A Haven for Vee

Friday, September 14, 2007

From the Pitiful to the Sublime

I am in the process of putting my garden to bed. My disappointing garden. It's a disappointment because gyspy moths attacked when I least suspected it and munched their way through my flowers before I even knew what was happening. They made nests in my lilac bushes that I was fortunate enough to discover before it was too late. Wish that I could say the same of my neighbor's lilac.



They took my beautiful deck pot from this



to this.



Granted, even the chomped version would look better with my little grandson Jake featured prominently front and center. Ha!

After some research, I discovered that even if it is a cold winter, gypsy moths will actually do better in the spring. They'll need less heat to wake up and be on the move. Isn't that just weird?

In the early 80s, gypsy moths chomped their way through acres and acres of forested areas. The sun shone down hot upon us in the middle of July because we lost our tree canopy. I shudder to even think about it. At its worst, the state sprayed the woods and that's the only thing that stopped them. I hope that spraying can happen again if these things stay on the move.

Okay, that's enough for the pitiful news, now I'd like to share a sublime blog from the UK. What I love about Ramblings From an English Garden are the photos of beautiful, lush gardens that enlarge when clicked upon. If you need a little down time, this is the spot for you.

1 comment:

  1. Vee,
    Love your blog. The writing, the pictures - all of it a joy to read.
    Over the years I've watched you encourage and help other people in their own writings, photography, or whatever hobby or new project they might be undertaking. You've had many a helpful tip and your praise and encouragement made all the difference.
    Now I'm happy to get a chance to return the favor and tell you how much I enjoyed "A Haven for Vee". I loved reading about all your projects and adventures, seeing your choices of photos, loved the shots of family and some amazing scenery.
    Your blog has, overall, the feel of a nice, cheerful place you'd like to come back and visit again and again.
    Thanks for a delightful read.
    Christin

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.