A Haven for Vee

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day



Friday night as I was at the checkout, the cashier asked if the items I was purchasing were a Mother's Day gift for my mom. Whyever would a tea cup, tea, marmelade, a Ritter Sport, stationery, a candle and a list book look like Mother's Day gifts? I smiled and said that they were. She said, "I lost my mother this year. You are so blessed to still have yours." I nodded. Oh, yes, I am blessed! At a loss for words, I couldn't say what a year it's been for my family. And, too, I wanted to somehow comfort her in her loss. In the end, she comforted me by saying, "She is always with me."

And that's how most of us experience our mothers. She is indeed always there. Her voice is heard long after the actual sound of her voice is forgotten. We remember how she would have reacted in this situation or that. Her admonishments and encouragements are with us. I know these things because my grandmother tells me how much she longs to see her mother again; yet, her mother has always been with her. Isn't God good to give us mothers? And isn't He good to remind us that even if our fathers and mothers forsake us, He will be there?

You've always been right there for me;
don't turn your back on me now.
Don't throw me out, don't abandon me;
you've always kept the door open.
My father and mother walked out and left me,
but God took me in.
~Psalm 27:10 The Message

Edited to Add: May 9, 2020

Revisiting this post, I was surprised to see this scripture quoted from that source. I have since found it to be less than an accurate one, though it certainly can be poetic.

When my father and my mother forsake me, then the Lord will take me up. ~Psalm 27: 10 KJV