A Haven for Vee

Sunday, October 31, 2010

This Halloween Thing

This Halloween thing... I have skated about it for the three years that I've been blogging. Last year, I really skated since my computer was kaput and I blogged by using the library's computers.

Library in Autumn

The first year, I opined that it was too bad to have October end this way. I have always hated to have October end this way. Another year, I shared photos of the grands in costume. I had a Thomas the Train and a pirate that year. This year, I'll have a conductor and I don't know what.

My own children did not participate in Halloween activities, though we tried to provide fun alternatives. My grands do. If I had my druthers...but that's one of the things I have learned as a grandmother, I don't.

So I am conflicted. I don't enjoy Halloween or any of its pursuits. I adore my grandchildren. They will be visiting the nursing home where their great-great grandmother resides and I am certain that they'll bring a smile or two. The residents enjoy seeing the little ones in their costumes and participating in giving candy.

Still the basis of this "holiday" resides in the dark side. Okay, I'm changing that for my own thinking this year...it's All Saints' Eve and that is how I shall view it. I'll be thinking about lovely things today...

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. ~Philippians 4:8