A Haven for Vee

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Christmas Meme

Christmas Card from my grandmother's collection reminiscent of *this painting* by Nita Leger Casey

 A meme found at *Chocolatechic's:*

1. Hot Chocolate or apple cider?
2. Turkey or Ham?
3. Do you get a fake or real-you-cut-it-yourself Christmas tree?
4. Decorations on the outside of your house?
5. Snowball fights or sleddin’?
6. Do you enjoy going downtown shopping?
7. Favorite Christmas song?
8. How do you feel about Christmas movies?
9. When is it too early to start listening to Christmas music?
10. Stockings before or after presents?
11. Go to someone else’s house or they come to you?
12. Do you read the Christmas Story? If so when?
13. What do you do after presents and dinner?
14. What is your favorite holiday smell?
15. Ice skating or walking around the mall?
16. Do you open a present or presents on Christmas Eve, or wait until Christmas day?
17. Favorite Christmas memory?
18. Favorite Part about winter?
19. Ever been kissed under mistletoe?

(It's an easy copy and paste.)

1. Hot Chocolate or apple cider?
     Hot Chocolate please!
2. Turkey or Ham?
     Ham with raisin sauce
3. Do you get a fake or real-you-cut-it-yourself Christmas tree?
     A fake tree so that I can put it up early and keep it up late...Epiphany on January 6. (As much as I love the smell of a fresh tree, I can not abide the mess that they make. I compensate with fresh boughs near my door as one enters and with some fresh boughs at the windows.)
4. Decorations on the outside of your house?
     Yes, John is still stringing lights on the deck...an arrangement on the side deck by the main door and a kissing ball on the garage. I have yet to do anything with the front door...*gasp*
5. Snowball fights or sleddin’?
     Sleddin'!
6. Do you enjoy going downtown shopping?
     Not so much
7. Favorite Christmas song?
     Secular: I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas sung by Bing Crosby
Sacred: Joy to the World
8. How do you feel about Christmas movies?
     I enjoy many of them, including "It's a Wonderful Life," but my favorite is "A Christmas Story." (I have yet to find a sacred film about Christmas that I truly enjoy.)
9. When is it too early to start listening to Christmas music?
     It is never too early to listen to Christmas music. ;>
10. Stockings before or after presents?
     Before
11. Go to someone else’s house or they come to you?
     We do both...
12. Do you read the Christmas Story? If so when?
     Yes, no set time...we've read it once this season and will do so again, I'm sure.
13. What do you do after presents and dinner?
     We enjoy playing the new board games or just having quiet conversation. Sometimes, if the weather isn't too bad, we go for a walk.
14. What is your favorite holiday smell?
     Cider brewing or evergreen boughs or cookies baking or gingerbread baking...I'm doing the gingerbread thing today. The aroma lasts for days.
15. Ice skating or walking around the mall?
     Given the limited choices, I'll watch the ice skating.
16. Do you open a present or presents on Christmas Eve, or wait until Christmas day?
     Presents may be opened at any time during the Christmas season. We're flexible.
17. Favorite Christmas memory?
     It shall always be listening to my grandparents play the old carols...my grandmother at the piano and my grandfather on his violin...as I fall asleep in a cozy upstairs bedroom tucked under the eaves.
18. Favorite Part about winter?
     Though it is not my favorite season, I love the coziness of a home after being outside in the cold and I enjoy watching snow fall gently from the comforts of indoors.
19. Ever been kissed under mistletoe?
     Ohhhh, once or twice

Please let me know if you're going try this (you are definitely invited to do so) because I want to read yours, too!

Enjoy a pleasant and productive day...

30 comments:

  1. -sigh- I probably won't join in, 'cause I don't know if I have ever done a meme. ,-)

    But thank you, for your joining in!

    Winter hugs...
    On Dec. 7th, 1941 - 'A date which will live in infamy'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Vee, thank you sooooooo much for commenting, that which you had read, concerning "The Home Front" War Effort in WWII! Thank you for telling me.

    It let me comment my reply to that uninformed person, who wrote that drivel.

