A Haven for Vee

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Cross Creek

Right now it's early morning and I am blogging instead of folding the laundry. I don't plan to fold any laundry today either here at my own home or at my parents' home where I am caring for my grandmother. Nan is a good sleeper and loves to sleep in until nine every morning. This gives me the chance to run home for a couple of hours and do whatever needs doing...like blog writing.

We, Nan and I, spend much of our day reading. She is reading a Catherine Cookson novel and I am reading Cross Creek by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings. Rawlings is perhaps more familiar as the author of The Yearling. Marjorie would have made a wonderful blogger. Cross Creek is the story of her life in Florida. Although not one bit politically correct, it is still rich and wonderful. It was, after all, written in a different time. Nevertheless, I'm loving it.

My book is a vintage volume purchased from Abe Books for a mere dollar. I love the heron embossed in silver on the cover.

Vintage books are lovely things!

No comments:

Post a Comment

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.