A Haven for Vee

Monday, November 28, 2022

Thanksgiving 2022 in Oakland

Oh my! Yes, Laurel more than surprised both her brother and me. Everything was so lovely, smelled so good, and tasted so fine. I was especially pleased that I did not have to prepare anything more than a pecan pie. Adam made his famous dinner rolls while Michelle baked a pumpkin pie and bought a chocolate cream pie from the library's annual sale. 


(We were down by one as Jake has declared himself a hunter who will no longer be attending our Thanksgivings. 😢)


This was Laurel's table theme with the sweet table runner that I first saw at Betsy's right *here.* When I saw that runner, I thought it would be perfect for Laurel's riverside cabin up in the semi-north woods. I had no idea that she would be moving to a new home closer to civilization. I also purchased one for Michelle and one for my sister. Both Laurel and Kim have enjoyed theirs. 

Michelle has hers packed away because she thought it was a pillow cover. It might be especially appreciated by Jake at their home these days. 🦌 Laurel bought her table and chairs new for our holiday. It was very nice seating...no one was crowded.

Speaking of table runners, Betsy has many beautiful tablescapes from which to gather ideas. Her blog, named after her grandmother, is simply beautiful and, if you don't already, you would certainly love it there. Also, she has the best recipes. I have several on speed dial. 


Okay, back to Thanksgiving. Alas, I took hardly any photos. You know how my family is not a fan of picture taking. My grandkitty has no problems with it. He has a ghost cat visit regularly who asks the same question, "Can Charlie come out to play?" 


Here's Laurel preparing me a cup of peppermint tea. Yes, into every lovely time a clinker must fall. 😏


Don't worry, though, because 
when Laurel was taking me home Friday afternoon, she found a lovely lake side restaurant called Lintonia. It had the added bonus of an eagle in a tree just beside the restaurant. 


We had the best cup of coffee and delicious tacos. Laurel just found out that they closed for good the day after we were there. So sad all the businesses that are closing. It was a fabulous little restaurant. My sister and I had already made plans to visit soon.

Thank you for reading my simple Thanksgiving record. I have been enjoying reading yours.

Love,
Vee


20 comments:

  1. As I began my rounds this morning of blog reading, I began with VEE...and how lovely this post was! I cannot begin to thank you for the kind accolades and reference to my little blog....I am humbled....thank you! I was quite taken with your first photo...it was just lovely and simplistic....but spoke of holiday time.....so glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving day with family and good food. Warm hugs from me to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so delighted that you had a lovely Thanksgiving Day! Kudos to Laurel on her successful first Thanksgiving meal! It's a huge feat to pull off! Well done!

    Hopefully Jake won't always miss Thanksgiving. Likely feeling those first pulls of freedom now that he drives!

    I love seeing Eagles. It is very sad what has happened in two years to our previously thriving country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam is the one with a license and he was present and accounted for. 😁

      Delete
  3. I love that little owl in the decorations and the Eagle is magnificent. Thank you so much for your sweet words of comfort to me this morning. You have been through so much so I know you understand. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vee,

    What a nice Thanksgiving holiday you all had!! The kitty pictures are so cute. ;D I was glad to hear what a good job Lauren did with the Thanksgiving meal, because beginning next year, my sister and I will be doing Thanksgiving. It was apparent to us this year that my mom is worn out with doing it. She has certainly earned her retirement, but my sis and I are a little nervous about taking over. I think we all worry too much about making things perfect, when gathering with family is what really matters the most. What a shame about the new-to-you restaurant going out of business. The state of our country is so sad right now; it's all so unnecessary, and we certainly know who to blame for all of it.

    I, too, love Betsy's blog and am a faithful reader. Thank you for sharing your Thanksgiving memories with us, Vee! So glad you had a wonderful day!

    Warm hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely read this morning! Thank you so much for sharing all about your Thanksgiving! How wonderful that Laurel amazed you all and that it went so well.

    I did go and read at Betsy's place, my first visit there. Loved it!

    Now can you tell me where you purchased the table runners? One of those would be perfect for someone on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vee! I had a crazy day yesterday and was most remiss in not replying to your thoughtful email. I did check out the link and there were many things that caught my eye. It will be a tough choice! Thanks for sharing the info with me!

      Delete
  6. Well done, Laurel! I love to be treated this way, don't we all? It's nice to be the one who contributes to the 'Happy' in Happy Thanksgiving. The food sounds delicious. Her kitchen looks so tidy for hosting the meal. :) We are experiencing restaurants quitting around here. It's sad since we have so few. We had a grand kitty visit us this year, a first here. She survived and so did we. Happy that you were able to have a lovely gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a wonderful thanksgiving. I am sorry to hear that the restaurant closed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Thanksgiving post dear Vee - I always love reading of your family up in beautiful Maine. Stay warm now as Christmas preparations start - a busy time of year for us all!
    Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to read about your day of gratitude, Vee. Thanksgiving is always about family to me and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed seeing yours. Sorry that Jake didn't make it. I love seeing the eagle outside of the restaurant. Too bad so many small places have closed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely Thanksgiving for you to enjoy and not fuss over. Laurel sounds like a wonderful, thoughtful daughter. I hope that Jake will come to value family over hunting some year soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Thanksgiving sounds lovely. You are blessed to have such a daughter. :)
    I have a table runner that Ken's sister, Kathy made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How nice to enjoy Laurel's hospitality on Thanksgiving. That is a big job and it appears that she was up for the challenge. The table runner looks so pretty on her table. Sounds like your timing was just right on visiting the restaurant and sighting that eagle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a delightful Thanksgiving. The decor and table runner are beautiful. I love her kitchen also! Peppermint tea? Does that mean you didn't feel well? I hope you are feeling good now. I was sick last week and am still recovering. But we still managed to have a nice Thanksgiving...just not as planned. I am sorry to hear about the nice restaurant closing. This economy is so hard on small businesses...and on our own pocketbooks. Not sure how you all will manage to heat your homes this winter. Praying. Oh, I love the eagle. That is always a plus!!! God bless you dear friend in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Thanksgiving sounds like it was a wonderful day! I love the table runner, very festive but outdoorsy as well, so pretty. It's sad that small businesses are suffering. There are so many in my area who have had to close or cut their hours drastically. Laurel has always been such a treasure...what a blessing to have her closer to you. Hope you are feeling better. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. So nice that Laurel hosted you all this year! You may recall that Heidi did the same over here...had the whole shebang over at her place this year. Now that was simple, from my perspective! :) Sounds like it was a wonderful Thanksgiving for all...well, except for the missing hunter! And why can your hunter never again participate in Thanksgiving? I'm guessing he will be joining you again another year. Sorry about another favorite restaurant closing down. Looks like a neat place. As for eagles...they are back in my corner of the world for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You probably will understand that Thanksgiving got sidelined at our house, but I've been enjoying perusing other's celebrations as they post them online. I'm glad you had a lovely celebration with family. It is very sad to see small businesses continuing to close in this economy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your family celebration sounds like it was a wonderful holiday spent with family, Vee. That table runner looked lovely too.

    ReplyDelete