A Haven for Vee

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My Guilty Pleasures

Are we living balanced and beautiful lives? Melissa@The Inspired Room has raised this thought-provoking question right here on February 19th's post. It hearkens back to former discussions about what makes a beautiful home. Melissa believes that a beautiful life comes before a beautiful home and that that beautiful life is then reflected in the home. I'm not going to attempt to speak for Melissa because she speaks to this issue far more eloquently than I ever could, but just because the discussion is valuable and timely, I hope that you will read it for yourselves and join in the conversation.

Gosh, and I thought this post was going to be all about this guilty pleasure:



Kraft spaghetti suppers take me back to 1965 faster than a time machine. Like many other moms, mine was grocery shopping on Friday evenings trying to beat the Saturday morning rush. My dad was usually on the road; he was a professional bus driver and his job took him on lots of tours across the country. (I only mention this because there is no way that a spaghetti supper straight from the box would have been acceptable if he had been home.)

How exciting it was to haul in the grocery bags, unload them, and find that little box. It was our pizza, I guess.

Friday evenings also meant watching The Wild Wild West (1965–1969) with Robert Conrad. Remember him?



Ahhh, yes, the good old days when good prevailed over evil, Kraft spaghetti suppers were all a kid could ever want, and I was living a beautiful, balanced life.

Wild Wild West photo source (as it is impossible to track this poster to its origins, I am making the choice to allow it to stand)

13 comments:

  1. I feel the same way Vee!! My Mom was a single parent putting herself through Nursing school after my father left her...we never had the luxury of sugar cereals or Hostess cakes but I sure do remember that!
    Hugs,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I loved WWW...Artemus Gordon was my dreamboat...and I remember the spagetti dinners from the Kraft box but mostly the pizza from the Kraft box...they tasted okay, I guess, but to us they were Nirvana...we made them ourselves and Mama helped us "doctor" them with peppers onions and extra real mozzerell, lol...fun fun fun Girl...I have a little something for you over at my house
    hugs
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! Such a sweet memory and I do remember the Wild, Wild, West! The only thing we ate from a box was hamburger helper, which helped your hamburger make a great meal! I loved the taco dinner one. Oh, we did have rice-a-roni, the San Francisco treat! (hated the stuff!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We grew up with very plain and boring food an anything that came from a package was a treat. My Dad does not eat Italian food or cheese, so we would have the spaghetti i he was out at a Masonic Dinner. We ate Kraft M&C on Saturdays watching Sky King!! Wasn't life simple back then...or so it seems in retrospect.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first meal my husband, then boyfriend, cooked for me was spaghetti using Spaghettini seasoning. I'd never seen those little packets before but that's how his mom did it. My mom didn't use Kraft spaghetti but we all liked the pizza kit.

    I do remember watching WWW on Friday nights. My mother loved that show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm.. spagetti in any form sounds pretty good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good old Sloppy Joes were our pizza...oh and a box of mac and cheese!

    I don't remember Friday night shows as that was skate night at the roller rink...but on Saturday's there was Sonny and Cher or Carol Burnett...loved them!

    Hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the WWW! Did you like the movie remake? I remember us making pizza from the Kraft pizza kits. My daughter and I made one last year and it's just not the same as making it from scratch or take out, but I sure do remember enjoying them as a kid!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still love that!!! I just doctor it up some now...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Vee, I'm back - just been staying real busy at home and work and trying to keep my mind off of stuff.

    My mom made spaghetti and Chef Boyardee sauce every week. My dad traveled alot and he didn't like the stuff.

    I doctor up Ragu for my family and add ground beef with spices OR italian sausage - that's our favorite!

    Thanks for checking in on me! Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Campbell's tomato soup, grilled cheese and I Love Lucy reruns. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The good ol' days! I remember watching I Love Lucy in black and white while eating Sloppy Joes. Now, this was more like 1975 for me. Life did seem strangely more simple back then. When I wanted to record a tv show I had to put my cassette player up to the TV and record sound only. At least I could hear what I missed! Somehow while life should be simpler now with all the access to gadgets to make life easier, it is just seems more complicated. I have about 30 shows saved in my DVR to catch up on. But I of course don't have time for that!
    Bring on the B&W I Love Lucy show at 6PM only and sloppy joes. Life was good.
    Signing off...yes I am.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mom made spaghetti from a box. she added little meatballs that she made and served it all in a brown earthenware lidded dish that had a little candle under it.

    ReplyDelete