A Haven for Vee

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Mandevilla Progress, Etc.

Thought that you might like to see how far up the trellis the mandevilla has gone. I noticed that it has kept right on going up the garage wall as of this morning. Now if we ever see blooms on all that climbing foliage, I'll be impressed.

My sister made me an offer I shouldn't have refused, but had to. She and her husband have decided to sell their home instead of rent it. All her garden beds are sorely overgrown and she offered me lots of perennials if I wanted to come dig them out. Unfortunately, Nan is really not able to make the drive and I am not able to leave her with John for such an extended length of time. Oh well! What might've been. You may remember my sister's gardens from *this* post.

I did receive this rabbit from her that I named "Johnny Rabbit," which is an old childhood nickname of John's. Seems he had a few pet rabbits and then he went into business, at the tender age of four, selling rabbit poo. He received a quarter for a Quaker's Oats box full. I love to imagine him as cute little entrepreneur.

Anyway, I hope that Johnny Rabbit is serving as a guard of some sort against the groundhogs that still are digging and roaming and eating my plants and driving me foolish. Yes, 'tis true, nearly everything drives me foolish anymore.

Since I'm in the mood for displaying tall and narrow photos, I'll show you another...

I grew tired of seeing all the hooks usually filled there empty so tossed my log cabin birdhouse upon it. Now I may not allow anyone to hang a jacket or sweater there anymore. Yes, that's a vintage medicine chest by the main door. We hang our keys in there; I have my lipstick in there and a bit of perfume; we  also keep the flashlight in there. Soon, I'm planning a makeover on the inside. I'm fine with the outside except for the handle...still looking for the closure style that it had once upon a time.


This is what my garden has come to in the past few weeks.


Something has been munching on just about everything, but doesn't it make for a lacy looking fern? It looks as if I coffee stained it, too. I've been doing a lot of coffee staining lately.

Guess that's all I have saved in my bloggy stash for today. Hope that your Tuesday is going great!

17 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting how we like to change things up in our environments - a bunny here, with memories to make us smile, a birdhouse on an empty rack - touches that add personality and whimsy.
    Your medicine cabinet is a treasure indeed, looking forward to seeing what you will do with the inside.

    hope your day is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your music! Very nice hook and birdhouse. Oh to not have decorative hooks loaded down with unnecessary things! good luck! Beautiful plant and trellis by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! Your little birdhouse is so cute! I hope you are having a great week!...hugs....Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are great! I love your little touches that make your home. The medicine cabinet by the door is genius! I think critters are munching on everything right now that might contain just a drop of water. (Our goats have demolished 16 rose bushes; not for the water, but because they know I dislike them.) This heat is brutal!

    I hope your mandevilla blooms for you. I would love to see it with all the greenery it has growing.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. That mandevilla will be beautiful there. You are so creative. I love the old medicine cabinet being used to store keys and the birdhouse is the perfect touch.
    Bugs are such a pest in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mandevilla is getting so big. I have a moon vine that is growing by leaps and bounds, but not a single bloom. I can't figure that one out.
    What a shame that you weren't able to take some plants from your sister. The bunny she gave you is darling as is the story of John as a young entrepreneur.
    The birdhouse looks great on your cute decorative hook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have been plagued with japanese beetles this year. I think it is my Mom's fault, really. She usually put up a trap and all of the beetles flock to her yard. We told her she was basically calling them in ...now we have them....boo-hoo. LOL

    I love the idea of your medicine cabinet just inside the door. To have your lipstick and keys tucked away and yet handy...love it!

    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Johnny Rabbit....and love that John sold rabbit poo at 4 years old! What a wonderful story....love it!

    The birdhouse looks great on the hook....and I think your med cab is a perfect place to put keys and lipstick...
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  9. My garden is in sad shape this year ... much, much too hot, too little rain and the weeds and bugs have taken over! I have a lot of those lacy leaves! :) The rabbit is so cute!

    xo,
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Mandavilla will be lovely when it gives up some blooms.

    My guess on that leaf munching critter is Japanese Beetles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Japanese beetles have eaten everything in site here. I wish they would go back to Japan.

    Love the photograph.. you made a pesky problem beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The trellis plants are doing nicely!! Very pretty.
    The lacy leaf is pretty. I've noticed a few grasshoppers about eating some of my plants.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos...that is a good idea for a medicine chest, esp. one that looks like yours! And I really like that birdhouse on the hook, too.

    Another great post, I really enjoy coming here...you always have something to make us smile! Have a wonderful day. ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the changes..darling birdie house :-) and the "lace" ? Looks cool..but....just go find a really really fat bug that's been doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well my friend you have been the busy bee - 13 posts that I had to read and catch-up on! I love the medicine chest and that you shared what you have in it:)

    Just 79 more blogs to read and I'm caught up!

    So glad that you are my friend!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, that must have been hard to have to
    pass on your sister's beautiful perennials!

    your birdhouse is adorable, and i love that
    you keep lipstick at the ready, too. i have
    them stashed all around the house.

    otherwise i look like death warmed over.

    love,
    lea

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your birdhouse looks so pretty hanging from that hook! I love your new header, too, Vee! It's such a pretty pale pink lacy flower....very Victorian looking.

    I hope your sister will be able to dig out a few of her perennials for you before she leaves, Vee!

    I remember being so sad when my only sister moved to AZ...even though we were years apart in age and not especially close, a sister is a sister.

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.