A Haven for Vee

Monday, December 12, 2016

Thursday Last


I feel like the White Rabbit just before he disappeared down the rabbit hole lamenting all the while I'm late, I'm late, for a terribly important date.  That many of us are feeling similarly is a sign of the season. It, whatever "it" is will all get done I keep telling myself...it always does.
 

One of the many things I am late about is this very post. So where were we? Ahhh, yes, Thursday last. I was saying that I was excited about the day, but did not share why because it is not always wise to share on a public blog that one will be away from home. Lots of us do, though, but perhaps some have a German Shepherd, a house sitter or nosy neighbors. I have none of those.


Earlier in the week, I had requested from my darling daughter a gift of her time and she had readily agreed asking me what I'd most like to do. (Laurel is a very busy woman with a full-time job and is also a full-time student so this was a big gift from her.) I replied that I wanted to see Abby. Well Laurel made it happen! 


Plans were made and so, on an overcast Thursday morning, we struck off. Destination: Moody's Diner, Waldoboro, Maine (at Abby's suggestion). We found her and her husband Bill waiting for us in a cozy, quiet corner tucked in the back. We spent a very pleasurable hour and more chatting and enjoying the iconic fare...Moody's is famous don'tcha know. (I am still chuckling over a story Abby told on her pastor husband that could be in one of those "God Has a Sense of Humor" books. Perhaps you can get her to share it on her blog, but only if Bill can handle it again. 😇)


Afterward, we visited Moody's Gift Shop and managed a bit of Christmas shopping. We gals were taken with a rack of cute gloves and each of us purchased a pair. This will become important in a bit. 


~Abby's Purchases~


It was just so good to see Abby and Bill again. This makes our 4th visit and I hope that there will be more once winter is past. Abby is so good at putting up with my nonsense. What nonsense you ask? Well, like forgetting the hour and putting in an urgent text request for photos that didn't even make the blog until today. Little stuff like that. 😏


You see, we did not take any photos. Zero, zip, nada. No photos of delicious hamburgers, sweet potato fries or fried eggs. No photos of steaming mugs of coffee. No desserts. No smiling faces or cute selfies. Sigh. I asked Abby what kind of bloggers we were anyway! Obviously, not the kind who take pictures.


So, in an effort to prove that we all were actually there together, I asked Abby to send a photo of her gloves and I'd share a photo of my gloves. I resisted the urge to ask Laurel to share a photo of her gloves because she pushes back against such silliness, unlike Abby who is longsuffering and tolerant. Shortly after sending my photo, Abby texted requesting that I rethink my photo as it looked as if I had missing fingers. LOL! Retake? I don't think so. Who knew that Abby was going to be a glove model stickler? 


~missing fingers and a mug for my dad who loves Moodys~


[Abby, have you worn your gloves beyond photo taking? They are soooo warm and comfortable...soft, soft, soft. They were perfect in yesterday's arctic blast.]


~Abby models her glove...now that's how you do it!~


Alas, we bid our goodbyes. Bill tried to sneak off without a hug, which I did not allow you'll be happy to know. There was a brief exchange of gifts and I am sharing one of mine next time. (Camera battery dead as a doornail.)


Feel free to split off if this post is growing too long. If? If? I hear you saying. 


Laurel and I visited another iconic Maine store called Hussey's General Store in Windsor where Laurel dropped a couple hundred buckaroonies just like that. (My sister bought her wedding gown there many moons ago.) Watching other people spend money is so satisfying to me and almost as good as if I had done so myself. I did buy a hat there for myself. I am spending way too much money this year on gifts for me. I have never done this before. Never!  I did consider making this purchase for my sister, but better sense prevailed.



Oh and mine is not a "what happens at Nana's house never happened" either. I have no intention of giving the grandsons free license to misbehave...I have higher standards for them than that!


~a capitol building Monet~


Laurel and I wound up our day shopping in Augusta, which happens to be the capital of Maine, and eating, yet again, at Pat's Pizza. I do love a thin, yummy crust.


↑When we got back into the car after eating, Laurel noticed this driver in the car beside us staring at her. She took a photo with her iPhone and he turned away. So funny as each time she put down the phone, he stared at us, and each time she picked it up, he turned away. We were tired and could have played at that game for some time. Poor Pup. 

~not Christmas music, but good music~


Then home with music in snow squalls. It was just a lovely day with my darling daughter who did all the driving. A total win~win for me.



How wonderful the ways that God gifts us with friends and family who make each day a little brighter and better. 

Thanks for reading today. You deserve a medal!


