A Haven for Vee

Saturday, July 24, 2010

John's Story

Not wanting you to worry a second longer, I thought I'd better tell John's story.

He told me right away as he arrived dripping, his arm up in the air, and his face gone a bit ashen that he was always told to keep his ar*se behind him when working on any project. He didn't. He decided to hack a small green twig from a bush with his jackknife. Somehow he lost his footing (I'm sure that it was easy to do since he was not following orders and was at an angle.)

At first, he was quite convinced that we could just pull the whole forearm (left) back together. I didn't think so. The wound was bleeding a lot and was quite long and deep. We got it cleaned and wrapped up the best we could, stuck his arm in a plastic bag, and headed for the ER. Have I mentioned how queasy I get when other people are hurt?

The ER did a great job of seeing him quickly the first time around. They bandaged him up and the triage nurse said it looked like inner and outer stitches to her. Then we sat around in the waiting room visiting with other nice folks for two hours until I, observing that John was deep in conversation with another gentleman about the state of current affairs and was unaware that he'd begun to drip on the furniture, went back to the "welcome window" and suggested that they might like to see him now.

After all was said and done, John has six staples that look as if he attacked himself with his own staple gun. No antibiotics, no pain meds, no nothing but "see you in two weeks." I've often called John "numb clean to his elbows" to which he responds, "Is that a nice thing to say to a nice man like me?

Though after he answered the question about pain level...you know the one...on a scale between one and ten, what's your pain level...and he had responded with a "1," I'm pretty convinced that he may actually be numb to his elbows after all. They should have asked me what my pain level was. I'd have said "about an 8." Pounding headache, serious back pain, and great anxiety...

So he's fine. Really. He's just fine. Wants to get right back to ripping and tearing and doing what he loves best. Thanks for your prayers because I'm pretty sure that those staples need to come out before the two weeks is up.

22 comments:

  1. Wow, how scarey is that! I'm like you, I feel the pain worse then the one that has it! Shivers and a tingeling sensation hit me at once. Glad he was stapled back together and now is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU!

    I love you!

    I love John!

    But men!!!!!!!! Duhhhhh... "Just this once, won't hurt." "I can do it!!!" John, you ought to be spanked! After you get the staples out, that is. And thank Vee, that she noticed you were dripping blood and brought you, to the ER attention, again. Men! Deep in conversation. Never mind the arm falling offffffffffff... -le sigh-

    There Dear Heart, see how easy that was, to tell us a bit of details? :-)

    Now, as to being cut off of Hospice....... How? Why? Do you want me to make calls for you, about it? YOU know how I sound, when I am upset over a grievance done to a friend. And how I love a fight, for a good.

    Gentle hugs......................

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'd have said "about an 8." Pounding headache, serious back pain, and great anxiety..."

    Dang-it! You are still in serious back pain! Dang, dang, dang, dang, dang.

    I happen to be proving that near total rest of back, is the cure. I am!

    But! How can you "take the cure" of total rest of your back, with your Caretaker Duties back on?????????

    -le sigh-

    I'll go away now.

    And if I write a snail mail, I will make it just HI! and Chatty. Do not fear to open and read it! Truly. I do not want to adddddd to your woes.

    Gentle hugs.........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, what a nasty happening. John, you must be careful. SO glad you were able to get all fixed up.

    Don't you just "love" the whole hospital thing? Actually, I was grateful for ours this week. I felt that badly.

    A little boy got a gash in his head at church this week when he pulled a cabinet over that had a large glass hurricane on top of it.
    Sadly. He needed five sutures to fix it. I was ever so glad that we have two nurses that go to our church. I didn't want to see the damage!

    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I love the term "welcome window". Would I appear to be on John's side if I say Alls well that ends well?

    I bet he keeps his arse in the right place now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good heavens what is the man doing - you must be a wreck, Vee. Thank heavens he is on the mend though. Accident and Emergency (A&E) here, is even worse. You generally wait 4 hours to be seen. That is the government cut off. You WILL be seen in 4 hours. Sigh. I hope you have retired to a quiet corner with a cold compress on the head and something strongly medicial to drink, my friend. Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WAY to much trauma for you both!

    i will be praying that he heals quickly
    and stays down until then!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes!!!!! I can imagine how scared you must have been. It sounds like John is a rock. I hope he heals quickly...
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness Vee...I'm so gald to hear John is going to be okay. What a day you both had...geesh!!!

    I get so nerves when Pat is on those ladders, and these days with the house he's on them everyday!

    Blessings to you both...

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH so many people hurt themselves this way . .I'm so glad it was all mendable. . .
    No pictures? I'm not so queasy acutally.

    Oh I hope you get that hospice back, you need it and I want you to have it. Back pain? Oh take care of yourself Vee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for letting us know. Poor you. I'm mean I'm sorry John cut himself, but it is usually "worse" for the person taking care of the hurt person. Does John have a local doctor? I'd suggest forgetting the emergency room and go to the doctor's for a follow-up much sooner than two weeks. Just what you needed was more advice. ;) Hope John mends quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness girl!!!!! What a SCARE!!!! I'm so glad it's over with...when bad things like this happen I'm just SO thankful when they are OVER! Now let the healing begin and tell that man please be careful, YOU CAN'T TAKE SCARES LIKE THAT! sending you hugs Vee and sending John fast healing, xxoo, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeeeee-ouch! Please keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected! I would have asked - make that "demanded" for lots of drugs! I sure hope he heals up quick and is more careful next time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that sounds nasty. Poor John. Poor you.
    Hope all goes well when the staple removal time comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a harrowing experience! Even though I worked a few years in an ER during my years as a nurse, I found out a few times it's a different experience when you go to one as a patient yourself, or with a loved one. It's very stressful.

    I hope John heals quickly and I hope that you remember to de-stress the best way that you know how to, Vee, to keep yourself healthy...prayer, deep breaths, a bubble bath, maybe time in your sewing room making something? {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! Sending prayers for quick healing. Sounds like something I'd do!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I get all woozy when people get injured--especially when blood is involved. I'm not cut out for the medical field! Glad hubby got all stitched up and is not in pain!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! I am glad he is going to be ok (and you didn't get sick!)! I know you were probably worried silly. Men are as bad as children with their injuries.

    Hopefully he will mend quickly!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Vee, I am so glad John is on the mend and so sorry to hear about the accident. Keeping you both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH my! Sounds like your man and my man both have those crazy high pain tolerance levels...me...not so much. Just the sight of blood...I feel your pain dear Vee!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yikes, I just got back from a weekend away and am catching up on blogging friends. I'm glad to hear that John is doing okay, and so are you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Vee you certainly have been going through it while I have been taken up with Alan's medical problems. You describe it all so well and almost make it sound fun.
    Trust all will heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.