A Haven for Vee

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Salt of the Earth Folks


Friends are friends forever, if the Lord is the Lord of them
~Michael W. Smith


Is any pleasure on earth as great as a circle of Christian friends by a good fire?

~ C.S. Lewis


Some weeks ago, my blogging friend Gwen of Gwendolyn's Guests contacted me saying that she and her husband would be traveling across country from Washington state to the Northeast and the Maritime Provinces. Was there any chance of a meeting? Oh boy howdy! Yes! Of course!


Mike and Gwen

So we, John and I, met Gwen and her husband Mike earlier this week, though it was plenty warm without a good fire. I first found Gwen via her sister Trish who also writes blogs and who was one of the original members of the Mennonite Girls Can Cook team.

Back then, Gwen was writing Esther's Insights, a blog based on the notes and papers she found among her mother's things after her mother died. Her mother, a pastor's wife, had had many opportunities for teaching and ministry. It's difficult to describe how I felt when I first found Esther's Insights. It was a library of amazing lessons and often stretched my thinking in new ways. Perhaps, in light of my own mother's extended illness, I was thinking about the wisdom and value of mothers. Whatever the reason, it had a strong tug on my heart.

Now Gwen has mostly moved on from Esther's Insights though it remains a wonderful resource on the WWW. She is wondering about her place in Blogdom and what she should be writing. My advice, for what it's worth, to any blogger or any writer is to write from one's own heart and interests. I do not say this flippantly or with a lack of regard for another faith or experience. For me, this is part of the Great Commission referred to sometimes as "going into every person's world." If you are interested in what you are writing, someone of like-mind will be as well. In my own experience, I have waffled back and forth between treating my blog as a journal for myself and my family and a means of reaching out to friends I haven't yet met. Sometimes, I'm every bit as confused as any gal who's ever wondered where her blog is headed so take this advice from whence it comes.

Gwen and her husband served for many years in missions and now serve in a place of leadership in missions. That's why I knew that an apron would be a perfect gift for a gal who hosts so often. Ha! The last laugh was on me. (Gwen denies this and says that an apron is just what she's needed. This is how sweet she is.)

And I received gifts as did John. Wonderful treats and treasures: candy from Washington, a book—In the Presence of My Enemies by Gracia Burnham, a video, a gadget for keeping my purse off the floor when eating out, fishing flies, and the gift of genuine interest.

 Our Gifts

It was a special time chatting away. Two hours passed like nothing. Gwen and Mike are warm, kind, and open people and we felt no awkwardness at all. John describes Mike as a "genuinely nice guy." True. They are salt of the earth folks. Gosh, I wish that Washington were just around the corner...

Taking photos was an afterthought. None of us were particularly thrilled with our photos most especially me. I do believe that the Lord is giving me a word about exercise, getting off the computer, and being more involved elsewhere. So this is to say that you're going to be seeing less of me. It is time.

Have a great day! I hope that you'll visit Gwen and tell her that I sent you along. Thanks!

31 comments:

  1. I enjoy being a follower of Gwen's blogs too! : )
    How nice that you all met and enjoyed a couple of hours together!! Wish I could have joined you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy that you all had a chance to meet and visit in person. That book by Gracia Burnham is good, and she and her husband were with the mission Tim and I were with and that he grew up in. His parents were full time career missionaries in Senegal, West Africa!

    I am going to check out her blog!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee for another bloggy meeting. It really is a fun experience. I didn't realize Trish had a sister who lives in Washington State...
    I heard Gracia speak about her life at a church we were going to in Bellevue a while back...amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be sure and check out her blog. Just to let you know that I really enjoy your blog and will hate to see less of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to meet a blogging friend!
    mmm....Almond Roca, my Mom's favorite. I myself love their Peanut Butter Mountain Bars. Whenever we travel down south towards Tacoma, we stop into their little gift shop at the factory to pick-up containers of "not-so-pretty" rejects. They may not be pretty, but they are yummy! :)

    Have a wonderful weekend Vee!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely that you got to meet a blogging friend, and it was such a nice experience.

    I'm in awe of you and John, for the 4am outing you just told me about! Wow!

    But I had read that it would be a difficult meteor watching time, because of the full moon. I'll use that as my excuse. Truth is,I haven't gone out to look for meteors in years. Too *Olden* I guess. :-) It's up to you *Youngins*!

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWESOME! Sounds like a nice time.