48 comments:

  1. Yes my dear friend, it was a delightful day. One I shall cherish. As for the gloves, the black pair is for me, the other pair will be given to my mother as a Christmas gift. I never thought of myself as longsuffering and tolerant, but I believe those are good attributes to have. Glad you had a wonderful day with your daughter that extended long after our visit. By the way, it's not easy to take a selfie of one's hand, it's just not. ~ Love Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will pass on the medal, for it was fun reading. Those gloves are so cute!! And I remember reading about Abby and Bill in an earlier post. Glad you were able to see them again. Also glad for your wonderful, tolerant and patient daughter who drove there through snow squalls. :-) Have a wonderful week. I wouldn't mind spending a couple days in a New England village. Love it there. I'll wait until summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely holiday excursion you had Vee. Reminds me so much of all those freezing snowy nights in Maine we had. So love your choice of warm woolen gloves...much needed. Visits like that and enjoying friends, family and good food is what the season is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can tell your outing did you a world of good. One of the things I lament about my daughters both living away. :( Those gloves are the prettiest I've ever seen! It's good that you are buying things for yourself. Sometimes you just have to 'break out' and do that. Happy to hear about your fun time. How I'd love to visit Maine again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No medal required, it was a pleasure to read about your Thursday outing.
    What a fun day you shared with Laurel, Abby and Bill. Wonderful memories being made.
    I couldn't imagine that driver staring into your car. It was sounding a bit creepy until I looked closer at the driver. :)
    Easy to see why the gloves were so popular. Stylish and cozy warm.. a winning combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful present that way, a day out with your daughter and meeting Abby and Bill for lunch. I love time with my daughters! Those gloves look so cozy! And interestingly retro. The buttons on them were on so many coats when I was growing up.....Be well! It's good to buy presents for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vee, That all sounds like a fun time . So glad your daughter was willing. Time is our most precious commodity. Love those cute gloves. Blessings to all of you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your delight in the day is evident in your writing. The gift of a day with your daughter is so loving. So glad you could meet up with Abby again. The gloves are pretty as well as cozy.
    About the snow - I wouldn't wax so eloquent about it if I was shoveling it in March or April. But I know it won't last more than a week or two, at best, so I delight in it when it comes. Now that we're home again, it's back to darkness and rain dripping on the roof.
    Stay cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a wonderful day and I really like both of your gloves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww a wonderful day indeed! Now I know why you were so excited. Your new gloves look warm and cozy and your words are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So that's what you were up to!! You had us all wondering! Sounds like a wonderful day. I'm glad you had such a happy outing with your daughter and got to see Abby and her husband again. We've had 8 to 9 inches of snow here, and I can't find my gloves!! Yours look super warm and cozy. xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything about this day sounds wonderful to me. The gloves are soo cute. HOW I'd love to share such a day with my daughter...oh the woes of the mom's with daughters who don't live close by. Enjoy the rest of your week Vee!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a wonderful day. Glad busy daughter could make it happen. I enjoy being with someone who spends money, too, especially if they decide to pick up the restaurant tab! Today I'm going shopping with our daughter but the difference will be that she will expect me to do the driving. We are headed to the navy exchange where no tax is applied to purchases. Woohoo! The other thing about the exchange is that daughter has to use her debit card for the purchases since she's the one with the military ID. I could "forget" to reimburse her for my purchases.:) I guess I shouldn't say when I'll be gone since I'm the nosiest neighbor around these parts. Love the gloves! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that sounds like an awesome day. So glad you were able to visit with your blog friend and hang with your daughter! The places you visited sound like places I would enjoy visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like a fun day and just the kind of gift I appreciate these days, time with my kids can't be beat! Pretty gloves!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a wonderful day out spending quality time with your dear daughter and friends. The gloves are lovely, always nice to gift yourself at this time of year. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been wondering about Thursday, Vee. How nice your daughter is to treat you to a whole day doing what you want to do! She's a special one! Your new gloves are so cute and I'm happy to hear, warm. What a good friend you have with Abby and I'm so happy you are able to visit a close to you blogger. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is nice to spend the day with one's daughter and best friends, Vee--glad you had the opportunity to do this plus Christmas shop! The gloves you and Abby bought are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was a delightful post! I felt like I was right there with you due to your wonderful descriptions. So glad you got to visit with Abby!! I know your visits with her and her hubby bless your heart.

    And what a sweet daughter you have!! The gloves look great. I am thinking about adding some buttons to a pair of mine -- they make a pretty accent!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A lovely, lovely day. All of the suspense was worth the wait! How wonderful to spend time with Abby and Bill -- what a blessing! -- and then to have your daughter's company the entire day. I got the biggest laugh out of the "driver in the car beside you". So dignified. I'm glad your daughter got a picture of him! Thanks for sharing this truly special day with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like a fabulous day together considering the nasty weather. I love the gloves! Quite lovely and elegant for a knitted glove.
    You are blessed to have those times with Abby. :)
    Now that poor pup...I had to laugh when you said he would look away every time you picked up your camera, sounds a lot like my Donatella.

    Nice to visit with you, Vee~~

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this! What a wonderful, chatty post!

    Those gloves are darling and they look warm! What a fun day you had with Laurel and Abby and Bill and shopping and food and fun. You even had snow squalls with Christmas music! What more could you ask for?

