A Haven for Vee

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Baby Grand's Day in the Park

Violet Picking on Mother's Day

Just a few refresher points to fill in the background story for new readers and for those readers who don't remember every detail of every blogger's life. (I am always surprised by those readers who do.)

Point 1: John and I like spending time in the cemetery. We do not find this morbid; we think of it as spending time in a park.

Point 2: The grands are 5 and 4. The baby grand is quite a handful.

Point 3: John and I are not spring chickens. We are not middle-aged. We are old.

Point 4: The grands have new bikes. And helmets.

Point 5: My son had his wisdom teeth removed last Friday.

Point 6: The baby grand is quite a handful.

When the weather turned to something resembling spring a few days ago, I began to dream about taking the boys bike riding in the cemetery. It's larger than their driveway; the roads are paved; there's nearly zero traffic. It sounded like quite the lovely plan.

Their parents were fine with the idea considering one couldn't think straight and the other was busy as could be caring for the one who couldn't think straight.

So it was with great anticipation all the way around that the boys arrived with bikes, helmets, and high hopes. First, we'd go out for supper at our local eatery and take it from there. They were told that if they ate good suppers, it'd be bike riding time. They nearly ate the restaurant down. I had to assure them that, if they were full, it was okay to quit eating. Since their eyes and tummies were bulging, they welcomed the news.

Baby Grand was a bit of a handful at the restaurant because he was more interested in the booth behind us than what was going on in our own. Never fear. This nonni straightened him right around each time dangling bike riding like a carrot ever before him.

We may be idealistic, but John and I are not stupid. We knew that there had to be rules so we began laying them down on the block and a half to the cemetery and again when we arrived. The boys would listen. They would stop when told. They would pull off the road if a car came. They would keep circling around to allow us to catch up. They would not go fast. They would not go fast and put their brakes on just to lay skid marks. They would not ride on any graves.

Too many rules?

For three minutes everything went according to plan. We walked briskly and kept up nicely. Then Baby Grand put on a burst of speed and made it to the corner taking a sharp right. "Stop." "StOP." "STOP," I bawled. Baby grand looked back and saw me bringing up the rear and took off in another burst of speed wearing a little Baby Grand grin.

Thinking quickly (perhaps for the first and only time), I scampered across the corner leaping past gravestones and markers "Oops, sorry, Mr. Reynolds...Excuse me, Hazel" until I nabbed Baby Grand. He was some surprised as he never expected me to come out ahead of him.

Again the explanations, which now included, "This is your last warning. If you don't listen to Nonni, you won't be riding your bike." He seemed to understand; at least, he nodded his head at all the appropriate places.

I turned him around and headed him for the back of the cemetery, the safe side. And off he went in a little cloud of Baby Grand dust.

For a while I kept up nicely. Really I did. John and the Older Grand were happily spending time way on the other side of the cemetery.

It soon became obvious that Baby Grand was not going to STOP. He was chugging his way up a steep incline. It wasn't long before I became aware of another chugging going on to my left. I looked and there was John jogging along. He shot me a what the heck are you doing look, which I responded to with lots of huffing "He is not going to be able to make that hill!" John huffed back, "Oh he's going to make the hill all right. Look at him!" Sure enough, sturdy little legs were still pumping along as the bike climbed ever higher.

The good news is that John reached Baby Grand just as he and the bike crested the hill. Baby Grand did not crash down the large embankment 70 feet away. I arrived seconds later as did Older Grand.

"That's it, Buster. You're not riding your bike anymore today." A nonni knows her limits after all.

John walked the bike back. I walked Baby Grand back. Older Grand rode his bike back somberly.

Later Older Grand told me that riding in the cemetery wasn't that much fun because he was terribly worried about his little brother. Me, too. Me, too.

Baby Grand and his dad


Postscript:

Baby Grand is a dear little boy. He is also autistic. He began going to a special school last summer and goes year around with no more than a few days off. He'll be going all summer this year, too. We are delighted that he is responding well to all that he has been taught, that his vocabulary grows by leaps and bounds, that he responds appropriately to hugs and kisses. He is not the one making the mistakes. I am. I hope that some wonderful spring day in the future, we can try bike riding again. I'll be taking along extra helpers. I have learned my lesson.