    So..is that what thing is? (gadget thingy.lol)--my secert sister gave me a gift bag of things for Christmas and that was in it, only mine is black with rhinestones. I had no idea. I put double sided tape on it and I use it as a dishtowel hanger thingy, lol. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it fun!? Your meeting sounds like my experiences so far - all very, very good. I like your blogging advice too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I decided a long time ago not to worry 'where my blog was going' but to just write, each day, what I want to write about. There's not many blogging that love it more than I do..I have such fun with it. I like everything about it. I think that is because I don't put pressure on myself..I just go with the flow of the day and it works PERFECT for me. :))

    So glad you had fun meeting your blogging friend. I know she felt the same, meeting you.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a blessing to find and meet such beautiful kindred and generous spirits. People like this aren't made every day.
    xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  11. How nice that you could meet your blogger friend and that she traveled all the way across the country! Quite a trip. I'm sure she'll have lots of new things to write about on her blog when she returns home. I must check it out. I'm glad you had such a great visit. Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Hugs, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  12. How very wonderful that you got to meet a longtime blog friend. Isn't it wonderful when we're given such great opportunities? They are those unexpected blessings!

    Thank you for sharing your visit with us. I'm off to check out her blog...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vee, it's easy to understand why you (any of us) would like Gwen so much. What a lovely person and what a great mission she and her husband share.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, now it is my turn to be jealous...that Gwen got to meet you!
    What a wonderful time you must have had.

    I will soon be missing more than I am blogging due to my busy season. It will be good for me! I forget to eat when I get into the thick of it and get a lot more exercise.

    Two words...Bloggers Anonymous....

    Is there such a thing? I think I need it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meeting blogging friends is fun - although I've only met two so far. And thanks for pointing me to another blog (as if I needed more to read).

    Lovely gifts -

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful to meet this favorite blogger, Vee, and her husband. It sounds like you all had a good time together! :)

    I have been online less this summer and trying to get out and do more and walk more. It feels good and it is good for our health to keep moving as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a special treat! I remember Gwen from her blog from years back --- but lost track of her. I'm so glad that you were able to meet her --- and receive some Washington state charm --- live and in person!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm happy for you that you got to meet a friend and enjoy your time together. Let us know about the book. I enjoy your blog because of the honest way in which you present things, and I enjoy the bit of humor that tempers your opinions. Yes, I like your blog. ANd I like the comments you leave. If my daughter still lived in Maine I'd arrange to have lunch with you when I was next there. It may be a long time now. :D
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am always in favour of getting up off our butts and stepping into new interests and adventures and I totally encourage, and support you doing that...but Vee, not too much less of you please, I'd truly miss you :)

    blessings to you both on this Lord's Day,
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh how wonderful Vee. I am so happy that the two of you finally met! She is a precious sister...and I am glad you imparted some good advice about her blogging. She is truly the 'writer' in our family and I grew up admiring her creativity and ability to communicate so well through the written word. And that is so special that you could spend that day together. Great post....made me wish I would have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hear you about the time for exercise! It's finding that "time" that is a challenge for me! If you'll be blogging a bit less, then it is for a good cause! We want you healthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely post about friendship! I hope to meet some of my blog friends some day too!

    Have a wonderful day!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so wonderful for friends to meet in person and share gifts, friendship, and good conversation.

    It's so sweet how friendships are formed and grow through blogging.

    I totally understand about sitting less at the computer and getting some exercise...... I'm telling myself....when the weather cools off.... I'll exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's my one rule..if I don't do my jogging then no computer time!...I had my moment about five years ago when we went to Hawaii...in the pics it was like who is that woman??? ..will miss your post though so exercise early...blog later...take care...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome post Vee. Salt of the earth folks are real people, good people, blogger people. You are salt of the earth, soon to lose some salt, eh? Welcome to my world.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How wonderful to get to meet a blog friend! Sounds like a great time was shared. Many of us are envious!
    Hope you don't stay away from blogging too much, tho. But I understand why you may need to cut back. It takes so much time and I don't have near the people to keep up with as you do. I find myself sitting way too much and it's not a good thing. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Vee, these gals are so right! It was a special day that the Lord gave us, to visit each other in person. Now the miles don't feel quite so far between any more! Many blessings and thanks from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm just catching up here...and now know where your apron was going the other day! How fun to meet up with Gwen...the sister of Trish. I love the blogger-meets- blogger stories! One of these days (make that years) this blogger may just show up in your neighbourhood. Don't start sewing an apron just yet!

    ReplyDelete
  29. PSSST..Vee..the double sided tape really doesn't work that well. Just thought I would let you know since you asked. lol

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh goodness, what a good day, don't go too far though, Vee, I would miss your posts. I agree about the trees, give me a view, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How lovely that you met Gwen. I have enjoyed her blog and Esthers Insights.

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.