A Haven for Vee

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Project Long in the Making and Not Yet Finished


This is a little project that I have been working on for months. I have tried it many ways and have ripped it apart several times. And gosh, now I see that those buttons just won't cut it. I think that I may be too much of a perfectionist. It'll never be perfect so why do I keep trying? I'll tell you why... this is for a very special gal who could whip one of these up herself (with one hand tied behind her back and blindfolded) in no time flat and it. would. be. perfect. I think of it this way, though. Don't good chefs need someone to bake or cook for them sometimes? And wouldn't a painter enjoy a painting done especially for him/her? And doesn't a good writer appreciate good writing? Sure. Anyway, that's my philosophy and the reason I have soldiered on despite being out of my element. At least I'm learning new things.

Have I ever told you that I am not a fan of messes? They make me nervous. This from a former first-grade teacher who taught her own art classes. That was probably the beginning right there! Anyway, creating is always messy. Always. Maybe I just need some extra room. My space is filling up rapidly and especially so after my sister gifted me with tons of her stamping things. I'm delighted and appalled all at the same time.

Anyway, with one of those hundreds of stamps and some fabric ink, I've been practicing making my own ribbon. Ohhhh, I like it. Yes, I do believe that I can get used to this.

Did I tell you that I lost the beautiful armoire in my sewing room? It didn't really belong to me so it went to join the rest of the set at my son and daughter-in-law's. John helped me move in an extra bureau floating about...the attic's full of them...and so I set up my new station. About the same time, my mother gave me this vintage suitcase that belonged to her grandmother. I filled it with the canning jars that contain buttons and old lace. That's *Pearl* sitting right up there atop the pile beside a vintage postcard. (Pearl used to belong to Nan, but Nan began to think that Pearl was staring at her. This is pretty common for Alzheimer's patients I am told.)


It's all a-jumble and needs some tending. Oh well! Thankfully, no one on the first floor can see it, except now that I've shared with all of you, that seems a moot issue. :D

Concerning Nan...we have been waiting for official word for several days now of where she will be going after her hospital stay. It's all been so up in the air. I've kept myself busy packing for her knowing that she's not coming directly home. She's in such rough shape after that fall. She's been unable to feed herself because her hands are so crippled and so it's meant trying to get there for all of her meals so she'll be able to eat. It's an awful thing to know that if you're not at the hospital, your loved one will go hungry. The staff is much too busy to help with feeding the patients. Crazy state of affairs now let me tell you.

Anyway, I'm taking her rollator along to the nursing home and I wanted it to have a cute tag so it won't get lost. Hope Nan likes it...of course, her name is written in what appears to be an empty center.
Guess that's all I've got for today... I hope to get caught up with you soon!


27 comments:

  1. Vee, I sit and write and then I delete it. My prayers are with you, your grandmother, and all your family. I have learned a great deal through your shared experiences with your grandmother. You have been and you still are a tower of strength - even on those days when you think you aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post, Vee. I love your creativity and that you are now finding a bit of time to enjoy it.

    I have to remind myself that most often things look worse before they get better in all things of life. This helps me keep going.

    Hugs.

    I am so thankful that Nan is in the hospital. Sorry that it is not as good as it could be, though.
    My Aunt experienced the same problem when my Grandma was in the hospital.

    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see your project finished. What a neat use for your old luggage and jars, great organization with a fun twist. Blessings to you, as always, with Nan and this journey! You are in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your art piece is perfect as it is - it's lovely and your reciepent will love it. Beautiful!
    I love your workspace and love the idea of the jars in teh suitcase!

    Sometimes you have to look beyond all the mess and into the creative process..after all, when you look at the finished piece, you'll barely remember if the bed was made or the dishwasher emptied..just that the time you spent creating was soooo worthwhile!

    Give Nan a hug from someone in Utah and give one to yourself as well..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Art, like life isn't perfect Miss Vee....:-). It is the little imperfections that make it so wonderful. I love the piece you are working on.

    My studio is always a mess during a project. Then I clean it, and mess it up again.

    I am glad you Nan is in the hospital, but I am frustrated along with you that they are understaffed. Sending hugs your way.
    xo
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pray for Nan and you each morning when I'm out walking. Hope today is a good day.
    I think your project is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is a lovely post written by a lvely lady with much love in her heart for another! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to see that between hospital visits you are finding some "you" time to enjoy creative things. I really like the project you are working on and must tell you that the first thing that caught my eye was those beautiful buttons.
    Also, love what you have done with the suitcase and the little dolls lined up in front are so precious.
    Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Vee,

    I just said a prayer for you and Nan...may God watch over and bless you all!