32 comments:

  1. Oh I'm sure the spirits laid to rest enjoyed the sound of child's play and yes the gentle scolding of Nonni!Always a nice day when with baby grands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vee, what a writer you are! I also like walking in cemeteries and reading the headstones. Interesting stuff. On of my homeschooling friends used to take her kids to ride bikes at the cemetery when they were young. Safe and quiet. Very quite. Wish I'd thought of it!
    You have your hands full and can teach the rest of us a few things about grands 'when they come'.
    You may need some running shoes :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing to me, with my children now in their teens, how hard it is to maintain the energy needed to keep up with young ones already. It is kind of like we passed through that stage in a blur and I have forgotten so much of it.

    You are an awesome nonni. You gave the children a gift of an afternoon in the park. I'm glad all ended well. You both proved yourselves very able to care for active little ones.

    It is great to hear that the youngest is doing so well in his special school. What adorable children they are!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Vee! I think your readers are pretty much exhausted after keeping up with you and the Grands cemetary adventure. You done good Nonni.

    The Grands are just as cute as they can be and they are lucky to have grandparents like you and John.

    OK, now I'm going to take a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am worn out just reading about this adventure!
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think you ever said this before, that he is autistic. But I can see why you did.

    Because otherwise, I'd have been ranting on about... "How could you let him get away with so much?" Since I am not a "oh-they-can-do-anything" kind of a Nana.

    -sigh-

    Gentle hugs all round,
    ~♥~

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was an adventure for the reader as well! I was right there with you and John, chasing the little guy! That's a Grandma's challenge isn't it? Giving the kids an opportunity for fun and exploration, yet keeping them well protected (which I often find I'm more concerned about than their own parents!)

    Thought about you Sunday especially, knowing what precious memories would come your way.
    I've been sick in bed over this Mothers' Day. (Good thing we had lots of leftovers to eat from company earlier in the week.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could make this into a story for him, you know, complete with drawings of you and John huffing up the hill! Well done, Nonni! Heroic, I call it. Charging up hills don't appear in my granny guide!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart just jumps with the biggest hug to his grandmother and to the Baby Grand. As an owner of a Baby Grand piano I know the beautiful music God brings from both...which you so beautifully shared today.

    You did a great job Nonni!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go, Nonni, Go!

    What a wonderful gift you gave to those boys. One of which is the gift of meaning what you say! You taught them that by your actions.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such a good Nonni! Riding in a cemetary IS a good idea! It is also so peaceful there.

    I so loved your story, Vee. It is as though I was there with you. My 2 year old nephew is being tested for autism. When you said that Baby Grand is responding to hugs and kisses, it made me think of Bodie. He won't let anyone hug him, except Mom. And he has tactile issues, too.

    Sending a hug your way!

    xxoo
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the spirit of a child! If I had half the energy of mine (I think they tap into mine for extra), the days would be so much more productive. As for the cemetery for riding, it is a lovely idea. I love the quiet, peacefulness found. It's also one of my favorite places to take pictures both of my children and the landscape.

    Hope you are enjoying a lovely spring week,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, that sounds like quite an adventure. I'm worn out just reading about it. You and John are wonderful grandparents to think up such an outing and pay such careful attention to their safety.
    Those 2 baby grands sure are cute. I'm glad the youngest is responding well to his new school. It seems like autism is becoming much to widespread.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Walking through a cemetery is pure therapy. I just might get my little granddaughter and take her there today. It's not hot and it's very shady there. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a wonderful Nonni Vee. :)
    I love that story! I can just see you.... ;p (I'm not laughing... really)

    Muwhahahahaha etc.

    ((Hugs))
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes, my darlin' Vee, the Baby Grands are quite a handful...even when they get to be medium grands! I love that you and John love being in the cemetary park...I love to read the headstones and imagine what the people (who are mostly my relatives) did and how they lived...fun post if it did start out in a cemetary!
    love ya
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a tale! And so well told. Have you recovered yet?

    I like wandering through graveyards as well - I wonder about the lives represented by the stones, and enjoy reading the sayings.

    Your Baby Grand is a delight, as well as a handful. I'm so glad that he's doing well. Autism can be so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Old! Come on!Not for a long time.

    Looks like you had some good hair raising fun.

    Glad to read that baby grand is doing so well and progressing.

