A Haven for Vee

Friday, October 17, 2008

A Surprise and an Interview

Imagine my standing at the kitchen sink washing up breakfast dishes quite late in the morning when the phone rings. I wipe my hands quickly on the nearest dish towel and cross the room to answer. (John is tethered to his neck harness.) The lovely voice at the other end says, "Hello, Vee?" I rack my brain trying to think of someone who knows me by that name. (Long story.) I listen and realize that I am speaking with Linds. Linds! Our own dear Linds. What great fun to chat with her and, let me tell you, she has the most lovely, refined feminine voice. Oh it was great fun to have a conversation with her. I hope that I didn't sound the total ninny as I am so fond of accents (of course, I don't have one) that I can slip into mimicking a person. Did you catch me, Linds? I only slipped once. I hope. Thank you so much for the day brightener, my friend!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I spent a leisurely afternoon and evening with my grandmother yesterday and decided to ask her some of those questions that a few of you have been interested in. Here's something of how the conversation went.

Me: To what do you attribute your long life, Nan?

Nan: Guess that the good Lord didn't want me yet. The relative who lived the longest only lived to be eighty so it can't be good genes or maybe Grammy was going to live to be older before she got typhoid fever and died.

Me: Do you have any beauty secrets?

Nan: Well I was always told that I have a nice smile. I think a good smile is a woman's best secret. I wouldn't get a facelift or anything.

Me: Why not?

Nan: Because I have always felt that I should be happy with myself no matter my age.

Me: What keeps you going?

Nan: I'm very interested in my family and I'm very curious about a lot of things. I always have been. So I keep reading and playing the piano and having good conversations. I like to go places.

Me: What's the biggest change that you've seen in your lifetime?

Nan: I really don't know. (She pauses to think and screws up her face.) I guess that I would have to say the computer.

Me: How have you gotten through tough times?

Nan: Well, when your grandfather died just 24 days after a cancer diagnosis, I spent a lot of time asking God why me. I mean there were some real bad men who didn't have anyone or anything and they wouldn't have been missed, but your grandfather was such a good man and I loved him so much. He did almost everything for me and I was totally lost without him. Finally, I just said to myself that I had to go on. I had to go on living. Life is for the living. With the help of the good Lord, I was able to move on.

Me: Any advice for mothers or grandmothers or great-grandmothers or great-great-grandmothers?

Nan: Just love. (She pats my hand and repeats, "Just love.")

Me: *Sniff* Thanks, Nan.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
By the way, just in case anyone didn't already know that Miss Sandy is a genius. Check out her comment on yesterday's first post about how to disguise a tv. I am beside myself at the possibilities. Thank you so much, Miss Sandy!

21 comments:

  1. Your Grandmother sounds like a real sweetie. My parents and I lived with my grandparents until I was 9 years old. (Long story...) I was SO CLOSE to my grandmother. Your post made me think of her and smile.

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How precious is your Nan! You made me smile before I'm off to work! Thank you :)

    Have a wonderful day Vee.
    Kathi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very special to have such a long relationship with a loving grandmother...a rare gift indeed. I never knew any of my grandparents; they had passed before I was born.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful interview, Vee. I'm so honored to have met your Nan through this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, your conversation with your grandmother had me wishing I could speak to mine...but I'll have to wait til I get to Heaven...she's one of the first that I'm going to seek out....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed this post immensely, Vee. What a great lady and I feel she says it all with her "just love" comment. How true and such good advice.

    Have a nice weekend,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you interviewed your Nan...and put it on paper for us all to see. So special! Just love...no matter what comes our way...the best advice.

    I think I'll give you a call one of these days just to check up on your non-accent. As you know, we Canadians do not have accents either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vee,
    If you read my post yesterday you would not think I am such a genius but a ninny! Thank you for the high compliment and I will revel in it until my next blooper!

    I just adore your nan, she is a darling and her advice choked me up. She is sweetness and light, you are so blessed to have her.

    I'm off to see what kind of mischief I can get into today! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like your grandparents had (have) one of THOSE love stories. So precious.

    I agree with her about the facelifts (but, to be honest, I probably only agree because I can't afford one. LOL).

    Loved Miss Sadny's idea, too. You know, I think if we could invent a screen to slip over a tv that would make it look like something else, we'd be RICH. :)

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Nan is adorable. She really does have a lovely smile! I hope you enjoy the same blessings of a long life as she has.

    Vee, I honored you today on my blog. I think you are terrific and said so! ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wise woman your grandmother is and she does have a great smile!!
    I love when she said that she felt she should be happy with herself no matter what age she is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH Vee, I love the interview with your nana. My boys interviewed both my beloved's dad and my mom for a school project . .and those interviews are so precious since they since passed away.
    I love your nanas advice too .. just love. . such a good bit to chew on.
    oh .. and the accents and mimmicing. I do that too .. .I wonder what the two of us would sound like after an hour. . it would be a funny mix.
    When Jill came to see me from Texas. . .she couldn't get over "my" accent. .. she said it was lyrical . .go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have so enjoyed getting to know Nan. Thank you for sharing her with us!!!!!

    LaTeaDah

    ReplyDelete
  14. How sweet your grandmother is! She sounds so much like mine - my Nanny lost her husband, my Pawpaw, after a couple of heart attacks. Back in '63, they didn't know about by-pass surgery. I miss him so. Nanny was the same way. She lived another 35 years without him, but she had to make herself go on, get a driver's license and get a job. She only had a 3rd grade education, but she taught herself enough reading & math that she got by. But she was ready every single day of that 35 years to go be with the Lord and my Pawpaw. She often prayed it. But I'm glad I had her longer. I had the great privilege of being alone with her holding her hand when she died. (think I told you that???)
    How blessed and lucky you are to still have her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely interview with your Nan, Vee! There are so many things I wish that I'd been able to ask my grandmother before she died ... we were close but I was in my early 20's when she died and just didn't have the same perspective that I did ten years later.
    xo,
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Wow, great interview, Vee! Your Grandmother is a very intelligent lady...there's no doubt she's done her share of teaching through the years!
    hugs
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vee, that is the nicest interview I think I've ever read. What wise woman. Her thoughts about her husband brought a tear to my eye. All you need is love, indeed. And I liked what she said about being curious and having good conversations. I think she nailed it there.

    You are a chip off the block, I can see.

    Love and hope all is well. I missed it - what happened to John? Hope he is okay!!

    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just Love!!!!! The best advise I have ever heard...m...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Nan is a wonderful Lady, Vee! I like her secret to long life ...just love!

    If you like accents you should hear mine...oh boy that would give you a LOT to mimick! LOL!!! I can never hide where I'm from.

    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vee you post so many to catch up on when I come over.
    I liek the easel just where it is.
    The yellow cake looks scrummy too.

    What fun to have a phone call from Linds and I loved your interview with your Grandmother. I would love to have elderly relatives to sit down and aske them questions like that. Maybe I don't because i am tooold myself!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sniffing myself... what a treasure! How precious those words are and filled with wisdom. Thank you dearly for sharing that insight into a precious lady's heart with us.

    Blessings,
    Christi

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.