    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vee...what fun to learn more about you and, actually, many of my thoughts are similar to yours :)

    I think, yes, I will play along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I loved reading yours and seeing the gorgeous card! Enjoy your day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny how we create our own Christmas with traditions, family favorites and the familiar. I loved reading about your Christmas traditions.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun facts! Mmmm, I think I smell your gingerbread baking, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey. I'm in on this.

    1. Hot Chocolate
    2. Turkey
    3. Real-you-cut-it-yourself Christmas tree. But I haven't put one up for years.
    4. No. I tried once. They got stolen. I decided not to go to all that trouble anymore for some little thief.
    5. Sleddin’.
    6. Yes!
    7. Oh gosh. Too many to decide. I'll think about it today.
    8. Love them.
    9. I really like it saved for when Thanksgiving is over with. But I'm in the minority on that.
    10. Either.
    11. Either. Fun either way.
    12. I love it any time of the year.
    13. Realize that it gets over very fast.
    14. Cinnamon. Spices. Christmas tree smell. Can't pick one.
    15. Walking around the mall.
    16. My family always waited until Christmas morning. It was so magical.
    17. The year I got a doll that I still have.
    18. Mmmm..Snappy cold and Christmas coming. Then in January I never liked it anymore.
    19. Nope. Never. Unless you could count Hank my cat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vee, I am so glad you came to Places of My Heart, so I could find you. Your blog is lovely! I will go check out the meme, never done one before, not sure! But, I had to tell you I love the pumpkin snowman!!!!! I needed to do something with mine. Just may give it a whirl. Isn't if fun getting ideas and people sharing ideas.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh...what fun! I did a version of this two years ago...and have never posted it. Maybe I will.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was fun. I especially like your favorite Christmas memory. It brought a peaceful feeling just reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the questions and your answers, and we both have Christmas Story as our favorite movie. Now I will write some Christmas cards before the mailman arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vee, I enjoyed reading your answers! Aren't carols enjoyable and comforting? I'm like the retailers ... I like to start playing them in October. :o) Bess

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun, holiday meme. Like you, I'm a hot chocolate lover! This will be a good idea for tomorrow's post!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love doing these "memes". Didn't know that was what they were call though!!

    1.Both! I love the creaminess of hot chocolate but I also love the cinnamony smell of the apple cider (Starbucks is a great place for both!!).

    2. Ham with the brown sugar pineapple topping. Mouth watering thinking about that. And potato salad and candied sweet potatoes and orange pineapple gelatin salad and my aunt's creamed corn. Nothing beats that.

    3. I really love the fake trees. They are so beautiful and so much less stressful in set up and take down. Plus they are almost always "perfect" instead of the real tree with the "bad side" or at least I always remember that and then those dry needles everywhere.
    Fake tree for me!! I love the smell of the real trees but you can get limbs to use in decorations to have the real smell!

    4. I love to do them but I am beginning to have a problem decorating outside with lights so will just drape the shrubs with lights. Not like those folks down the street - three houses must have decorated together all pretty blue frosty kind of lights. I do have a wreath on the door. THAT was easy.

    5.

    No snow in San Antonio!! for either one. I think I did tape some of the Winter Olympics!

    6. I do love going to the River Walk and see all the lights in the trees, but I don't really shop in downtown San Antonio.

    7. I love all the Christmas songs
    Secular: I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas sung by Bing Crosby
    Sacred: Joy to the World or O Holy Night

    8. Love them. I have taped several so that I can watch some when I want to watch them.

    "It's a Wonderful Life," and "Miracle on 34th Street are at the top though.

    9.Never too early for Christmas music.

    10. Stockings before or after presents?

    We don't always do stockings but when we do they are at the end of the gifts.
    11. We do both, depending on schedules of guests....

    12. I like to read it after dinner and before gifts. A little wind down time.

    13. Play games, listening to a favorite Christmas movie and Christmas Carol and then depending on weather and who is here, sometimes we go to Midnight Communion at church. It is always so lovely.

    14. I always remember the smell of kerosene lamps burning at my aunt's house on Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day. She always used an antique kerosene lamp in her Christmas decorations and now I do to.

    15. Love to watch the kids ice skate or skaters if none of our children are skating. But haven't seen that in a while. None of San Antonio malls have skating rinks in them.

