A Haven for Vee

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Last Chance

Just in case you've not heard or haven't had the chance, this is the final day to sign up for a gently used Mennonite Girls Can Cook cookbook. Just look to the right in my sidebar and click on the books to find the proper post. Comments here will not be counted; comments there will be. Currently, there are 44 with some not wishing to be counted so the odds are excellent.
~~~~~~~~~~~

I felt properly chastened yesterday while reading Memorial Day posts. There were many about the true meaning of Memorial Day. They were poignant and moving. It was an honor to read them. And it is sobering to know that loss continues on our behalf so we can enjoy time with our families and friends.

The meaning of Memorial Day in my corner has been shifting for over fifty years. It used to be a day for gathering for picnics in the cemetery and honoring the fallen. Now it has beome a day to honor the dead. All dead. Fallen dead or not. It has a much more generic tone. Whether this is a good thing, I do not know. It is what it is.

Yes, in our town, the band still played, the old soldiers still marched, the wreath honoring the sailors was tossed from the bridge, and the flags were placed in Soldiers' Row. We are honored with a soldier from almost every war since the beginning — The Revolutionary War, The War of 1812, The Civil War, The Spanish American War (Remember The Maine!), WWI and WWII, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. We are blessed that while a few served in Desert Storm, no one from our community paid the ultimate price. The same is true of recent wars and current wars. May it continue.

Truth is that I personally know not one who has lost his/her life in service to this country. I know of many. My aunt lost her fiancé in WWII, my father lost a dozen or more friends in the Korean War and the Vietnam War. The boy next door's father was shot down over the Mediterranean in WWII while the boy was still in utero. There's a photo of him as a toddler sitting beside a picture of his father in uniform. I always found that profoundly sad.

~~~~~~~~

This being the sesquicentennial of the Civil War, I'd like to report that I have found Hezekiah. We have been looking for him for years and years. He is Nan's great-grandfather. We've followed after him in futile circles in southern Maine and down to Gloucester, Massachusetts. In November, Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife shared that Ancestry.com was allowing everyone to know where their military ancesters were buried. Surprise, surprise, Hezekiah was a decorated Civil War hero buried in the same cemetery as the rest of his family right there in Gloucester. His wife had received a pension after his death, though he had not died during the war.

Last weekend, the local paper said that anyone visiting this registry:  http://www.civilwar.nps.gov/cwss/ could find any soldier or sailor who served in the Civil War. So we found Hezekiah again. He served with the 32 Massachusetts Infantry in Company D. We now know that he was at Gettysburg and at the final review of the troops in Washington, D.C. And that is all we know, but it is ever so much more than we knew before.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

What honors the fallen more? I dare not say. I can only imagine that if I were one of the fallen, I would like to know that people remembered that the old cliché is true: freedom isn't free. Then I think I'd like to see Old Glory flying high and proud above the land I loved so well. Finally, seeing people enjoy a rousing game of baseball and a hotdog or two would thrill my soul.

20 comments:

  1. I went away for the weekend. During the long drive on Friday, as I stopped through some New Englandy towns I watched some early memorial services. I love that there is a day to honor everyone that has lost their lives to serve our country. It always reminds me of what a wonderful country we live in.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I have not visited so much. Sorting out my new stuff has felt 'never ending'. Will have lots of learning to keep me occupied this coming winter!

    I see you have taken word verification off. I did that for a while as I hate the time it takes but I got so much spam that I had to put it back again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said! Congratulations on finding Hezekiah!! Someday I hope to do some research on our family tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news about Hezekiah! My dad is doing alot of genealogy work on his family. It is so interesting!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very nice post Vee. As I have said you write beautifully. Yes I saw that service offered on Ancestry.Com but didn't have anyone we were looking for in that area. Have a good week dear sista.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful reflections. It felt quietly calm reading this post. I think Hezekiah too would be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dearest Vee...you MUST have been an awesome author in another life. Your writings hold me spellbound until the very end. Then, I always let out a huge breath of air..so I must be holding my breath while reading your words. Your writing is almost like sitting down with you for a conversation...
    I really enjoyed this post. Made me stop and think....
    THE TABLE and I have been in a huge fight this morning...it is now banished to a corner of the living room, letting it's ANOTHER-COAT of paint (well, only on one section) dry. I am so so close to the end...and thanks for your instructions on the paint on the brush..

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you found Hezekiah...and can honour him knowing a little more about him.

    And a good reminder...freedom is never free!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you were able to find Hezekiah. And I like what you said about those who have fallen seeing the rest of us enjoying a baseball game and hot dog roast - that's what they sacrificed for - freedom to live fully and freely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful that you finally found the long-lost ancestor! It must be such a thrill, when something like this happens. Finding... Discovering... Anything... Is wonderful.

    I love to find, discover, etc. and think I should try for ancestors. I think this. And I think this. And I think this. And so far, have not DONE anything about it. -sigh-

    She-who-still-can't-make-my-preferred-pics-post. But I think its my issue and not Blogger, this time.
    ~♥~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Vee,
    I just want to take this time to thank you for your friendship and for always saying the kindest and sweetest things. You truly have the biggest heart.
    You post is lovely and so heartfelt.
    Have a sweet day and big hugs, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very well written. We live on...but we should live our lives in a way that honors God and those that passed before us! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you found you found Hezekiah, Vee! I was holding my breath wondering if you were going to tell us he was buried here in Brooklyn with the almost 5,000 buried in Green-Wood Cemetery. My husband "met" an actual Gettysburg soldier this past weekend. Who knows if he and Hezekiah fought side by side?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Does every town have the same Memorial Day observance? We had almost the same as you described, minus throwing a wreath from the bridge. The wreath was left at the Veteran's Post. Great post, lots to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vee.... you're such a wonderful writer....I love your thoughts on this post...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just noticed that two of your favorite movies are mine, too.
    Wish we could get together, pop up a big bowl of popcorn and a bag of M&M's and watch SHAWSHANK...my most favorite movie...EVER. I do believe I could watch it every single day.
    The Notebook is a really great one, too. DIRTY DANCING is in my top 10..
    O, to get this little white devil table finished so I can WATCH MOVIES AGAIN...
    what else can go wrong??? Is there ANYthing else I need to watch for on stenciling?? O..I HOPE NOT. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw your comments at Pat's blog Mille Fiori Favoriti and you peaked my curiosity. I'm now Following you!

    I really enjoyed your post about Hezekiah! I'm going to pass this link along to my husband, he's history & government professor!

    Living in Massachusetts if we ever get to that cemetery in Gloucester we will visit Hezekiah.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful tribute Vee, So glad you found your ancestor Hezekiah. Thanks for the link.

    Freedom isn't free,and I pray we never lose sight of this.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.