A Haven for Vee

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Shopping for Headstones

It's a strange thing to do, almost surreal, this kind of shopping. Sis and I made a few decisions a month ago...the company, the style, the price, but we wanted something special. We want to include my mother's name and dates, of course, her favorite psalm, and her favorite spot on this earth.

We recently found a letter from my mother to hers. It was written after my parents were married, but before my grandmother had remarried. In it my mother said, "Say, Mom, we were talking and would hate to see the cottage sold. If there's any way that we can help, we want to so that it won't have to be." My grandmother would often tell the story of how my mother loved the lake and loved the cottage and would say that she didn't care if she had anything as long as she could have that. My mother was looking forward to spending time there this summer. She was last there in 2008 because of her illness.
So this morning we have been looking at pictures of the lake and I do believe that we've settled on this one. It will be etched upon her stone much like a pencil sketch. I think that she would have approved.

Comments are closed because this is a journal entry sort of post for remembering...
Have a great weekend!
Edited to Add: To see the final result, click on the title.