A Haven for Vee

Friday, December 12, 2014

December Photo Challenge

This month's photo challenge is Christmas Scenes. I actually read all the articles that our hostess graciously provided and determined that I would try to copy one of the photos that I very much enjoyed. Wait. I'll go see if I can find it...
Ahhh, yes, here it is in in *this article* photo #2. I'll let you decide how close I came. ☺
So I started a few days ago when the weather was most uncooperative. The light just wasn't right during the day and nightime hours provided me with that light I love—all orange-y and warm—however, most people shudder to see it. 
I can show you...

This morning we woke to tracings of snow on branches and pale blue sky with some weak sun. I took my chance to re-photograph my subjects, which were two antique ornaments from my collection. (I don't actually have them on display this year and they will be returning to their storage soon.)


Here they are rather lost in the muddle middle. An antique Santa who looks more like an angry gnome and three acorns surrounded by oak leaves. It pleases me to think that these once hung on my great-grandparents' tree at the turn of the 20th Century.
What'sa matter, Santa? Have I been naughty again?


All photos were taken on automatic with a Coolpix P7100. I cropped, used frames (transparent and gradient 6 on Photoscape), auto corrected (low), auto contrasted (low),  and sharpened on level 5. I added the default back lighting and put that warm glow I love on with the lowest setting of "bloom." This is not a good idea for everyone because it does take the clarity back down again. Then I zipped over to PicMonkey and wrote this thank you for a lady who has done so much to teach me what little I know about photography. Though I don't shoot in RAW, I shoot in auto, which she once told me that her Beloved did a lot.

Thank you is not enough, but it's a start.  

As most of you know, Donna will not be with us for this challenge because she is caring for her Beloved. It is a credit to her that we have been allowed to carry on without her today. Donna has said that this is her last photo challenge. I understand that and hope to honor her commitment with this little post.

Thank you for looking. I am closing comments today.