    You are blessed. My grands have not been over since September.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vee, I have to admit the visualization I had while reading this post made me chuckle more than a few times! The little ones can sure e wear us out at our age, can't they?

    I'm so glad you baby grand is responding well to his school's program. That is so encouraging! My husband's niece just found out her 3 year old has autism and they enrolled him in a special program that also seems to be helping. Thank goodness more is known about autism these days with good results with intervention.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I'm sorry...but this had me laugh out loud..and I am at WORK! You poor thing! I can just see that Baby Grand smile..bet he was flying high! And good for you AND John for hanging in there..we are never too old for great lessons..and he's just taught you a great one...that boys will be boys..no matter. no matter..

    ReplyDelete
  21. HAAAHHHAAAAA....I loved and laughed throughout the entire story. You need to sit yourself down, Mizz Vee, and write a book. This is too cute.

    I never could figure out why people called other people in their 50's, middle aged. Not many of us will live to be a hundred!!
    I am already 2 years older than my mama when she died. Oh, yes, 73 and 77 are OLD !!!Yes, we are. All our grands are teens except for one little 10 year old. My goodness sakes.

    Yes, when things start getting busy, I have to take a day or two off from blogging. Don't even go near my computer during down-time.
    I have a feeling I will be doing it often throughout the summer. Lots of plans....:))

    ReplyDelete
  22. Every time I go spend time with the grands I am determined to keep up and enjoy every bit of it. No matter what I enjoy it but it takes me a couple of days to re recoop. That was a wonderfully well written story Vee. Our youngest is 12 and she is perpetual motion.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am sitting here tonight,reading this, nodding my head, and grinning at yours and John's adventure , Oh! what grand memories for me. Vee. You have such a wonderful gift at expressing your thoughts, I felt as though I was there with you all. Now when are you going to finish that Book????
    As I look back on time spent with our g-kids, it just went to fast, and oh how blessed you and John are to have them near by. Enjoy! Enjoy! and when you do get realllly reallly Old like us you will have this wonderful bank of memories to draw from.~LOL~
    Now I must go and catch up on your previous post. I am working 10 hrs. a day and haven't been on my computer since Sunday.
    Hugs,
    Sue
    btw~ I love your new blog design, so pretty and easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What wonderful Grandparents you are! Time spent with my own are my most treasured memories:)
    And how pleased I am to hear of the help Baby Grand is recieving! Far too many parents are in denial about thier childs condition, and early intervention is KEY TO PROGRESS!
    It sounds as though he has been blessed with a family that is both loving and supportive, half of the battle has been won!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Vee,
    What a delightful story!
    I enjoy strolling through a cemetery too.
    I took Chickie to ours once when she was about 7.
    She rode her little pink bike, I walked the dog. She went too fast. She flew over her handlebars and hurt her wrist. (a small buckle fracture, as it turned out)
    As she lay weeping in the cemetary, I tried to get her to go back home with me. She said she couldn't. I told her I would get the car and come back for her...
    So I mounted the little pink bike, had the dog on leash running alongside me, and rode home, feeling like a circus clown on a tiny bike.
    Came back with the car, back to where Chickie still lay weeping, and took her home.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an exciting adventure, making sweet memories with your precious little grands.
    They grow up too soon.

    Wonderful news that baby grand is doing so well.

    I love your exciting story!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Whew, I bet you were scared! I see that you mentioned "Baby Grand is quite a handful" several times, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  28. All's well that ends well...this time! Whew...you had us all along for the ride.

    He is a sweetie! So sad that he has to deal with autism...and all the 'special ed' that entails. But it's not hopeless...and it sounds like he is responding well. Hang in there, Nonni.

    ReplyDelete
  29. He sounds like my David when he was little. : )
    Great writing Vee, I can picture it perfectly.
    I like walking around cemeteries too, but then I like walking anywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my goodness, puff, puff, I'm all out of breath just thinking about keeping up with those little Grands - especially the baby Grand - I love this story the way it was told!!! Hold on whilst I catch my breath!

    I love cemeteries! Great idea to go bike riding there - hopefully, they can go again. I thinK I'd take me some helpers, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What an interesting way to get exercise! Isn't it amazing how much more energy is in those little legs than in ours? This is a story you'll remember for years and years to come. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh Vee. . .I smiled and nodded and completely understood.

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.