A Haven for Vee

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Saturday Morning Treat-Cinnamon Rolls in a Skillet

ETA: Disclaimer...this recipe is a work in progress; I am not happy with the progress...stay tuned!

ETA Again: They're not pretty, but they're tasty. That they're not pretty is my own fault, but some adjustments definitely are in order. My tips are added in red below, along with some pics.

My son called last evening to say that he was bringing the boys over this morning around ten. Yippee! I am up early to get busy with this day. Right after I toddler proof the downstairs and get dressed, I'll be slapping these Cinnamon Rolls together.

I often search The Cake Mix Doctor for recipes, but I don't know where I got this recipe. It's not my own; it's not from another blog; that's all I know. Later, I should have a pic or two to add, but how bad can it be presented in a skillet and created from a cake mix?!

Cinnamon Rolls in an Iron Skillet

Ingredients:

* 1 box yellow cake mix plain...no pudding
* 5 cups all purpose flour (I prefer King Arthur unbleached, unbromated)
* 1 package dry yeast
* 2 1/2 cups warm (not hot) water
* 3 sticks of butter at room temperature (No, no, no! Two sticks will do!)
* 1 1/2 cups brown sugar firmly packed (What?! I followed directions below and never found where the additional cup of brown sugar should go. So that's 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar period.)
* 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans or nut of choice
* cinnamon

Method:

* Dissolve yeast in warm water.
* Add dissolved yeast to cake mix/flour mixture.
* Mix with wooden spoon or just use hands.
* Allow to rise in warm place for an hour.

* Divide dough into two equal pieces before rolling out

* On a well-floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Butter the dough with 1 entire stick of butter or each half with a half stick of butter.

* Combine 1/2 cup of white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and cinnamon to taste. Sprinkle over the buttered dough.

* Roll lengthwise and cut into about 24 rolls.

* Butter bottom and sides of two 10-inch skillets using a stick of butter per pan. (No, no, no! A half stick per pan will be more than enough. I only used half a stick per pan and you can see below that it was MORE than enough.)

* Sprinkle buttered skillets with the remaining brown sugar and nuts.

* Put the rolls in skillets and allow to rise an additional hour.

* Bake at 350° for 15–20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and turn rolls out of skillets onto plates. Use any remaining caramel in the skillets to spread on the rolls.



As you can see, a half stick of butter per pan is more than plenty.


This should have been divided for ease of handling, but the recipe did not say that. Don't make my mistake because there is no way to create beautiful cinnamon rolls this way.





I made some of Lovella's Paska frosting to go with the cinnamon rolls. You can find that recipe right here on March 13.



Here are two of my eager guests. In the end, I had five eager guests. You bake it, they will come.




Have a happy Saturday and a great weekend!

19 comments:

  1. Those sound great! Sounds like a recipe for Sunday since I have to work today. Enjoy the day with your grandsons. Your new header looks great. I loved the other ones...outside the back (?) door and the one looking over the sofa table. This one is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, that sounds terrific! Something for me to try when the weather is a bit cooler! BUT...you know me, I usually end up letting the Pillsbury dough boy do all the work! *sigh* : ) Your grandsons are gonna love 'em!!
    Have a great weekend!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds scrumptious! I think the smell of them baking is wafting my way, heavenly! Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a recipe I will try. I love anything sweet.
    Enjoy your time with the boys.

    hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I'm going to try this when my daughter visits. She never met a cinnamon roll that she didn't like. I think you're feeling better today....right?

    - Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your place is looking spiffy today...new banner, and all! And the cinnamon rolls are smelling mighty fun. I guess I won't be trying out your recipe until I get myself a new cast iron skillet (sometime soon).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! That's gotta be good with three sticks of butter :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your new header!
    Have a great time with the grandkids. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, Love, Love your new banner! How pretty! ~Hugs, Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well it sounds yummy. . . I'll be back. .
    Oh Vee, your header is just gorgeous. . I'm a header junkie. . always looking for the prettiest one on the block .. your header is IT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, I love cinnamon rolls any which way, and yours sure sound good to me this morning, wish I was at your house!

    Love your new header, purty!!! Thanks for your visit this morning miss Vee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vee, oh the rolls looks just great to me. . .oh and the paska icing. . yup, it goes on everything doesn't it?

    Oh and thanks so much for the input on the comment gadget. . it's out of there, us bloggers really need each other, I valued your input.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, look, I'm sorry, I don't mean to put a curse on you or anything, but all I'm saying is there's a special place in hell for people who keep talking about delicious, irresistable, fattening foods. That's all I'm sayin'! Now think that over before you throw me into temptation's path again, okay, Missy???


    :)

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how honest you were here! So many times I have made something, that I have had to adjust the recipe and even then it LOOKS bad, but tastes OH SO GOOD! These look like they taste wondreful!
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such sweet faces...baking for them must be a pleasure....

    I love your new banner!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 'The Cake Mix Doctor'! Where has she been hiding all this time?!? Thank you.

    Today, I need an easy Ice Cream Pie in a Graham Cracker Crust for Sunday Family Dinner. 'Tis toooo hot to bake anything!

    I haven't made dessert in a few weeks. And it's *pathetic,* my son I mean. When we sit down to eat, he says to the children... "Remember to leave room for Nana's Dessert!" To which I reply... "But I didn't make any." And then the moaning begins... moaning by son, that is. Believe me, it's pretty *pathetic.* lol.

    So....... Ice Cream Pie it is today! ,-)

    No I can't eat it but I'll come home and have one of my make-believe Ice Cream Sandwich Bars, which are very, very goooood! :-)

    Mari-Nanci
    'Smilnsigh' blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Vee,
    I think your cinnamon rolls in a skillet looked delicious and I bet they smelled incredible.

    Your grandsons are so adorable! I bet they love to visit and get your treats.

    I love your new blog banner! It seems so many are redecorating for the summer.

    And I have the same kitchen chairs as you do! That was fun to see
    :-)
    Hugs, Pat
    PS -- I don't know how you limit yourself to only one magazine subscription! Very admirable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness! Would you believe I just bought a new cast iron skillet at a garage sale and I've been seasoning it and getting it ready to use...I thought I'd try Brin's CC cookie recipe but I think this might be the first Vee! Wow! Sometime this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks for the recipe..mmmmmm :) Your tasters sure are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmmm.... those cinnamon rolls looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.