A Haven for Vee

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy Canada Day!



I had the most delightful surprise a few days ago when the weeds growing in an abandoned pot began blooming. They're not weeds at all, but petunias. Guess that they reseeded themselves from last summer's plant. Works for me

In a moment of serendipity last night, I found "O Canada" in one of my childhood books, specifically "The Bookshelf for Boys and Girls" Volume 4 called "Pictures, Stories, and Music."



O Canada, my country vast and free
Dower'd art thou by Nature lavishly.
All the wealth is thine of stream and hill,
Of forest lake and plain,
Thine the fruitful soil that freemen till
And treasure of the main.
O land beloved, whate'er betide
For home and Empire stand with God thy guide
For home and Empire stand with God thy guide

O Canada, no sordid dream beguiled
Thy pioneers to seek the forest wild
With devoted hearts and purpose pure
Their lives they gave to thee,
That thy broad domain, from foes secure,
Should Freedom's dwelling be.
O land beloved, whate'er betide,
For home and Empire stand with God thy guide,
For home and Empire stand with God thy guide.

O Canada, with boundless faith in thee,
Thy people hail thy glorious destiny.
May the circling years thy pow'r expand,
Thy sway and fame increase;
May loyal sons united stand
For brotherhood and peace.
O land beloved, whate'er betide,
For home and Empire stand with God thy guide,
For home and Empire stand with God thy guide.


I've not heard these words exactly this way; I soon learned that the anthem has undergone a few changes. I rather like these lyrics, though. Anyway, wishing all Canadians a very happy Canada Day!

18 comments:

  1. Good morning friend!

    Very artistic photo, I might say. And Mother Nature surprised you - how very serendipitous!!! (did I spell that right?)

    I did not know it was Canada Day... our focus is more towards our southern neighbors here in Texas - and it's turning into a huge hairy deal if you keep up with the news... sad and frustrating...

    Have a wonderful day, Vee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "O Canada" but it must have been confusing when the words changed. Imagine how difficult it would be to learn new lyrics to "The Star Spangled Banner." We have a hard enough time singing it, as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I've never heard those lyrics...but they are rather nice.

    Here's is what we sing...
    O Canada! Our home and native land!
    True patriot love in all thy sons command.
    With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
    The True North strong and free!
    From far and wide, O Canada,
    We stand on guard for thee.
    God keep our land glorious and free!
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

    That's it...very simple. And then there is the French version...which I do not know.

    Thanks for the Canada Day wishes...and enjoy your country's celebrations in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! Love the "O Canada !" find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your header..it really pops. Pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the music! And happy holiday to you this weekend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was reminded recently that I have a Canadian Heritage. My Grandfather's family on my Mom's side were Canadian. That sounded a bit confusing....
    Have a happy day enjoying this cooler weather.

    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a sweet tribute to canada
    and surprise for you. i have
    never heard of petunias reseeding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always loved their national anthem...I love singing it myself, when the olympics were on I would get so excited for their golds so I could hear, "O Canada". LOL

    Wow...your hubby can do everything, I should ship him over here to Montana to help Pat...just kidding...I'm sure he has enough honey-do's around your place. Your pics were great though, and loved seeing your eyes through your glasses btw, since we hardly get to see you at all...hint, hint!!! ;)

    Thanks for the correction regarding the bookmarker...and you are very talented and could make those in a heart beat!!

    Enjoy your 4th!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Canada Day Vee! I'm late, as always, but my wishes are still sincere :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Vee, what a treat to click onto your blog and see your recognition of Canada Day! Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

    Your petunias are lovely - just right for these beginning of July celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the well-wishes for Canadians today. My roots go back there so I do have a special place in my heart always for the Canadian home I once had. Those lyrics were different than the ones I remember, but the theme and sentiments are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the Canada Day greeting! Interesting words to our anthem. Have a wonderful 4th!
    blessings,
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vee - in response to your comment yesterday - you probably did hear our president say that things are better than ever. Just like about everything else he says is false.

    The border between the US and Mexico is practically a war zone in spots. Juarez and many of our border towns(and in the news, Arizona) have gone crazy with drug cartels, killings and kidnappings, etc.

    The authorities are afraid to do anything for fear of being killed themselves OR for fear of repercussions from our own laws. In many cases their hands have been tied. If it were us trying to go into Mexico (or any other country for that matter) there would be serious consequences.

    Unfortunately, our president paints a more cheery picture. Will have to go into more detail in email perhaps...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet little petunia to just show up! Happy Canada day and thank you for dropping by my blog and the nice comment about the patio.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful lyrics, I've never heard them before, they read so powerfully, I'd love to hear them played. I hope you and your family enjoy a wonderful 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Vee... it was an enjoyable day with family!

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.