A Haven for Vee

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Memorial Day Post 2014

Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; respect to whom respect; honor to whom honor.
~Romans 13:7



Tomorrow is Memorial Day. We have so much to still be thankful for in this country. It may not be the country I remember, yet it is the country I love. It is the country that so many have loved and have given their all to protect. We remember and honor them.



I have never been able to think of the day as one of mourning; I have never quite been able to feel that half-masted flags were appropriate on Decoration Day.  I have rather felt that the flag should be at the peak, because those whose dying we commemorate rejoiced in seeing it where their valor placed it.  We honor them in a joyous, thankful, triumphant commemoration of what they did.  ~Benjamin Harrison