A Haven for Vee

Friday, October 1, 2010

A Roller Coaster Life

[Gil has been complaining about his complicated life; Grandma wanders into the room]



Grandma: You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.

Gil: Oh?

Grandma: Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride!


Gil: What a great story.


Grandma: I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it. ~from the movie Parenthood 1989
 
If you were to describe your life as an amusement park ride, which one would you choose? I'd definitely choose the roller coaster. It so perfectly describes my life with its ups and downs or perhaps I'm just in the midst of a bipolar episode.
 
The "home" that we visited yesterday was perfection. Just what both my mother and I want for Nan. A view of the ocean, the smell of the ocean, beautiful, clean, a happy staff, and happy clients, too. It would be almost like going home for Nan because she loves the sea so much and spent her summers in Gloucester, Massachusetts. But, for lack of *$13, 000, she won't be accepted. Their criteria is that a patient must be able to pay for a year. Forget that the patient will be 101 in a few short days and that said patient is not doing well. Okay. Moving on.

Last night the three of us trouped off to help with the ongoing moving and settling in. One great thing about this is that we find little treasures. Treasures that would otherwise be going to Goodwill I presume.

I came home with two sets of pajamas and an edition of The Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn. This is the edition where she shares how to reuse a vacuum cleaner bag. I can now reveal that my mother had been, until just a week ago, breathing the same rarified air that Dacyczyn breathed as they lived in the same town. This newsletter was from June of 1990. Wait a minute, wait a minute! This is the premier issue. Wonder if that's worth anything? Thirteen thousand perhaps? (Edited to add: My hopes have been dashed again...this is the issue that was sent to anyone requesting a sample.)
Edited to Add: * No way did I mean to imply that such a facility would cost only $13,000. Of course not! Nan lacks $13,000. She falls short by $13,000. Hmmm, sometimes being clear is so hard for me. This facility will cost three hundred dollars plus a day. But, considering that a dump costs $237.00 a day, we felt that the extra cost would be well worth the peace of mind. BTW, average daily nursing home costs in Maine are $206.00. Wonder how that compares across the country/continent. (Gotta love the Internet. *Here* is my answer.) Double BTW, no medications or medical supplies costs are figured into that amount.

23 comments:

  1. Vee, Since I don't really ride many rides without feeling very unwell after, I think I'd pick the Sky Line. It's got height and travels around the park like a ski lift.
    I continue to keep your family/Nan in prayer. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Carol, but does it best describe your life? Are you above it all and just watching the scene below? :D Thanks so much for the prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I've only ridden a roller coaster once and swore right then and there I would never do that again, I would say that I could definitely describe my life as a roller coaster ride. And through it all my hubby has been sitting right beside me and I've been holding onto him for dear life the whole time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm....I'm not sure what ride I would be. At this moment maybe the Scrambler. That is a bit of what I have been feeling.

    I'm sorry the perfect home didn't work out....

    Praying for an even better option.

    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love roller coasters!! I think my life is a roller coasters too. Up and down and you never know what's up ahead over the hill.
    Take up a collection for Nan. I would donate $500! Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine would have to be Ferris Wheel- sometimes we're up, sometimes down but we eventually can get our feet on the ground.

    Hope things work out for Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm currently on the kiddie coaster ~ you know the one that just has those baby bumps from time to time. After having been on the big roller coaster and the ride where your feet drop out from under you, I am quite content here. Wouldn't mind staying here indefinitely.
    I wish you luck in finding the perfect spot for Nan. The one you described sounds so nice. Maybe there will be something comparable for a more reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that just sucks that you found the perfect place and for the reasons stated, she will be unable to go there.
    Not fair!!
    Hopefully, something else as if not almost, as wonderful will pop up soon!

    I'm with "Happy@Home". I'd say my life is a Kiddy Coaster. I haven't had many big dips or upheavals just some small ones with a bit of excitement here and there. ;p

    ((Hugs))
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does seem like our lives are continually going way down....and then up again! I hope things improve for your family and I am keeping Nan in my prayers. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to love a good roller coaster ride...not always up for it these days! I think I prefer to ride a nice smooth gondola...from one peak to the next...preferably on a sunny day. Oh, and no wind rocking the boat! I guess smooth gondola rides don't build character though...and so we are sometimes put on a ride we didn't choose. Hmmm. You think?

    My thoughts and prayers are with you as you seek to do the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amusement ride. ..perhaps the train. .enough tunnels to keep it mysterious. . enough redundant noise to keep me lulled. .and enough new scenery on the track to keep me interested in what is coming next.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely a roller coaster. I will pray re that perfect place, Vee. Would she have to pay the full $13 000 even if she didn't reach 102?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a pretty good price for a year of care. Such places in my parent's town are $5000 a month. Praying for agood place for Man.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I very rarely ride a roller coaster as they scare me too much.

    I think, like Lovella, my life has been a train ride. I had a slow and steady start, went over some rocky terrain, and hills and valleys at times, but nothing I couldn't handle. I'm not sure when, or how, the train ride will end but I'm trying to enjoy the scenery along the way as best as I can.

    You have a lot on your plate right now, Vee, but I think you have the spiritual strength to be able to deal with it all. I will continue to pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the Tightwad Gazette! I used Amy's suggestions for may years while I was home with the kids. Very useful and frugal advice!
    Praying for the right place for your Nan :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many up and downs..but it always ended up on an even plane..Hmmm..

    I'd be the Fun House..silly, unexpected and a wee bit scary!

    Hope your days are filled with great, seaside memories too. You and Nan deserve only the best..they don;t know what they're missing - Darn them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think my life would be the house of mirrors - puzzling, often distorted, wondering what's coming next. Uncomfortable at times.

    Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My life is a roller coaster too. I pray everything works out for your Nan. All of you have been through so much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. dear vee,

    i bet we could raise $13, 000 in a
    heartbeat from among all your loving
    readers.

    it would bring me great pleasure to
    bring this up on my blog but with
    your approval, of course!

    let's send nan to the sea!!!!

    love,
    lea

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hahaha...you're so cute, Aunt Amelia. But there's no way that I would ever use my blog or anyone else's for such a thing. Still, it warms my heart that you'd suggest it. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's been a roller coaster life for me too, with incredible highs and deeply depressing lows. And during the "highs" (like right now in my life), I cringe a bit because I know that a low will eventually come. That's how life works.

    It is a shame that Nan can't go to that facility. Assisted living places are pretty expensive about everywhere. We both have long-term care insurance in case we ever need it. Odds are, we will since we have no family that we can rely upon.

    I continue to think of you and pray that everything works out for your situation and for Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad you made it clear, I was planning on selling up and coming over!

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.