A Haven for Vee

Monday, August 30, 2010

Fish Street


Photo by Aunt Sharon




Shoot! Didn't I go and miss Mosaic Monday altogether. That's too bad, but I've made some mosaics and I'm going to use them all the same.






Mother, John and I were invited to Fish Street where my Aunt Sharon and Uncle Billy live. (Edited to add: Mother has just told me that we invited ourselves. Mother!) They actually live in Connecticut, but have the good sense to hightail it back to Maine for the summer where they have an adorable home on Uncle Billy's family homestead right there in the foothills of the White Mountains.


I waltzed in with my camera hanging about my neck and immediately suggested that my aunt allow me to take pictures of her home for my blog. I just love her house! What a sweetheart she was for allowing me to twist her arm. 















What is going on with this post?

























The actual "theme" of my aunt and uncle's home is fish and fishing. There are fishing items all around, which is appropriate considering the name of their street, but my aunt doesn't allow the fishing theme to overwhelm and does have many "softening" touches as you can see. One of my favorite things was the hutch that she painted (the colors are not true here...it's more of a soft yellow) in the style of Mackenzie Childs. She says she's tired of adding the layers and isn't finished and may never be. Gosh we must be cut from the same bolt. That's my problem. I can never get to finished because I give up early. Even if she is finished, it looks great as is.





Seems that I introduced my aunt to Blogdom a year ago. She is there in the middle of this mosaic wearing one of her favorite vintage aprons. She has treasures tucked in every corner and there is so much to see. I took so many pictures! Sadly, many didn't turn out. Her favorite blog is Magnolia Pearl. Now that's a far cry from A Haven for sure! How did that happen? Anyway, I warn you that MP is the slowest loading blog I've ever visited, but what fussy fun!



The following mosaic shows another reason for our visit — meeting my aunts and a cousin who just so happened to become a grandmother for the first time while we were there. What fun! (Welcome to the world, Sweet Bennett.) And my aunt in blue became a great-grandmother once again. She was pretty tickled. If only I had taken a picture of my cousin's face. It was so alight with joy that my Uncle Billy turned away with a sniffle saying, "I can't take all this emotional stuff." (He's such a sweetie is my Uncle Billy.) :D









Center Photo: My Three Aunts and My Mother

L–R top row:

Window box at fairgrounds featuring lots of lantana


Window box at my aunt and uncle's...he makes these


Across the street corn fields


Window box at fairgrounds featuring purples and grays






second row:


Ancient trees in the yard


A beautiful home on Fish Street







third row:


Vintage green truck car at another beautiful home on Fish Street

Same ancient trees

fourth row:

previously identified except for birdhouse in backyard







We had such fun! It was so good to see everyone! It was so good to get away!





AND I didn't come home empty-handed. Besides produce from the garden, my aunt also gave me these treasures:










That's an envelope purchased from some blog...very sweet idea...it's made with the page from a book and superimposed with silhouette posies and grasses and the little bird is cut from black paper and is dimensional. See the darling perfume bottle? My aunt is now collecting perfume bottles. She gave this one to me. And a White House cookbook copyrighted in 1899 filled with old recipes and ideas for housekeeping. I'll be sure to share a few one day. And a piece of linen already ready for the printer. Now that sounds cool!


Thank you so much to all my family for sharing such a sweet day. Hope that we can do it again and a little sooner!


And thanks to you, Dear Reader, for tagging along; loved having you. Come back tomorrow and I'll share the rest of our story—the GPS adventure from hell and I have pictures to prove it!

Edited to Add 9/02/10: Thought I'd end on a sweeter note with my cousin's new grandson mentioned in this post. Just received his photo late last night and thought how very precious he is.


23 comments:

  1. Your aunt's home is delightful. Thanks for taking us along on the journey.
    Your next post sounds...tantalizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely visit! DOn't you just love the casual fun of visiting relatives you don't get to see always? Your aunt has beautiful home and wonderful taste. I like her fish; it's a great way for hubby to feel welcome in their home as well.

    As always your pictures are beautiful! I am so glad you had a chance to get away.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a nice visit to your aunt's! I love her style - right up my alley! Beautiful pictures, Vee, and yes, I'm sure autumn is just about there in your neck of the woods. I can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your aunts home and it sounds as if you all had a wonderful day.
    Great mosaics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for allowing me to tag along on your visit to 'Fish Street!' BEAUTIFUL pics....lovely blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vee, I sure enjoyed reading your post today. Love the photos, your aunt has a warm and cozy style that I just love!

    I'm so happy that you got to visit them. Sounds like a lovely time! Thanks for sharing.

    Have a great day,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, great post! Beautiful mosaic's too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a super visit, that must have been!!! Just super!

    "Her favorite blog is Magnolia Pearl."

    What a Net find!!! And the Home Page Header is complete with vintage erotica. I love it!

    Do I feel a new Header idea *calling* me? ,-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a precious post Vee, complete with a most wonderful photo of your Aunts and Mom.

    Sadly all my aunts and uncles have passed on --my Mom is the last of her family and my Dad's only sister passed a few years ago. I miss them all. Enjoy all the good times yiu can with your relatives!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That seems like it just may have been a breath of fresh air after the year you have been having. Such a lovely place to visit and what happy news to receive while you were there.

    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful post. If I ever have a house on a lake, I am going to find an old boat and use it as a planter. I love that idea!

    It looks so beautiful there Vee!
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful mosaics and a lovely story! I always look forward to visiting your blog...I never know where it will take me! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely day you had, Vee! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your aunt has a beautiful home and your mosaics portray this beauty so well. How nice to have an aunt that you share so much in common with. It look like a great time was had by all.
    The flowers in the row boat look perfect for a home on Fish Street.

    ReplyDelete
  15. dear vee,

    what a hip blog your aunt follows!
    i loved her sweet home with all
    its treasures, especially the red
    truck.

    mostly i loved how much fun you
    had and knowing you got out and
    about!

    looking forward to more of the
    story.

    love,
    lea

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun visit! Love that boat full of flowers! What a quaint home, thank you for letting us tag along. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Vee!

    I really enjoyed this post! I have an apron very similar to Aunt Ess' in a drawer that belonged to our boys dear baby-sitter/nanny when they were wee ones. I think I should get it out in honor of her loving care and wear it! Love Aunt Ess' decor... lovely and comfortable, in other words perfect.

    Thank you for your prayers for Tony, such a sweet honorable man, with such a heavy physical burden. Thanks from the bottom of my heart... you're the best!!

    Have a grand week!! Big hugs, Sherry

    PS Loved your past story about Lil and her home. I have one memory of my great-granddad's old farmhouse and it looked very much the same as your description. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for taking us along to your aunt's home...on Fish Street. Lots of neat things over there!

    We are both on the 'fishy' theme today. Fish street...fish river...it's all about fish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great post! LOVE IT!! Wish I could have some of those pretty flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh what wonderful times, photos memories and GOODIES! love that you took us along..

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have the same cookbook from my grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What beautiful pictures! I especially love the first one with all of the pretty flowers. It looks like you had a wonderful time. Your aunt has a lovely home.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great post. Just full of fun and family. It makes me miss all mine...they are all gone now.
    Love her hutch and thank you for sending me the link.
    love, bj

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.