A Haven for Vee

Monday, May 22, 2017

In Memoriam

It will be worth it all when we see Jesus,
Life's trials will seem so small when we see Christ;
One glimpse of His dear face all sorrow will erase,
So bravely run the race till we see Christ.

~Esther Kerr Rusthoi



My father passed from this life to the next on May 17 nearing the midnight hour. He was 87 years old. 


I am so grateful for the time I had with him in the past nine months to forge ahead in a new relationship. Our second one was very different from the first and built around a mutual love of family history, godly music, and The Lord.


He loved hearing stories about my grands, his greats. I could always get a chuckle out of him. The greats were so upset upon learning the news that they remained home from school for the day. The youngest visited me the following evening and we talked about Heaven. Jakob said that one always feels better after talking about Heaven. Now that's the truth! 


I spent last Tuesday with my father and we had a good day. He had enjoyed the Meatza Pie and the Rhubarb Custard Pie I had made special for him. 


We watched Christian broadcasting all day long. As far as I know they never sing his two favorite hymns: Faith of Our Fathers and A Mighty Fortress is Our God, but that did not seem to matter to him. He loved the singing all the same. At one point, I began thumping a beat to the hymn Feeling Mighty Fine when I became aware that I was annoying my dad mightily. He was giving me "the look." Ha! Now that felt more like the old days. I apologized, stopped thumping, and all was well. You can find a rendition ♪here♪ sung by three brothers (family harmonies are always great).


This news has been placed on a Sunday because it is easiest for us all. I appreciate very much the many prayers that have been prayed through the years for my dad and for me. They worked. Thank you. 



~Christmas 2002 (we think)~



My dad had a big personality and will be much missed. My sister and brother-in-law describe how empty their home is without him. Believe me, we all have our memories and our stories. They may become the stuff of  family legend and lore. ッ 

One day, I will be reunited with my parents, my grandmothers, my darling John, and all those who have gone before who knew The Lord. Until that day, with the help of The Lord, with joy I'll carry on...

Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 
~Hebrews 12:1&2


Dad was braver than he knew...


left to right first row and on the floor: My New York City niece and my hometown niece; left to right in the chairs or on them: My mother, my maternal grandmother, my daughter Laurel; top row: my sister, my father, and myself

🌷🌷🌷

Edited to Add: Some have been able to see this post; most have not. I have decided to repost. Comments do remain closed even though this was first posted on Sunday, May 21. Today was my day to be with my father so he is very much on my mind and I, apparently, don't have enough to do.