    16. We have to be flexible in that sometimes work schedules keep us from having our "tree" at certain times.

    17. My favorite memories of Christmas are with my parents and my children. We used to drive to Zilker Park in Austin, park the car and walk underneath the big lighted tree there. It was beautiful but has now gotten so popular that it takes hours to drive down there.
    One special memory though is of the Moon Walk on Christmas Eve in 1969. My grandfather was 83 and did not believe they were on the moon, but actually were in West Texas.

    18.
    Love the crisp air on a cold night and the smell of Christmas trees.

    19. Favorite cookie??
    I love those "snow ball " cookies witht the powdered sugar on them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was nice. I enjoyed all your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, your favorite Christmas memory is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love all your interesting answers! Thanks for popping by too. Merry Christmas to you and yours!! I love that picture of Fiore in the window. xo Terri

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoyed reading your answers. Hope I find time to do one myself later. Gotta go get that decorating done. ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was great! Perhaps I may do it tomorrow. :)
    Re:Christmas movies... have you not seen Veggie Tales, It's a Meaningful Life?? So cute!! ;p

    ((Hugs))
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like getting to know you better..and what better time of year to do so? Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Vee! I joined in on this meme cuz it sounded like such good Christmas fun! I need things to get me in the mood this year! We have a party this Saturday evening, and I'm really looking forward to it!

    Looks like ya'll are in for some cold snowy weather, dear Vee. Hunker down and stay warm! Hope everyone is doing okay and you are in good spirits! Christmas is upon us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Neat pic of your kitty sitting in the window - and you've already changed it! I like your tree decorations, too, and it's all glowy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh that was fun! I loved the comment of watching the ice skating!!
    I also loved the memory of your grandparents...it reminds me that the simple things are the ones that are remembered...I need to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Vee, I enjoyed reading this so much, especially your favorite Christmas memory.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  25. A fun list........ Here's my link, Vee

    http://beautiful.wordfromhome.com/2010/12/christmas-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved reading this, Vee, and I am happy to hear that A Christmas Story is also your favourite, as it is mine! Enjoy those kisses under the mistletoe...and love to you and yours!
    Cheers,
    Linda
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. 1. Hot Chocolate or apple cider? Neither...hot coffee will do.
    2. Turkey or Ham? Turkey is for Thanksgiving...ham is for Christmas.
    3. Do you get a fake or real-you-cut-it-yourself Christmas tree? Real tree but someone else cuts it.
    4. Decorations on the outside of your house? You bet.
    5. Snowball fights or sleddin’? Sleddin.
    6. Do you enjoy going downtown shopping? Hate shopping in any part of town =o)
    7. Favorite Christmas song? Little Drummer Boy because it was my Moms favorite.
    8. How do you feel about Christmas movies? OK but they get old after a while...as in 24/7 till Christmas. My new favorite is The Very First Noel...it is timeless.
    9. When is it too early to start listening to Christmas music? Before Thanksgiving.
    10. Stockings before or after presents? Before.
    11. Go to someone else’s house or they come to you? Go to them...to far to ask the entire family to travel here.
    12. Do you read the Christmas Story? If so when? No.
    13. What do you do after presents and dinner? It's presents and breakfast here...then hit the road to visit family.
    14. What is your favorite holiday smell? Fresh cut tree.
    15. Ice skating or walking around the mall? Hate to shop so I'll ice skate for about 5 minutes.
    16. Do you open a present or presents on Christmas Eve, or wait until Christmas day? We open one gift each on Christmas Eve and it has to be from a family member far away. (That way we don't forget to take pictures to send with our Thank You's.)
    17. Favorite Christmas memory? Oddly enough the tiny red glass balls on our shiny silver Christmas tree when I was young.
    18. Favorite Part about winter? When it is over!
    19. Ever been kissed under mistletoe? Yes...even when it was still hanging high in the trees in the forest.

    Merry Christmas Everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What fun....enjoyed reading yours, but I don't have the energy to fill one out. Too busy DOING all that stuff, or getting ready to!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just found your blog and absolutely love it. Your projects are really cute. I've never heard of a meme.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello there - I found you via Lorrie's blog and have decided to have a go at this meme - what fun! Thanks for the idea. I should be posting tomorrow evening (French time).

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.