A Haven for Vee

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Carl Larsson and Me

Flower Window by Carl Larsson



For some time now, I've been looking for my book on Carl Larsson's home Sundborn. I've even mentioned to more than a few of you that I was looking and looking and looking for that book. I have been most eager to find it since I married. My first husband was Italian by heritage and my new groom is Swedish. I wanted to impress my groom with my vast knowledge of all things Swedish beyond Swedish fish and all don'tcha know.

The Lost is Found

Today, I'm happily reporting that I found the book about a week ago. I'm so excited. And I'm further intrigued because I had no idea how much I have been influenced by this Swedish artist and designer and architect and all on a completely subconscious level. But I shall leave that for all of you to decide — just take a peek and see what I mean!



We both have yellow front doors...















We both have big old cupboards in the kitchen...

We both have a gallery...





We both have a ledge...






We both love books and color...

This could go on and on for a long while. Please click on any photo you'd like to see enlarged and also click on highlighted words for further information about this much-loved and well-admired Swedish artist.

Leaving you with two of Larsson's paintings celebrating domesticity. I am always completely charmed by them.

For a Little Card Game

When the Children Have All Gone to Sleep

Picture Source Allowed to stand

ETA: For Alice (By the way, Alice is looking for an answer to a question. Perhaps you can help her out!)


Edited to Add: Yes, changes have been made this 30th day of January in 2010 (and 5/15 2011). I was appalled to see that the formatting had not held and set about to fix it. This was a dangerous thing to do for pictures were lost, which required replacing. Since this post will be featured in the first week of February, I thought it best to get it right. Thanks for visiting!

19 comments:

  1. Oh, how wonderful to see how your home is like Larsson's! Everything is so pretty in both.

    My favorite Swedish artist is John Bauer; I wonder if your husband is familiar with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vee, this is amazing!!! What a wonderful artist ~ I can see why you love his work....such warmth and charm in every stroke. Your home has the same feeling, warm, inviting and charming ~ hope you have a great day! xxoo, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Carl Larsson. And what I wouldn't give for one of those tile stoves. So homey and cosy.

    He is also considered one of the fathers of Swedish design. You are a lucky girl to have this wonderful book.

    Lisa
    Knitty, Vintage and Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the best things about blogdom is the way one person's comment or post will spark a memory or idea for ourselves. How nice that you found Bauer on your bookcase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vee, I love your style. It is so comfortable and homey. Your nest is very cozy indeed. I love the Mr. Larson's artwork too! I have a copy of the second one you posted, it came from and old art book.

    If you are interested in Swedish design I would recommend these two hardcover books, available at Amazon (they even have some used copies for as little as $8.00 each plus shipping), New Swedish Interiors by Sasha Waddell and Swedish Interiors by Rhonda Eleish.

    I own a copy of the first one and love it, the second I checked out of our local library. Both are wonderful resources in capturing that look. Thanks for sharing your lovely home and its design influence. Happy nesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely to have found that you are Carl Larsson's decorating soul mate.

    Wonderful company you keep, my Dear.

    Gentle hugs,
    Miss Mari-Nanci

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your home is right out of his book! Lovely...cozy and warm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look! It's Swedish and it has color!!! It's simple and beautiful, but all the decorating magazines have interpreted the Swedish style as white, white, white. A stinking snowstorm. My sister and I have agreed that we're sick to death of the "Swedish style" that's touted by these mags. Yours is such a refreshing and authentic take.

    - Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do have a lot in common! I just love the way you decorate with all of the warm colors. Your home is so inviting and just beautiful. Great color for the front door, I might add! Glad to see you found your book. Isn't it funny how images imbed themselves in our brains and become a subconcious voice leading us in the directions that our hearts seem happiest.

    Blessings,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such a sweetheart Vee.

    It is just amazing how you and this artist have synced. Funny, I have loved your home, but was not quite sure what style I would call it. Definitely loads of New England Charm, but this post has educated me. I too thought Swedish design was much more minimal.

    P.S. Was that a portrait of you on the wall???

    ReplyDelete
  11. How neat Vee!! I will have to see if my Library has that book.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I SO remember that book! I think I used to check it out of the library once a month or so. I love that first illustration, with the plants in the window, and I can see that your window is wonderful, too. :)

    Hope you have gotten rid of the water in the cellar. Been there, done that. It's no fun.
    xoxo,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your yellow front door and your ledge. And those paintings are good enough to live in!

    Your Swedish tendencies are making me believe in fate! lol

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vee!
    What incredible similarities! You both have such good taste in decorating and creating that warm "make you feel good" atmosphere.
    Great post!! I loved it!
    Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this post, Vee! You have such a lovely home. Liked the one about the Swedish fish!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can see where you got your inspiration! I too find that I have been very inspired by things from my past, even subconsciously.

    Lovely home you have, and a wonderful book.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love everything about this post!! Your home is a sweet reflection of who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the info, Miss Sandy. I'll check it out at the library.

    Miss Mari-Nanci, you little scamper, you! I sure do miss being able to comment at your beautiful blog. I was there today and the photo of the bowl filled with chocolate chip cookie dough was so wonderful looking!

    Suzanne, thanks for saying that. It's true! Sometimes Scandanavian style gets relegated to being all white...not true.

    No, Cindy, the portrait you're seeing is of my niece. Her friend was experimenting with portraiture. The same niece at the picnic who made her own skirt from a deconstructed man's shirt. Oh-oh, time to quit, I'm rhyming again.

    Thanks, everyone, for your sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.