    This is the best kind of day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Alas, no Christmas music. Laurel likes Christian music, but not Christmas music. Who raised her?! That's why I have Spotify at your suggestion, Deanna.

      Delete
    2. We have to forgive her of this transgression! ;) I wanted to say too that I love your header!

      Delete
  23. That sounds like a perfectly wonderful day with your sweet daughter and friends. Love the gloves!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a happy wonderful post - I savored every word. So, how did you lose your four fingers, ma'am?

    Doggie pic is too cute.

    We got those squalls here and I finally some-what got in a better holiday spirit.

    Snow helps.

    Love these kinds of days you had - Laurel is a gem! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  25. It sounds as if you had a very happy day with your daughter and friends. I loved reading about your day. It sounds wonderful. What a blessing to have such a daughter as you do. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to tell you that I wear scarves around in the house too. : ) I'm hoping my mom will like the scarf I made her.

      Delete
  26. Well that was quite an adventurous day for you and Lauren! I've not heard of Moody's but I sure like that aqua mug, and those gloves are sweet too. Glad you had a lovely visit with Abby. Do you have snow now? We had another storm today - about 8 inches worth. I guess it will be a white Christmas up here at least. Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so glad you had such a gloriously wonderful day visiting and eating and shopping- and what fun to be driven around and not have to worry with the traffic. The dog was the cutest thing...you know he knew you were watching him! Well, have a wonderful week and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a pleasant, sweet post! It was so sweet of Laurel to give you the precious gift of time together. It sounds like the loveliest of days! Dear and encouraging company, good food, Christmas shopping (love the gloves!), more shopping, more good eating, a safe trip, an amusing story (funny dog!)...oh yes, the loveliest of days!

    (By the way, I very much agree with your take on the "Nana's house" sign and its sentiment. Higher standards are a good thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Vee, it all sounds like a wonderful day! It was sweet of Laurel to take you, I'm sure she enjoyed it thoroughly too. I'm glad you were able to see your friends before winter set in!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I giggled out loud at your description of doggie the driver! I am sure my family wonders what is so funny. The photo is priceless. I am so glad for you that you had such a happy day! :) Love the gloves. We seldom need those hefty winter version down where I am. Good for you that you found them because I know you will need them. I also laughed at your love of watching other people spend money. I am not a shopper, so I don't even love THAT! I just didn't get that shopping gene... me, I am content to peruse the Amazon pages for gifts for one and all. :D Merry Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That was fun.... fun for you doing it, fun for us reading about it. Next time.... take your camera!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am thrilled to hear you had this happy day. I giggled throughout..and the gloves are great. I love to get all my shopping done early and be able to take a little rest ....but I also love going back out in the crowds just before Christmas and be with all the people...the Christmas music playing...the hot apple cider offered in many smaller stores...such a wonderful time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh yes, dearest Vee, what a perfect day!! I was so happy to read this post, knowing that your daughter took time to drive and spend the day with you, and to go and meet up with Abby, and then pizza at the end...the best! That was a joyfully spent day, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  34. My heart was warmed by this lovely post. What a sweet daughter you have who took the time out of her busy day and spend it with her mama...truly a priceless gift! Your visit with Abby and your shopping excursion sounds just wonderful and they way you have with words almost makes it seem like we were there with you. I love it that you are including yourself in your gift-giving...you are a treasure, therefore you deserve some treasures :) Hugs, my friend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  35. Vee,
    You are such a lovely woman. I am sure everyone loves to be around you. You make me smile and love reading your words....
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Vee, Your note to me got me back on my blog. I am fine now and anxious to get on with life. I so enjoyed your post and what fun you had with your daughter. We do reach a time when we don't need anymore stuff but would love to have those special times to remember. Some day I would love to see Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  37. You will hug the memories of this day for a long time. It sounds so so special and a real treat for you to see your dear friend Abby.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Well, it sounds like a delightful day all around! And yes...family and friends make life so much better! How nice that Laurel could spend the day with you. That is a gift! Enjoy your new gloves, your new hat...and anything else you gifted yourself with on your outing. It's fun to buy our own gifts once in awhile! I just ordered something on-line...and told Elmer it is my Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This post warms my heart in a big way! So glad you got to have that very special day!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Ah Vee, there is no greater gift than time with a loved one. How lovely that you and your daughter could spend this day together. What fun you all had. I have been to Waldoboro once, years ago, and I'm quite sure we ate at Moody's. So glad you enjoyed your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wait a minute...you bought a HAT???
    First the Cubbies, then Trump and now Vee has a HAT???
    What next?
    Come quickly Lord Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a wonderful post! I needed a few minutes of quiet time and reading this was both relaxing and fun. That picture of the dog and your story about him turning away when the camera appeared was absolutely hilarious. ~ How nice that you and Laurel had a very special day together. That gift of time is one of the most precious of all.

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.