A Haven for Vee

Saturday, November 1, 2008

November Comes

November comes
And November goes,
With the last red berries
And the first white snows.

With night coming early,
And dawn coming late,
And ice in the bucket
And frost by the gate.

The fires burn
And the kettles sing,
And earth sinks to rest
Until next spring.


~Clyde Watson


November brings my favorite holiday and all the cozy warmth of browns and golds, coppers and bronze. We'll not discuss what else November brings.

Winter berries must be harvested soon to use in Thanksgiving and Christmas decor. If one waits much longer, the bears, deer, and birds will have eaten them all up. We got ours from John's property from this very bush, which does not look so full and lovely anymore. Along one of our highways lives a lady who has a giant winterberry bush with a sign that says: Do NOT cut my berries! They do look beautiful against the snow. (No, we have no snow yet. I'm just using my imagination; to imagine snow is not too difficult, unfortunately. Oh dear! And I said that we wouldn't discuss this.)



Have a wonderful weekend, Dear Ones. I'll catch you Monday I hope!

12 comments:

  1. oh Vee....I have been remiss in not visiting all my friends here in blogland. I have been busier than usual...can it keep getting that way? Anyway....thanks for being a good friend and I had to chuckle at your post on MGCC! Ha...you got us all pegged by now I am sure. I never thot of it but I guess our personalities do come through in the food we prepare...hmmm....grin! Have a good weekend. Blessing on you as you go into the next few weeks.... the election and thanksgiving..I hope they can be one in the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of winter berries but I have certainly heard of snow!

    I thought that was an adorable poem Vee and so apt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet poem. Never seen before.

    We are "getting into" November, aren't we? :-) And we seem to be trying to look on the bright side.

    Might as well. We can't stop the changing of the seasons. They come, whether we like it or not.

    And yes, Thanksgiving is so nice. Cozy and yummmy food and No Presents To Have To Buy!!! ,-)

    Oooops, I nearly slipped into my Dec. stuff. The *dreaded* moaning about how Christmas is so ding-dang commercialized by adds... Buy, buy, buy... and "show your love." Etc. And... S-T-O-P! I can put that off for a few weeks, I do believe. ,-))))))))

    November hugs,
    Miss Mari-Nanci

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw some berries out there in the garden - I must pick them too for Christmas. Have a great weekend, Vee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vee, are you talking about snow? Hee Hee. . . from your Canadian west coast friend.. . .where it rarely snows. . .(ducking now)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm, that pie looks heavenly, it make my mouth water for Thanksgiving when I will have a taste. The berries are beautiful with nary a flurry in sight! Happy Saturday Vee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. November arrived with a brisk wind...and leaves blowing hither and yon. We know winter's coming...but seasons are great!

    Nice poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely poem and I too lve this time of year. Though we don't see much snow here is the south, it is beautiful when we do get some!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the poem and your photo! If I weren't already in a fall mood, stopping by here would have done the trick!

    Just wanted to let you know that the Giving Thanks challenge begins today over at my place. I hope you'll be able to participate again this year!

    ~ Leah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful poem and the photo of the pies made my mouth water! I think pumpkin pie is my favorite -- although I'd never turn down a slice of any pie! (which makes me wonder -- did you see the movie "The Waitress"? I had to bake a pie after eatching it! lol)

    The winter berries are pretty! Yes,I do think we'll be seeing a lot if white stuff this winter but shhhh-- we won't talk about that until Decemebr I hope!

    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a great weekend Vee - and guard those berries.

    It's warming up a lot as we approach summer here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm patiently waiting for pumpkin pie... Loved the poem!

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.