A Haven for Vee

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I'm Blaming Somebody

Warning: Political Commentary Below

Ahhh, so there you are. I'm always a titch nervous about spouting off. I prefer to discuss dishes and drapes, but every now and then...

The final presidential debate is scheduled for tonight and the state of politics in the US today has me concerned. Very. (I know that I'm not alone.) Sometimes I am so concerned for my country that I feel frustrated and angry...like blaming someone. Whom to blame...whom to blame... Guess I'll start with the mainstream media.

Yes, I am definitely blaming a mainstream media for unethical, substandard, biased reporting. Thankfully, they've begun, just begun, to report on ACORN and the voter fraud that is rampant across the country. They've consistently failed to report on those Democrats who have lied their way through the Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac debacle, among others. When Democrats in Congress are confronted, they always and without fail point to the nearest Republican. That's usually President Bush. They cry that McCain is going to be more politics as usual...just another four years of a Bush presidency. (I'm tempted to expound on the ways that that wouldn't be a bad thing.)

McCain's opponent does a lot of finger pointing when asked questions. He conveniently does not answer and then sets off pointing fingers when it is his party who is actually guilty. Worse...sometimes it is he himself who is guilty. It is a trick as old as time, but we don't have to fall for it. Do we? One thing that I plan to do while watching tonight's third and final debate is to keep a checklist. Did McCain answer the question? Did Obama? Did one or the other deflect the question to point a finger? Did that candidate misrepresent the facts? Does one merely echo the ideas already stated by the other...ahem, Senator Obama, that would be you. I'll be counting the times. By the way, did you know that the ratings for the second debate were as high as the 1992 debate between Clinton, Perot, and Bush Sr.? At least, we're watching.

Oh, lest you do not believe that some Democrats are to blame for this recent economic crisis, I challenge you to watch THIS posted at suburbanpsychosis.blogspot.com. It's actual footage; it'll take you about 8 minutes; decide for yourself after watching.

And Here's a Wee Bit of Levity first posted at Truth Seeker. I don't usually point folks to Saturday Night Live skits, but in this case I'm making an exception.

My pal Kari over there at Just Livin' Large has written some wonderful political commentary as well. I challenge you to check out what she has to say right HERE.

Closing with Just the Facts from Sweet Cottage Dreams. It reads concisely and well and won't take you but a minute or two.

The stakes are so high. They always are. We must be informed. We must follow up on the tough questions. We must not allow the contentiousness of politics lull us into denial. Working from emotion or feeling alone will get us all into deep trouble. We must do our homework!

I, for one, don't want change for change's sake alone. Not ever.

Photo Source

Comments have been turned off so that readers may simply read without having to respond. ( Edited to Add: Oops! Oh well, they've been turned off now; although, I have decided to leave the comments that were already made. I believe that each one has an interesting point of view.)

2 comments:

  1. Vee,
    BEWARE, your comments are still on!

    I am most disturbed about this election and even more so at how outspoken and political Hollywood has been during this campaign. I am wondering how much sway the popular culture of the day will have on the outcome. Will people vote following their favorite star or will they search out the issues and candidates for themselves?

    I too am closely following the debates and the issues raised as well as praying and basing my decision upon that.

    You are very brave to step into battle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, read it every day, and find so much about you a kindred spirit, but have to point out that the people in this country who want change are NOT wanting change for the sake of change. I would not be for that either.

    We want change because of the horrors and the lies and the terrible mess that this administration have brought upon the American people. And I have two ancestors who fought in the American Revolution, not that that makes me any better American than anyone else who loves this country and wants it to be true to its original promise.Change is what we need, and I hope that hearing me say so will not hurt your feelings. This is too close to my heart to remain silent.

    I think McCain is a fine man, or hope he is, and see no reason to doubt it, but I cannot accept Republican policies.

    ReplyDelete