A Haven for Vee

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Creating Home



Creating a home has always been a love of mine. I have long felt that a sense of home could be created under a bridge.

Stories and books about creating home have delighted me all my life and I think that it is a widespread interest. When I taught first and second graders, the Boxcar Children books were a favorite. In those stories, four siblings create a home in a boxcar. The whole idea delights children of all ages.

There's a woman who lives near me who has created a gem of a home in an old boxcar. Her home has been written about in local magazines and newspapers. Edited to add: While looking to see if I could find an internet article on this intrepid woman who lives in the woods of Maine in an old boxcar, I found a blogger instead. Have I mentioned how much I adore blogs? How much they are like finding treasure? I have? Oh well, the blog is called Boxcar Kitchen: A Big Dinner from Small Onions. (This blog no longer exists.) Isn't that a great title?

One of my favorite books as a teen was The Enchanted Barn where a family creates the perfect home in an old barn. I have seen some barns that I would love to live in.

Currently, as you all know, I am reading The Sojourner where a home is being created from a formerly cold and sterile environment. Trees, flowers, and herbs are planted, decorative pieces have been brought in, warm old woods have been introduced, and the smell of the most delightful cooking fills the air. If they talk about a freshly fried doughnut one more time...

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is very interesting about the boxcar house! We have a bookstore near us in a boxcar, and it used to be an antique store.

    I've heard of churches being turned into homes but not trains.

    Fascinating! Thanks, great idea for a post!

    PS, your room is looking good, love those French Doors!

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.