always used as the inspiration for fatherhood...nowadays the Church is going through some rough PR problems...I hope they get it back on track...that was a lovely post and now am headed over to utube...thanks Vee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard that before. It was just beautiful. Thank you for posting it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard a message on Joseph last Sunday. He must have been quite a guy...he listened, he obeyed, and he never said anything (there are no quotes by Joseph in the Bible). He was a man of very strong character who trusted God, even when it seemed crazy! We can learn from him all right. That's a beautiful song!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a sweet picture, too, Vee. Thanks for reminding us all about Joseph. He was a special man. Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vee, don't be nervous...velveeta has never killed anyone...and listen, on trays at parties in England we always served fruit,(sliced pears in particular) chocolate, cheese and cookie crisps, not to mention savory crackers...I know it may sound strange, but believe me, you will not regret this...my velveeta sits on the counter as I type...get a grip girl! Would Paula Deen lie to you? Better yet, would I lie to you?????
    xo
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just realized that i am going backwards.
    no great detective here!

    in many ways, joseph was thehero of the
    story. i love that, even though he had
    every right to cast mary out, his heart was
    moved by the Lord.

    how many of us have missed our 'joseph'
    opportunities?

    i am having Christmas in may!

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.