A Haven for Vee

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Comfort

...All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.~ Psalm 139:16 NIV

I take comfort in that for myself and for my loved ones. Last year, when Nan was going through her final days on this earth, a commenter (thank you, Lea) prayed the most comforting prayer: May she live every one of her intended days.

In our humanity, my family and I would never have chosen November 6 as Nan's departure date because it is also my mother's birthday. So we're all struggling a bit with this anniversary that presents a double whammy. You'll be happy to know that we are talking about it. So important.

My daughter and I will be working on a project together trying to create some new memories for this day and my sister and her family will be doing something together that will be meaningful for them as well. And we'll continue to talk about it.

I'd also like to share something that a friend told me recently. She was probing a bit to see how I was "really" doing, asking those pertinent questions. I responded with my usual, "I know where they are and I could not wish them back." To which she replied, "Your grandmother and mother are having an entirely different experience from your own. It is all right for you to say that you miss them terribly and to acknowledge your own pain."

Perhaps at that point I mentioned that scripture teaches us not to grieve and she reminded me that it does not. What?! No, it teaches us not to grieve as those who have no hope. We have a great hope.

You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word. ~Psalm 119:114 NIV

Thank you for allowing me to share my heart today...