A Haven for Vee

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I've Lost My Mommy

It was one of those days.

A day when we both had a lot to get accomplished, but more importantly, a day to spend together...sort of.

It began with my mother's doctor's appointment. All things these days begin with an appointment it seems.

Then we made a bee line for breakfast as my mom had been fasting in order to have bloodwork done. We had the big ol' Sizzlin' Skillet breakfast at Denny's, which took us sailing right through the day until the mandatory stop at Tim Horton's on the way home.

Other than that, it was a shop until you drop kind of day. We were lugging such a large number of heavy bags by the time we arrived at Bath and Body Works that I offered to take it all back to the car, repark the car, and meet Mother at the far end of the mall in the toddler department at J.C. Penney. Sigh. One might think that that would have been an easy assignment.

Half an hour of shopping for the grands later and with purchases piling high, still no mother. So I checked out and went looking.

I followed every white-haired lady I saw; I followed every lady wearing a fleecy jacket; I followed every lady with that certain limp. I grew more and more anxious.
Perhaps I've been reading too much Are You My Mother by P.D. Eastman...

My internal dialog cranked up and I imagined myself before a mall security officer requesting an all points bulletin. I retraced my many steps thinking "what would Mother do?" I knew what I would've done...taken a nap on one of the many benches strategically placed at exits. One poor fellow seated on one of said benches asked if I'd lost anyone — wonder what gave it away. I tried to grin, "Yes, I've lost my mommy." At least, he got a chuckle out of it.

After an additional 45 minutes, I found her. Right there rummaging through men's gloves in the men's department. Does that sound anything like the toddler department? Hmmmmm?

Quickly, I assessed my emotional meter and decided to clarify rather than confront. "Mother," says I, "How was I supposed to know to find you here?"

She looked up at me with a warm smile, her glasses perched precariously on the tip of her nose and said, "Hello, Dear, I've been shopping in women's lingerie."

23 comments:

  1. :)

    I'm glad you found her! Such a cute, sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story and it made me chuckle. Some moms are great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you found your mommy! I wish I could find mine again...even for a day...or just to chat with for a wee little while. I have so much to tell her...but it will all have to wait!

    Glad you had a most successful shopping trip. How many bags did you have from Bath & Bodyworks? I love that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so cute vee! so happy to hear you found her safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so funny! I remember taking my mom shopping. It was just like taking a kid that I had to keep up with for fear of losing her! :)

    Have a great Tuesday!

    Hugs,
    Hope

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's cute, but I feel your anquish. Glad your mom was safe and sound!
    Hugs,
    Cathie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story. Glad you found your mommy!

    Blessings,
    Wanita

    ReplyDelete
  8. These moms! Can't take 'em anywhere! Glad you found her, Vee. She knew exactly where she was the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you found your mommy! I love your header photo, Vee. So beautiful! Wishing you a very merry Christmas. :)
    xoxo,
    MAry

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is too funny (and also a little scary!). I'm so glad you found her without much trouble. I have a similar problem with David. He just wanders off in stores and I find him 45 min later and say "how was I supposed to find you here?" and he is completely un-fazed, like he is unaware of the situation. People are funny. Moms included!

    Glad the shopping was successful and bless you for taking your darling Mom out for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had to have a little giggle about your runaway mum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok...time to get mama a cell phone, make her turn it on and that way you can touch base while shopping. That usually works for me....lol
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute! I am glad you found your mom, that was the important thing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Vee...
    Such a sweet and funny story...I am glad someone else has shopping trips with their mom like I do with mine!!! LOL
    Hugs and Merry Christmas,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad your mommy turned up safe and sound! Sounds like you had fun on your shopping trip. I wish that was what I was doing right now ~ did I just type that? (I dislike shopping!) Alas, presents only get under the tree if you buy them. I have most of mine done I just need a day to finish up and we are iced in! I am getting edgy to get it done. Oh well, it will get done when it gets done! Rest up from all that shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you found Mother! But that IS what mums do.

    And, so happy to hear you are a Timmy's lover. I was not aware there were any close to where you live. My day cannot properly start without a Tims. I almost feel sorry for those that cannot experience the love.

    Lisa
    Knitty, Vintage and Rosy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I seem to lose my mummy too when we go shopping. I tried to get her to use a mobile phone, but after an hour of futile instructions, I realised I would have to keep tracking her down when she went awol. Sigh. I am really glad you found her and that she didn't know she was lost!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vee,
    What a lovely accounts - and kudos for keeping your panic and frustrations under the radar. Your mother sounds delightful!

    Haven't visited for so long, and picked a great day to come back.

    Hope you have a lovely Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was so funny and just the belly laugh I needed at the end of a long day of hard work! I could almost feel the weight of the packages in your bags as you left your mom and went to move the car. Bless your heart ...as if it weren't enough that she wasn't where she was supposed to be, she didn't even know to be heartily sorry for all she'd put you through.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH THAT WAS SO WONDERFUL! That is absolutely the most fantastic read I've had today! I loved it...I was getting anxious about your Mom but new that you would not leave a stone unturned till you found the one she had wandered under!! Loved it! I also love that you and John just listened to my player all afternoon, lol...I do that too...hug your Mom for me, will you? I was getting quite worried!
    hugs to you two, too!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL! I'm glad you found your Mommy!

    This was such a common experience before cell phones and everyone calling each other constantly.... when I'm in Costco people are always yelling into their phones asking what isle their spouse is in at that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So sweet Vee. My husband is usually the one I am looking for. He tends to wander. And blame me that we get separated. :-D

    I saw a family who lost an older lady in the mall one time, they were worried sick. Found her safe and sound looking at pearls.

    THANK you so much for the Christmas card! You are the best, Vee!

    Blessings!!!

    2 weeks until moving day. Lots of prep, but house is not ready at all. GAH!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad you found your Mother.
    I know that internal feeling from a recent episode. I lost Alan.
    After 45 minutes I was becoming seriously anguished having looked in many places in the mall. His phone was not answering.
    The 'loo' in Waterstones where we had parted was locked, on going out onto the street there was an ambulance just about to drive away. My heart was racing - where shall I start. I began to pray, looked up and there was Alan sitting on a bench assuming I had decided to join a 'sale' queue. The bench was in the opposite direction to everywhere I had looked and the opposite direction to where I had said we would meet. Crossed wires during the parting!!
    Not sure where my blood pressure was but myu heart was sure beating fast. Never thought to blog on it.

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.