A Haven for Vee

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

An Eclectic Mess

Yesterday morning found us at the doctor's office before 7 am. Even though John insists that he's only 26, his doctor tells him that his neck is definitely 64. In May, John took a tumble down a flight of stairs while carpentering (no, not here) and gave his already sore neck quite the jolt. Next week, he'll get some pain management therapy followed by more the week after. Hopefully, that will make life a whole lot more pleasant. Many of you are dealing with chronic pain so you understand. (I'm thinking of Brenda today, too, with that tooth of hers and Linds with that knee of hers, and Sandi with that RA and so many of you.)

After the nice visit with the doc, we treated ourselves out to breakfast at Denny's where they are trying something new (at least in our corner). It's this gigantic breakfast served on a sizzlin' hot pan that spits and hisses for a full minute after getting to the table. Very impressive not to mention intimidating! I couldn't eat all of mine so John took over for me.

Then it was off to Wal*Mart to find more fabric. I am turning into a fabric freak! This. has. got. to. stop. I know you women who are fabric freaks and I don't want to be you. :D



Spent the afternoon catching up in Blogdom...so many cares and concerns about... If any of you haven't seen Barbara's response to Sunday's post, allow me to share something she said. This is a quote that hangs in her home: Sometimes God calms the storm and sometimes he lets the storm rage and calms His child.

Then, glancing at the last of the day lilies, I remembered a recipe that La Tea Dah had posted awhile ago. As per usual, I didn't have all the ingredients I needed so had to improvise, but, oh my, was it ever good! It's called Rice, Basil, & Sun-dried Tomato Salad with Daylilies. Perhaps you can read my version here:



And, though not as pretty as La Tea Dah's, it's still a lot prettier than most things I've served.



After supper, I decided to bake cookies in the toaster oven. I think of it as a handy way to limit one's intake...right! ;> I used Pillsbury sugar cookie dough, tossed in some dried cranberries, white chocolate chips, some chopped walnuts, and then John chopped a Hershey bar up and in it went, too. Yummy! Sure took care of the sweet tooth for a bit, though the thought of root beer floats loomed all evening. Perhaps tonight!

Create yourselves a beautiful Tuesday! (We're off touring today, BBL.)

19 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about John's neck, I have an injury from many years ago and it's an ongoing battle, my prayers will be with him.

    Vee, it's fine to shop for fabric as long as you continue to make things...it's when you have closets, drawers and under the bed is full of fabric that someone needs to do an intervention! (no, that's not me but I have several family members :)

    I loved Barbara's response, thank you for sharing, sometimes I enjoy everyone's comments as much as the post itself.

    Dinner looked wonderful, I'm sorry I missed it!

    Have an awesome Twosday!
    Hugs,
    Kathi :)

    PS
    You sound soooo happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a stash. It is huge. Sigh. What can I say. I love fabric! I just need to speed up the usign of it.
    I hope John's pain is managed well soon. Aches and pains are no fun at all. Have fun today!

    PS those cookies sound delicious. I love makign up things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Both to the cookies and the beautiful rice salad. Why can't I get the image of your dancing around your kitchen with that flower in your teeth out of my head! :)

    I hope the docs can help John's neck pain. My mother's John is a carpenter too and after 40 years of swinging a hammer, he had shoulder surgery last year. He's doing great now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about John's hurting neck. Hope he feels better soon.

    I love root beer floats, but then I love anything to do with ice cream as you know! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's never enough fabric. Never. Even with an entire room full I'm always missing that piece that's "just right".

    I certainly hope that the pain management helps John. Chronic pain can just drain the color out of life.

    Dinner looks terrific. Are there any leftovers??

    I think that you did a good job of dressing those Pillsbury cookies up. They sound wonderful.

    - Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. As ex-massage therapist... I say go the full gamut with what can be done for John. Begin with x-rays to see extent of damage..if they show nothing go directly to bone scan...try chiropractic if it is alignment... massage to loosen and elongate tissue that was damaged and probably now has plenty of scar tissue gumming things up...and also... physio and exercises and whatever else they offer to help to strengthen the neck, shoulder and upper back muscles in order to aid in the work the neck does. It won't be easy and it won't be quick...but at least you guys are making a start....good luck with first finding out exactly what the problem is....and...keep pushing...the medical system is tough to negotiate (I am sure it is the same there as here) and will usually prefer to toss a bottle of pills in your direction than guide you through the maze if you don't take things into your own hands....first you need to know exactly what the problem is...then begin a course of action...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vee..I know what you mean about fabrics...I have a couple of boxes of just gorgeous fabrics. When I bought them I knew exactly what for. Well things happen, along with new interest and change in decor....I know better than to part with them..one day I will use them for something, don't you think? Now you have me wanting a root beer float! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fabric...an fabris stores...but I've been trying to stay away until my 'pending projects' have been completed! But keep sewing...and then you can keep buying fabric.

    I have a whole bed of daylilies...and I'd never thought of snipping them to brighten up a dish. I like that!

    Hope John's neck improves...that's not a fun thing to deal with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I do hope John's neck is feeling better soon! It's no fun going around with any type of pain, but a literal pain in the neck is just awful! Poor guy!
    You HAD to say rootbeer float! What were you thinking?? Now I'm gonna have to go get the fixin's for one! LOL! Thanks a bunch Vee!
    : )
    Have a beautiful Tuesday!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dear jenna deals with chronic neck pain. It is not fun. I will be praying for sweetman, that the therapy will bring him some glorious relief.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor John! A pain in the neck is a real pain in the neck. My P has ongoing problems with his neck, too. He has special exercises to do, which do help, when he actually does them. I'm not pointing fingers, though, because exercise is not one of my strong suits.

    I'm laughing about the fabric because, just last night (honest!) I was telling P that most people who sew or craft have stashes and I need some fabrics to pick from when the mood hits. And then I read Suzanne's comment. Hmmm... maybe that's not a good idea.

    Thank you for your nice comment about my needlebook. The scissor compartment does come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope I'm not entering this twice. Just wanted to mention that the last two new Wal-Marts I have visited did not have a fabric section. Sad but true.

    Hope John's neck therapy works soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I visit often and always enjoy. Your new header is beautiful, and I also collect fabric....for someday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is an "Off Topic Comment" but...I seem to have lost my knack for posting/commenting in 'Blog Land,' for a while. All I do lately, is put up a few photos, here and there. I didn't plan on it... It just happened.

    And since I don't want anyone to think I got *uppity* or anything, :-) I'm leaving this comment, to explain my absence.

    I'm sure to be back in not too long. Can't keep a "Chatty Person" quiet, for too long. :-)

    Miss Mari-Nanci

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope your dh is feeling better soon! I have RA too so I know how
    painful things like that can be.
    Your post has made me hungry now :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry your honey is feeling bad. Chronic pain gets on your nerves after a while. Mine was waking me up at night. I pray he gets to feeling better. New fabric is wonderful. Can you really have too much?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! I'm sorry to hear that John was hurt, but relieved that it wasn't too serious an injury! I hope pain management and an anti inflammatory helps!
    Nice recipe and it looks so gourmet!

    I posted photos of my beautiful new hand made by Vee apron this evening! Thanks again!

    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  18. That brown rice sun dried tomato salad sure looked tasty. And those cookies...sounds like you made the recipe better!

    How fun it must be to cook for your beloved.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah neck pain is so debilitating. . I hope it improves soon.
    That dinner looked pretty yummy and now I'm hungry for a sizzlin breakfast . . the only problem it is nearly 11 at night and time for bed.

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.