A Haven for Vee

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Christmas is a Time to Love

(Imagine a brightly lit Victorian Christmas tree with a family dancing around it hand in hand.)

He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree. ~Roy L. Smith

One of my children's favorite Christmas songs from their childhood was this:

Christmas is a time
Christmas is a time
Christmas is a time to love
Christmas is a time
Christmas is a time
Christmas is a time to love

We often start to worry and people get upset
When things don’t go all right on Christmas day
What we should remember in all the push and shove
Is Christmas is a time to love.

Maybe things don’t sound right or look the way they should
And maybe they’re not perfectly in tune
It really doesn’t matter, let’s keep our eyes above
Because Christmas is a time to love.

~Ernie Rettino and Debby Kerner-Rettino

My kids later added this chorus:

Jesus is the way
Jesus is the way
Jesus is the way to love
Jesus is the way
Jesus is the way
Jesus is the way to love


It's beautifully simple and the melody is sweet. I often find myself with tears in my eyes listening to it. I'm reminded again that Christmas is a time for love and that Jesus is the way to show it. I don't know about you, but I have some "un" lovelies in my world. Showing them love is very important all the year through, but, at this season, it's crucial.

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 1 John 4:7