This watching of old PBS programming is reminiscent of the winter five years ago when I watched one show after another of Larkrise to Candleford. My mother had passed and I needed diversion of the highest order. Larkrise to Candleford helped get me through until spring when I could gain some equilibrium.
- 1 1/2cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar (feel free to skimp if applesauce is also sweetened)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts are optional
1. preheat oven to 350°
2. grease and flour a standard bread loaf pan
3. mix eggs, sugar, oil, add in applesauce, mix well
4. Into flour, add dry ingredients and, using whisk, stir well
5. Add flour mixture slowly to wet mixture
6. When well incorporated, fold in walnuts, if desired
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 60 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick or cake tester. It may take up to 20 minutes longer.
Cool on wire rack
Yummy! Better the second day...