    Blessings!
    ~Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother was born in 1916 and gave birth to her youngest child--me--when she was 40. She was near 70 when diagnosed with Alzheimer's and then passed at age 80. She went through all the stages of that disease and I know the difficulty in caring for her. My mother would have been 94. I will keep you and Nan in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you have to be the most loving, dedicated,
    talented granddaughter ever born.

    nan will love her sweet surprise. i hope i
    got that right! my kids all came in as i
    was writing and now i don't trust myself.

    blessings,
    lea

    ps. "i have been young and now i am OLD,
    yet i have never seen the righteous forsaken
    or their SEED begging bread." psalm 37:25

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like 'messes' either. Guess that's the reason I'll pick, for [not having the guts to] for not trying to do crafty things.

    Sounds like a perfectly good reason, to me! ,-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How do I say what I want to say, without [again] sounding heartless? No way I guess, because if that's how anyone wants to take it, they will do so.

    You know my first thought is always of you, VEE. And this is the first post here, which sounds as if this long struggle has come to an end for you. The struggle of taking home care of your very aged Grandmother.

    Everything has finally come to pass, to show everyone [even the *always benevolent* government agencies], that you can NO LONGER do this care at home.

    I know you tried, well beyond what many could have tried to do. But I worry about how much this has taken, out of your own life span.

    Enough. I said I would not harp here, again. And I won't.

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Vee, you are an angel. Your sweet Nan is so blessed to have you in her life.
    My Mother spent 10 years in a care center after her 2nd stroke left her unable to care for herself in any way:( We would get there several times a week to help her but could'nt be there as often as was needed.
    They would wheel the patients into a special dining room, set them at a round table with a seat in the middle, where an aid would sit, and go around the circle giving each one a bite.
    Mim has been gone almost 4 years now, and every time I pass that place I say, " Mom, I'm so happy you aren't there anymore."
    Love your project, dislike messes, and I am a recovering perfectionist:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Vee - Good to get back to my blog friends after having been gone!

    I went back and read all about Nan's fall and her dilemna. Whew! I'm firmly convinced that Dr's don't know "jack" about everything, and we know our loved ones the best. You really have to stay on top of hospital staff and nursing home and rehab staff as well to make sure they're doing the best job they can for their patients. WE have to be the ones to insist upon certain things at times.

    Poor Nan - she should certainly have stayed in the hospital and that Dr. should have been horsewhipped!!! What ever happened to the Hippocratic oath?
    It ticks me off so badly to hear about this because of dealing with Tony's parents the last few years, we've dealt with alot of these same issues.

    She's very blessed and lucky to have you to care for her. Hang in there, Vee - you're one tough cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes - your lacy artsy sewy thingie there is going to be just lovely! And I love the old bureau with the suitcase and the laces dripping artisticly out of the drawer! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Praying for all of you and wishing you a beautiful week...m.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your art project looks so beautiful to me, Vee. Sometimes we are our own worse critics.


    I know a little of what you are going through with Nan because we went through similar path with my mother-in-law for nine years. It is very hard no matter what decision is made because it is hard to see a loved one slip away mentally and physically.

    I'm praying for you all, Vee!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My prayers are with you, as well. I love your ribbon making. I also love the trunk and the jars... gorgeous.

    I think you need to sic Willard Scott onto your hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great trunk, jars and art projects. Just lovely.
    Vee, I continue to keep you, John, Nan in my prayers. I think of you all through the day, and lift you up to Him.
    I'm also very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Vee, I have surfed back and read your posts. I was so sorry to hear about your nan. One of the reasons why I retired was the sad state of affairs in the hospital I worked. Under staffed,over worked, and most of all people just not caring. It can become very frustrating. Today it's get the patient in and then get them out. Stand firm. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't wait to see the finished project...it looks wonderful so far. Your tag is cute, too. Also, I really like the suitcase filled with jars full of crafting/sewing supplies...useful and pretty!

    Take care,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  23. Delightful tag to brighten up your grandmother's day.

    Like the way you have stylised your storage into a creative display.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes, creating is a very messy business. Ask me!! I'm buried in fabric and stuff. I love the thought of creating ribbon. Are you going to give a tutorial? I hope so.

    I'm glad that Nan is safe in the hospital but very sad that they can't find the staff to feed her. I can't imagine that a hospital would risk the results of not feeding a patient.... but then again I haven't had any of my loved ones hospitalized for awhile. I'm hoping that the social workers find a quality place for her interim stay.

    Be good to yourself through all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi sweet Vee!!!! Ohmygoodness girl, I'm so, so glad to see that you're creating!!!!! And what a gorgeous piece too! I'm the same way about messes...I can only tolerate so much and have to stop and organize everything :) Keeping you, John and Nan in my prayers sweet friend, hugs and love, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a lovely project Vee. Interesting to see that yu are using stamps for some of your images too.

    Sorry to red of Nan's difficulties. Same here, families end up going in to feed patients as the nursing staff just do not have the time. Remember when young a nurse would sit and spoon feed any patient their meal. How times change.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Vee, what delightful things do you keep in the jars in the suitcase?

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.