A Haven for Vee

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

It's Not All About Alzheimer's Pt.2

Hmmm, not sure about that header. I've been waiting so patiently for the Bolero lilies to bloom, too...

Though I said that my blog wouldn't be all about the trouble of this day, I just wanted to document. The social worker thinks there may be help, but it won't come in the form of daycare as Nan is beyond that at this point. The SW feels that what we have is a "failure to thrive" and that Hospice Care should be called in. Taking a deep breath even as I type this.

It's not that I feel that there is any tragedy in living to be 100. There is not. I guess that the term failure to thrive sounds bad and as if it may be a finger pointing at the quality of the care my grandmother has received while with me. Both my mother and the social worker say that isn't so. It's my insecurity, my problem.

I'm not sure what this will all mean yet. The ball begins to roll tomorrow as the assessment team arrives. Oh boy. As I thought, Nan had a very hard struggle with this discussion. I found her weeping later in the day and through her gasps she told me how afraid she is. I just hugged her and told her that she was safe and secure and that there'd never be a time when she was abandoned. Not ever.

A huge thank you to all who commented on yesterday's post. You gave me such sound suggestions and I pondered all day on what you said. And I've ordered books, too!

Thanks as well for responding to the comments on/comments off question. Today, I'm closing comments as you've invested so much already. Gentle hugs all the way around.