A Haven for Vee

Monday, August 18, 2008

It's a Jumble Out There

I have an odd assortment of things to share today...

Do you enjoy a contest? Debbie @ From a Creative Heart needs some help with naming a very special group of gals. Perhaps you could lend her your suggestion; three (oops...four) people have so far, but Debbie's looking for 40,000! Since I have 39,997 readers, this will be a piece of cake. What? I do so, too, have 39,997 readers!

Just because I needed some photos so I could post something...anything, I took some pics around my mother's house. It's the pleasant little Cape Cod where I grew up and where my mom has evolved from loving modern furniture and those ghastly geometric patterned fiberglass curtains of the fifties to a comfortable country mix. This includes a lot of her own mother's and grandmother's dishes. Dishes, dishes everywhere! You may remember my sharing my mother's teacup collection. Those photos are right *here,* if you'd like to take a look back.

So that's the kitchen where some of the cabinets and the woodwork are painted blue, which you can see from this photo of sweet little pansies in a cobalt blue votive cup sitting on the windowsill above the sink.



Seems that I am spending a lot of time in the kitchen lately. Three meals a day plus snacks. Speaking of which, last night I made Magic Marshmallow Crescent Puffs to go with our Sleepy Time tea ritual. Alice always has good recipes! We very much enjoyed these even though I couldn't find any confectioner's sugar to make the glaze. I'll be giving them another go sometime soon.

My sister gave our mom twelve great dinner napkins a few years ago. They're red plaid and big. Sis thought that they'd be the perfect complement to mother's dinner table dishes, which are cream and red. I found them being used as doilies instead and where the other eight have gone, I have no idea.


















Love my mom's calendar picture for August. It makes me smile every time I see it and I can see her sitting in one of the Adirondacks at the front of the camp reading. I imagine that she's thinking that August is going by fast, too fast.



These dear ones are my paternal great-grandparents. They had seven boys the oldest of whom was my grandfather. Sadly, his mother died in 1918 in the dreaded flu epidemic. Her baby daughter died the same day. My grandfather was just nine years old and I can only speculate about how much that event effected his life and the life of his own family even to this day. Ripples ripple out for a long time.



Mother has interesting vignettes all over her home. Here's one that I enjoy. The teacup sits atop a cigar box from Havana. It makes me wonder which one of the ancestors was into Cuban cigars. Must ask.



Here's another little odd juxtaposition of elements...an old cocoa tin, a wee pair of carved boots, and a nest atop Les Miserables.



Hope that you've enjoyed the jumble. I so want to get a few more photos for you because my mom does some neat decorating things.

Have a great Tuesday!

17 comments:

  1. Your Mother's house is similar to my Mother's. She has lots of interesting things put together. I can just look and wonder what's going throug her mind. I must try the cresents! mmmmm and I too use napkins as doilies! LOL

    Have a wonderful day Vee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your mother's little vignettes. What fun it must be to see her house in a new light as you take photos to post. We sure do miss you, Vee, but what a blessing for you to have time devoted to your dear grandmother. Stop by when you can. ~~Kathy

    P.S. If you would like to join in "pay it forward" I am going to repost about it in a few days. I don't have 39,997 readers so I'm going to try again the first of September.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the jumble...feels like we are right there with you in your mom's house!

    How I wish I could take one more walk through my mom's house and take some pictures! I can see it...I can smell it...but my mom's home is now in a mansion (just over the hilltop) which was prepared for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was such fun. I loved seeing your mom's decorating touch... and that adirondack chair picture was so inviting. I need to have a porch like that, but only if it overlooks those beautiful mountains. So glad that you posted to let us know how you are (and thanks for the e-mail). I am sorry about the disappoinment, but know I am praying this morning.

    Love,
    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your mom decorates her house with the little groups of things that don't go together but do! It makes such a cozy warm house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very lovely, your childhood home. I love all of her little vignettes. My mom also has a jumble of things. When I visit for an overnight stay she takes all of the precious items out of the cabinets and explains the significance of each and every one. Hmmmmm, I think I know all this by now but I patiently listen again.

    Thanks Vee, and if you have the chance send those 37,997 readers over to my place. I promise to bake them some pie.

    - Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, your Mom certainly does neat things with her decorating. Kind of reminds me of Corey's mom and the interesting things she shows, of her Mom's decorating...

    Miss Mari-Nanci
    Smilnsigh
    Photos-City-Mine
    When Twilight Embraces

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the jumble..its very artfully arranged!
    Hugs,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mother has some beautiful things and I like how she put everything together. Great post! I hope you have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Vee,

    What a nice post. I enjoyed visiting your mom's place. Love all those vignettes. There are many treasures in those photos.

    take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't know what it was about those fiberglass curtains that made people like them. My mother's didn't have any obnoxious patterns and were in a neutral and an aqua solid color, but her home would have been beautiful if she'd just used something else.

    Your mother's teacup collection is lovely.

    My mother, who was very old when she had me, lived through the flu epidemic you mentioned. She was a little girl and very sick. I would occasionally hear her comment about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved seeing your mother's arrangements. Someday take some pictures of more of her house. You are very blessed to have her. I must say as Judy said, my mother lives in a mansion that I plan on seeing one of these days. He goes to prepare a place for us...The Blessed Hope

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet Vee...
    Thank you for promoting my contest to all 39,997 of your reader....I can't wait to hear from all of them!!! LOL
    And I love all the sweet things you share!!!
    Hugs to you!!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the details of your mother's home. And I'm glad you enjoyed the crescents.

    My grandparents lived beside what had been a church. The building had been converted to something else but a grave yard with a couple dozen grave stones remained. I remember my grandmother telling me that each one had died in the flu epidemic. What an awful time that must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Mother's house reminded me what my Mother's house used to be like. It was so cozy and comfortable just like I see your Mom's is.

    Gretchen
    birdnestcottage.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the things you have shared from your Mother's house. They are so wonderful....Mary

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.