A Haven for Vee

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mackintosh Toffee and So Much More

It was another delightful day here in my corner. Another day, another package. This time from Lovella of What Matters Most! (Oy vey...the cost of postage.)



Check out this loot! Since my family is one with strong Canadian ties...half the family here, and the other half there...we know something about Canadian candy. The best! Coffee Crisps are, I believe, the number one candy bar in Canada. We love them! My son has been known to drive six hours one way to get some. (I'm tossing one of these his way.)

But this is the candy bar that started it all. My personal favorite — the Mackintosh toffee bar. Just gaze for a while on its creamy toffeeness.



Beautiful, isn't it? Yes, I've displayed it against the terrific dishcloths that Lovella sent as well so as to enhance its sweet, sweet self. The thing is, Lovella tells me that Mackintoshes will no longer be made in the 56g bar. What is the world coming to?! I've enjoyed this candy all my life!

Such fond memories I have of buying a bar so stale that it would split into lots of toffee shards upon impact. Yes, this was the candy bar that required a good smacking and could be shared with at least a dozen kids. What's not to love about that?

Yesterday, I shared my last toffee bar with my nana and my mom. We cut it carefully into strips for it was as fresh and soft as could be. We savored it. Thank you, Lovella!

Oh, not to be forgotten, I also have two wonderful magazines to enjoy. I've had the chance to read them both and I will reread them until they are dogeared. Then I will pass them along to my mother who is quite excited to think about a current Chatelaine. She showed me some of her vintage copies yesterday.


There was so much tucked into that package, but what I mostly sensed was friendship, thoughtfulness, and charity. Thank you again, my friend!

Now for the burning question of yesterday: Just how many bags of jelly beans did it take to fill the jar? Three!



Unbeknownst to my readers, this was a real contest with real prizes. Sort of a silent giveaway, if you will. I'll be notifying the winners later today. Thanks to everyone for playing and making it fun!

22 comments:

  1. I found out several years ago that I have a Canadian Heritage on my Mom's side. Now, I want to go visit...we were up in the Thousand Island area when I was a girl...just visiting.

    Don't know about that particular candy but toffee is on my list of favorites.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did your post ever bring back memories!! Both of my grandmas were Canadians (technically I am too) and I spent many happy times visiting. One treat I will never forget is the macintosh toffee!!!!! Have not had it in decades but still remember the taste so very well. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great gift and to have it evoke fond memories is terrific. That candy looks divine!

    Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear aunt lives in Hastings. I really enjoy visiting her there in Canada. On my next visit, I'm going to make a point of "sampling" the local candy...especially the toffee bar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm Canadian eh!
    It's funny, I was at a department store last night and had a conversation with the sales clerk about Mackintosh Toffee!! LOL
    Is that Canadian Living the one with Chicken and Dumplings on the cover? Mmmmm I just finished reading mine last week. :)
    Enjoy your gifts!
    ((Hugs))
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun taste of home you received! I so want to visit some parts of Canada, maybe some day and I will have to snag a toffee bar if they are available! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your posts are SO much fun! Mmm..Canadian roots run deep in my family too - and those Coffee Crisp bars were one thing my mother always put in our packages sent overseas! And the toffee kinds for my husband! Must make a trip to Canada soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Windsor is just across the border for me and yet I don't know that brand of toffee; I love toffee so I will look for it. Nice gift package, eh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want a candy bar!!!! Looks and sounds so good. Have a great day. It is raining here today...m.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Vee,
    Here I sit with MY beloved reading this post in our trailer . .we laughed and I smiled. .oh and guess what they sell at the candy shop here in Cannon Beach. .. I pointed them out to Terry ..and said. . Vee should come here ..coffee crisps ..

    Glad you enjoyed the treat .. .your sweet comments on my blog .. made it worth the cost of that postage .. and don't forget about that fantastic apron that you sent me. .which has now helped other people to enjoy that great pattern too . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Vee, that is such a thoughtful gift and I am glad it was sent your way! Yep...Canadian candy...AND...what about Cheezies!!!!!! Grin. Have a super day there Vee and snuggle up with another read of those hearty Canadian recipes in the magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like Easter over at your place Vee. Love the bunny, jelly beans, etc.....and I always like to see John in your posts!!

    Have a great day, stay blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have no Canadians, Vee, we're all native born Texans here with strong Tennessee roots a few generations back. But that Toffee is soundin' real good right now!
    What a thoughtful friend!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I am drooling. I can appreciate a GOOD candy bar. I frequently reward myself for being so good grocery shopping that I earn a 3 Musketeers at the checkout.
    I long for a Marathon bar from my youth. It was braided caramel covered in milk chocolate.
    Sigh.
    Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum - a Coffee Crisp bar sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your candy looks delicious! And I love your new header...very springy! Such a good girl for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Vee!

    I think I gained that lb back just reading your post about that wonderful candy you got! MMMMMM I can "almost" taste it!

    I can't believe I missed your contest but I would have guessed 5 bags, WRONG!

    Have a great day Vee!

    Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a nice package to recieve Vee! The candy bar sounds so delicious! I can't believe there were only three bags of jelly beans in that jar. I thought for sure five. I was way off. LOL It was a fun game :>)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Canadian candy...who knew? What a sweet gift (no pun intended). I smiled to hear how your beloved showered you with jelly beans. I think he's adorable. ~Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a nice surprise gift for you from Lovella! It must have been so nice to enjoy a candy from your childhood....too bad it won't be made any more :(

    Enjoy the magazines!

    Hugs, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh now make me jealous! Coffee Crisp mmmm, will have to make do with some maple syrup in my coffe to get me through for now. Thanks for sharing this fun post full of all things that are great about Canada.

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.