A Haven for Vee

Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Short, Very Short, Bible Study

Cast thy burden upon the Lord and He will sustain thee. Psalm 55:22a (KJV)

Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. I Peter 5:7 (NIV)

Casting the whole of your care, all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully. I Peter 5:7 (Amplified Bible)

God's strong hand is on you; he'll promote you at the right time. Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you. I Peter 5:7 (The Message)

The word "cast" comes from the Greek work epirrhipto, which is a combination of two words: the first is epi, a preposition simply meaning "upon;" and the second is rhipto. Rhipto is the exciting part for me. It is a verb...an action verb...meaning sudden motion as in flinging with a quick toss. (Differentiated from a deliberate hurl.)

Sometimes it is good to haul out the Strong's Concordance and do a bit of digging. In this case, my little study led me to a new understanding. When overwhelmed and weary in spirit, I may still have the strength (in spiritual terms) to "fling with a quick toss" all my troubles on the Lord. I don't know if there would be enough oomph to "deliberately hurl" it on Him. Then, too, deliberate sounds as if one had thought about it for days, but "sudden motion" implies that the light just went on...Oh! I can toss all my cares on Him because He loves me. You can, too! He loves you very much.

Have a blessed Sunday...