A Haven for Vee

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Remembering Mom


How the years fly by. It has been a year since we said our farewells to one of the dearest on earth.

I, of course, did not know my mother in 1936 or 1940; however, I love to see the photos of her sweet little girl self all dressed in her winter best smiling for the camera.  We noted when going through the old photos how many were taken with a rabbit or a neighbor's dog. She so loved animals even though she never had a childhood pet. She more than made up for it once she had her own home ensuring that my sister and I had many.

Grief is such a complicated thing. I don't need to tell you that. There are good days; there are very bad days. One never knows when the grief will swell and crash over oneself. Just yesterday, my daughter shared with me the story of selecting a sympathy card as she wept. (She's very tenderhearted that gal of mine.) Next to her at the card counter stood another weeping woman. They comforted one another, selected the same card, and moved on. That's probably the best that we can say of experiencing grief. It gives us insight so that we may comfort others.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
~II Corinthians 1:3–4  

One thing is certain. No one escapes grief.

My sister sent me a beautiful bouquet yesterday. I wish that I had also sent her one. My mind does not bend so thoughtfully.

Her card said simply: Remembering Mom

Though we know where Mother is and we know that we will see her again, it does not change our reality: we miss her! Terribly. Achingly.