A Haven for Vee

Monday, April 14, 2008

A Wee Tour

Inspired by Barbara's Walk-About House Tour, I've decided to post some photos taken Saturday on our way home from the big city. Once we were within five miles of home, I took photos all the way in and down to my own former home risking life and limb. Oh yes! Barbara has confessed that this photo taking of other people's homes can be scary, which is exactly why I put my camera on the sports setting, zoomed in, and just shot away as we zipped on by. It's not always perfect, but let's see what we have.

Sandi says that one day, if I ever find myself in her corner, she'll give me the tour of the great antebellum homes. What a perfect reason to head for Chesterfield County! She loves great old homes with a history. So do I and, though there are no mansions here, where I know something about the home, I will share. Otherwise, I'll allow the homes/scenes to speak for themselves. (I know this, there'll be a whole lot of painting going on after this rough winter.)

Let's get this show on the road...





Do those not look as if I had been standing in the center of the highway in oncoming traffic?









The following is an example of the ubiquitous New England Cape Cod style. This style has been popular since before the name was coined in 1800. This particular home is about 25 years old.



Yet another example of a Cape Cod or what is sometimes called a New England primitive. I can tell you that this home has beautiful wide planked flooring throughout and was completely restored in the primitive style some years ago. It is a beautiful home despite what some might consider its plain and unadorned exterior. (I think Robin will love it, though.)



We do have our share of "baloney architecture." (I think my current home qualifies and it has been an ongoing joke with the carpenter. Disclaimer: the following photo is not my home. ;>) Here, you'll see what I mean by "baloney."





I love barns...missed the entire house; at least, I got the barn!





This former one-room schoolhouse has been transformed to a cozy home.



On the homestretch...new construction



This old home has been lovingly restored over many years. It features so many wonderful architectural details including beautiful flooring throughout. It also features a "set down" family room where the former shed was. A common feature of New England homes is the attached barn, which this home has, but the photo doesn't show.



The next photo shows the brass deer (click on photo to see) located as an integral part of the landscaping beside the home above. I once had the brilliant idea to use the deer as part of a Christmas float in a parade. The homeowner gave me permission with a grin knowing full well that there was no way that I could use that deer. (It was placed there with a crane.)



Keeping it real...the trailer park...


Definitely on the home stretch.









The picture below is a good example of an attached barn. This was my former home and it was always great to walk out the back kitchen door, through the pantry, into the attached shed, then on to the barn where the car was located. Very convenient on cold winter days! This home features a wide planked kitchen floor that has been painted yellow and stenciled. The current homeowner has kept that feature. There are hardwood floors throughout, the horsehair plaster has long since been removed. It also has a front hall stairway and an open kitchen stairway. Lots of great architectural features. I could go on and on, but I'll stop.



And we end this picture story right in my daughter's backyard. We hauled in her purchases and she slapped her bedroom together in no time. I'm asking her for permission to show you those before and afters on Wednesday.



Have a great Monday!

18 comments:

  1. If there is one thing I truly love it is architecture! Loved this tour and the style of the homes in your area. I may be stealing this idea for a post only not showcasing my neighborhood, unless you want me to show you a variety of trees, trees, and more trees! I have mentioned before that I live in the middle of the woods and neighbors are very sparse, but old downtown here has some of the most wonderful and eclectic styles of homes. There is one Queen Anne in particular that I have wished to tour or even live in! Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An attached barn? I've never heard of such! It makes so much sense to me, though. Down south, we (I say "we" like I can actually speak for every southener! lol) prefer our garages, etc. DEtached. We had a detached garage at our home in Florida that was slightly over 1/2 the size of our house. It was great for refinishing furniture, storing extra stuff, working on the cars, building woodworking projects...it even had a an enclosed space that I used for storing my Christmas stuff. (Dang. I miss that garage.) Anyway, the point I was making...was that it was great having it seperate for noise issues and fumes, but I have to admit that when the weather was bad, traipsing over to the garage was a pain in the butt. And I can just imagine way up north, getting up on a cold February morning and having to trudge over to the barn to milk the cows! Having the barn attached is BRILLANCE! lol

    And those houses look fantastic...I can just imagine them all in the fall. I have GOT to take a tour thru New England this fall. It's on my list of things to do. (That list seems to be getting longer, rather than shorter!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the tour -- I really enjoyed seeing all the old New England style homes, and just the word "wide plank flooring" has me drooling. LOL
    xoxo,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time here at you blog, it is very interesting to follow!
    I am a swedish woman living in Singapore, you are more than welcome to visit me:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the tour so much. I can remember my grandfather's talking about attached barns--for some reason this really fascinated him as bank barns are the norm here. I recall a few years ago "This Old House" worked on a beautiful home with an attached barn. They tore that part down but rebuilt it as a huge family room and garage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tour of homes and your little town :). I love barns too, I want to take some pictures this summer as we have lots of them in Minnesota, not as many as there used to be as the small farm is dying out.

    I love the attached barn...we actually have homes that were once a barn now turned into a home. That must be a huge undertaking.

    I thought for sure that brass deer was real! I can't wait to see the before and afters!

    Have a wonderful Munday!
    Kathi :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the house tour. Some really nice houses. I have always liked cape cods and lived in one in that looks just like the blue one.
    I would love to take a look inside all those houses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the tour. What a great idea. It's interesting how different the architectural styles are as you travel around the country...the world. Thanks for the peek inside your world.

    - Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

    ReplyDelete
  9. antebellum?.... be back later...gotta go read Wikipedia.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely place you live! Fun to see it through your eyes (lens)...

    Happy NOT Monday!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the tour darlin'! I miss trees and all the different styles of houses!
    Thanks!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful countryside. I really love barns. Yeterday as we were driving, I casually said. . oh I'd have to get into the field to get a good picture of that one. . .I then began to scan the field for cows.
    Great tour Vee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep. I recognize that place.. (not really but it looks like it could be my neighborhood!) I think you caught the essence of everything New England in that little tour!
    Thank you!
    xoxo~
    Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for the tour, Vee! I love New England homes! Has your snowbank disappeared yet? Or should I even ask? :)
    xo,
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the little tour of your neighborhood Vee! I love New England and we often we take car rides up to visit different spots in the summer or fall. I've been all through Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. My brother lives near New Bedford Mass, and I love all the history there.
    My husband will never forget our ride up Mount Washington in New Hampshire! He was truly white knuckled frightened making that drive, but oh, what a view from the top! :-)

    I wrote about a local famous historic cemetery on my blog today!Hope you come by for a visit.

    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all of it but that is one outstanding picture of the barn...Have a beautiful tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved seeing your former home...so much charm...and I also loved that "rustic" Cape. I laughed at your story about the deer. Sounds like something that would happen to you!!

    Thanks Vee!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so glad that I did not miss these. Thanks for letting me know. I was scrolling through your blog late at night but wonder how on earth I missed these. All exactly as I remembr New England when driving through and staying there.
    I do like yur former home. I like the porches or venranders just like early homesteads. Thank you glad you did it.

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.