A Haven for Vee

Sunday, November 16, 2008

Fractals



Fractal: frac·tal
Pronunciation: \ˈfrak-təl\
Function: noun
Etymology: French fractale, from Latin fractus broken, uneven (past participle of frangere to break) + French -ale -al (noun suffix)
Date: 1975
: any of various extremely irregular curves or shapes for which any suitably chosen part is similar in shape to a given larger or smaller part when magnified or reduced to the same size
— fractal adjective




Some years ago, I attended a seminar where a mathematician was the featured speaker. I so wish that I remembered his name because he gave a presentation that has remained with me. The gist of it was that NOTHING in this universe is unplanned and EVERYTHING has a pattern. Patterns signify that a designer is at work.




He said that if one splatters paint on a wall, even the splotches of paint, which appear absolutely random, will, if magnified, reveal a pattern. He showed us photographs of such instances. It was pretty incredible information for this mathematically challenged gal and is reminiscent of a discussion on fractals, photographs of which you are seeing here.



The discussion of fractals features prominently in the book The Shack. Each person's life is represented as a fractal — broken, but beautiful and something that God Himself is busily working out on our behalf.

Mackenzie, my purposes are not for my comfort, or yours. My purposes are always and only an expression of love. I purpose to work life out of death, to bring freedom out of brokenness and turn darkness into light. What you see as chaos, I see as a fractal. All things must unfold... ~Papa



It's the most profoundly comforting thought. What colors are your life? What needs working through? Where are the broken places? Allow Him in, lean on Him, rest in His great love for you.

Photo Source: Google Images and I make no apology.

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Vee. I am stunned by the patterns here. I wish I had been at that lecture too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi paying back your visit. Love seeing everyone's list of things their thankful for and glad to see that it's the little things we find the most joy from, for they are the big things. Very interesting post and beautiful images. I've heard about that book will have to check it out. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vee - the patterns are stunning. I view the Astronomy Photo of the Day every morning and I'm always blown away by images of the deep universe.

    I simply cannot understand how any scientist cannot believe in a higher being when they look at the complexity and beauty of the universe. Someone at the doctor's office had a copy of The Shack with them. I'm fascinated and I'm going over to order it now.

    Thanks Vee for all you do.

    - Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so interesting and true. I love the photos. It's sort of like DNA isn't it. Beautiful post. GOD is a wonderful artist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This surely is a thought provoking (as well as comforting) post. It just reminded me, once again, that God is in control of all things...even the so called "Global Summit" which is going to have an effect on the whole world.

    Thanks for giving us this insight at a much needed time.

    PS Is it OK if I save the picture of the verse you posted to my computer to use later?

    Have a blessed Sunday!
    -Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Love the pictures and the verse. One of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vee - what beautiful post. I have heard a fractals lector once too and it was fascinating. It really does have CREATOR written all over it! I also like the sentiment that I am part of a bigger pattern or plan - really helps when one is feeling alone!

    P.S. I have actually been planning to buy the LLBean flannel sheets, which are a great buy at $26 for a queen flat and very high-quality. But I read some reviews and a lot of people complained that they PILL! I loved shopping there when I was a teen and always get their catalogue. I have been wanting to order David some slippers, but the reviews say that the sizing is funny, so I will just get some local. Shopping online is great as long as you've already seen the item! Otherwise, it is tough!

    Hey, you should become a personal shopper for Canadians wanting US things....hehe. You could make a killing. Why has someone not thought of this?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some interesting patterns, a great illustration of God working in our lives.

    Have a wonderful Sonday,
    Kathi :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful post. Blessings Denise

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Vee...this is a beautiful post. So glad I stopped in early while I was still fresh enough to take it in...coffee cup in hand, wide eyed and fractious,lol!
    hugs
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting post and true post, nothing is random. What really speaks to me is that He can make order from what appears to me to be chaos. Deeply thoughtful ideas here, I need to study up on this some more.

    I too read The Shack and one part of the book really spoke to me loudly. I am still thinking about it. I want to reread the book to see what I missed the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mathematics is such a puzzle to me but I love how perfect it is and how it's a reflection of so much in nature. The Golden Mean is another interesting mathematical concpt like fractuals.
    Love all the photos you found to illustrate this post.

    Did you like The Shack? I think sometimes it takes a lifetime to worl on all the broken places

    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful post and such a blessing to my artistic sensibilites. I never knew this... many thanks to the nameless mathematician! ;-)

    Blessings,
    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sue, I found it here:

    http://www.ladydorothea125.net/christian_jewish/Romans8_28.jpg

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.