A Haven for Vee

Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Little Adventure and An Award

Yesterday, everything came together perfectly at about three in the afternoon. I had finished gathering the items for Judy's box and had wrapped it securely with tons of packing tape. Good luck with that, Judy! So all that remained was to get myself out of the house and to the post office.



Checking my wallet first, I realized that a stop by the bank's ATM machine was in order because a few groceries were needed as well.

I don't know how it is with you, but I am such a homebody that I forget how to "be" out there in the great, big, scary world. As I was pulling up to the ATM machine slowly...I know how easy it is to rip off a mirror...don't ask...another driver roared up behind me and sat there revving her motor.

I went on about my banking business and tried to ignore the fact that she was sitting right on my ar$e and revving the danged motor. (Sandi, I really need to take some lessons!) Anyway, apparently, it was bugging me a lot more than even I thought because I started to drive off before I had responded to the "Is your transaction complete?" query. Yikes! You know where this is going, right? But, no, there were no fender benders nor did I get hurt. I just grinned at her in my most apologetic way while she grimaced back at me. I pressed the "yes" and scurried back to my car, hopped in, and slammed the door...on my seat belt buckle with a c-r-u-n-c-h.

Okay, one errand down, two to go. Off to the post office where all went amazingly well except for the fact that I had to write down everything that was in the box and when I asked if that little customs tag would remain on the package the post office guy said that it would. Ackkkkk! Don't peek, Judy!

Phew! Two errands down, one to go...off to the hometown grocery because, even though the prices there are sky high, the cost of gas is keeping me closer than ever to home.

So I picked up my oranges ($2.99), Smart milk ($2.99), whole wheat bread ($3.00), a pound of hamburger ($3.10), and a small package of shredded cabbage ($1.00) and headed for the checkout where two young ladies were manning the registers. There were long lines at both lanes, but finally I was next.

The young man ahead of me was cashing his paycheck and purchasing a carton of cigarettes for $11.75 or something like that. After his change had been counted back, my order was rung up and paid for. But the man ahead of me was still standing there counting his change.

He says, "Something's wrong here! This isn't right!"

The oranges, milk, bread, hamburger, cabbage, and I all sat there waiting patiently as the cashier turned her attention to the problem. Poor thing was so shook that she was having troubles counting back the change. She took the money out of his hand. Counted it. Set it on top of her register. Removed the check. Handed it back to him. Counted out the additional funds and handed it all over.

In the meantime, I decide that perhaps I can handle bagging my own groceries. Person behind comes up and takes my place in line as I switch to the end of the counter and fiddle with the plastic bags. Man ahead is still counting the money. Finally, he is satisfied and leaves. I am packing when I become aware of a piece of paper fluttering down — the check! The check is not in the drawer! I tap the cashier gently on the shoulder and hand her the check. Gee, I sure hope that her count was good at the end of her shift.

At this point, I can't wait to get home. Nothing nervewracking like that ever happens here!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Another beautiful award was given to me by Pat @ Milli Fiori Favoriti. Thank you so much, Pat, it's a beauty and I will honor it and pass it along soon!

20 comments:

  1. Congratualtions on your award.
    At least your time away from home wasn't boring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days it just doesn't pay to leave the house! That's my excuse for being a hermit lately :)

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a wonderful writer and I can so totally relate to your ATM experience. I hope your day is full of extra blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Vee,
    Love your picture. You look quite angelic with the frame behind you giving you a halo effect. I'll have to start calling you St. Vee.
    Christin

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, Christin! That's too funny and I wish that I had noticed it first so that I could've mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Vee, your adventures sound like mine! At least your day was interesting! Love the picture!

    I hope your check out person was not taken in by the old bait and switch! I worked in a grocery store when I was in high school and this was something we were warned about. A customer would complain about incorrect change want their check back, shuffle things around, get the clerk confused, and end up leaving with extra padding in his pocket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You hurried to leave a parking spot for an impatient person?? no, no, no,... that is when you jump out, prop open the hood and shrug at her. then, leave the car wherever..even if it is in the middle of the lane...and walk away to do your business, or even go shopping. When you get inside the building... turn around and have a good laugh... cuz by then she will be waaaaay more than irritated. she will screech off even if she has to back up...and disappear. It is almost as good as beating them to the parking spot and getting a few scrapes in the process.... remember "I am older and better insured" from Fried Green Tomatoes?.....hahhahah love it....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another award bestowed on a very deserving person! Congrats darlin'!!
    I went to the grocery this morning because they were having a case sale and I wanted to stock up. One thing after another happened and I finally just left my cart in the middle of an aisle and went home! Sometimes ya just gotta go on home! LOL Maybe I'll try again tomorrow! : )
    Take care!
    Hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my, I hate to admit it but those kinds of days are getting more and more frequent for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I can relate to a day like that! You wrote it so well...I could picture everything and everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean about the big bad world... it is scary out there.... fun story reminds me of ME...
    By the way you are back in Haven and NO longer in heaven... sorry I guess you'll have to wait a little longer for the golden gates....lol
    Hugs
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Linda! You can see why I was wondering if I might be getting messages from beyond. First Christin's comment about the halo and then I discovered your blogroll. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on the award, Vee! You do look angelic there in your photo.

    Your day sounds like the kind of days I have often...

    Happy Spring!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an adventure you had...Blessings to you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Once one starts spending time at home, it seems like almost an annoyance to have to go out and run errands. I keep putting it off and next thing I know the day is almost over.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Vee...you're so cute. It's good to put a face to the name. I'm with you, give me my nest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your award. Some days when everything seems to go wrong, and people are rude I think about how nice it is to come home and pop on my blog. Always nice things going on here, and very rarely are the words anything but kind. Blessings, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seems some days are just like that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha! lol! My days are so much like that it's too funny! It is so hard to get out of the house with two wee ones in tow, that by the time I load both them both into a grocery cart, I just want to turn around and go straight home!
    the award is well deserved!!
    xoxo~
    Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hate having to fill out those customs forms. Whenever I send gifts to my son, daughter-in-law or granddaughter in Japan, it kind of spoils the surprise when the gifts are listed on the outside of the package! lol
    And I, too, have been sticking closer to home due to the rising gas prices. Which means I'm also spending more at the grocery store because I've been going more to the one that's closest to us. I've just about decided that I can't win with this. One way or another, it's always going to cost me.

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.