A Haven for Vee

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Patriotism and Christianity

But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ. ~Philippians 3:20

There are times when being a citizen of any country is a challenge. There will be those times when we are not in agreement with the current government or administration; those times when our fellow citizenry vote much differently than we have. The list goes on and on. I am learning to welcome those times of challenge because it is then that I am reminded that my true citizenship is not here on this earth. It is in Heaven.

Nevertheless, I am a shameless patriot. I wave my flag with abandon and support the military and all those who work tirelessly to do good. I'm especially thinking of and praying for firefighters these days.

As Billy Sunday once said, "Christianity and Patriotism are synonymous terms, and hell and traitors are synonymous." Do I agree? Not totally, but very, very close. 


~The View from the Family Cottage in Canada~

Patriotism is not reserved for the citizens of the United States. I'd like to think that every people in every nation experience patriotism. I saw it in the UK with the Queen's Jubilee Celebration and I know that my Canadian friends are feeling that national pride on this Canada Day. God bless them!

Now off to wish my sister a Happy Canada Day. She became a triple citizen not so long ago: Heaven, the United States, and Canada.