A Haven for Vee

Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Book of Bright Ideas

Happyone tagged me back on May 8th to write about my favorite book.

Here is the background information: Books are scarce in the world. They are illegal in some provinces. They are not easily replaced, if not impossible to replace if lost in many if not most circumstances. If you can replace a book or buy one, it is usually through the black market at astronomical costs that you cannot afford. Yet you have been able to maintain one of the best collections in the world. If your entire library was about to burn up (think of the firefighters in Fahrenheit 451 invading your home) and you could only have one* book to take with you other than the Bible, what would that be and why?

Simple Rules: Answer the question. Offer one quote that resonates with you. Tag five people whose response is of genuine interest to you and inform him or her that they have been tagged.

Being the rotten rule-breaker that I am, I am going to discuss a book that I probably wouldn't grab in those circumstances, but which I have thought a lot about since reading it. If I were in those circumstances, I'd grab my grandfather's vintage valise that sits on one end of the sofa, go to the bookshelves, and just shovel in as much as I could. I can't even imagine living in the world that is described in that paragraph. Though I've never written a book, I have kept journals and journals truly are not replaceable so I want to grab them, too.



So that's the book and just in time for your summer reading enjoyment. The narrator is a nine year old girl who becomes friends with the little gal you see on the cover...great cover by the way!

"I was nine years old the summer Freeda and Winnalee Malone rushed across our lives like red-hot flames, peeling back the shutters that sat over our hearts and our minds, setting free our sweetest dreams and our worst nightmares. Too young to know that anything out of the ordinary was about to happen."

Not going to tag anyone, but if you find yourself needing a post some fine day, this would make a good one! Thanks, Happyone!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

On a completely different note, I am going to do something radical to my hair tomorrow...r-a-d-i-c-a-l! Here's the before...



I promise I'll post the radical Saturday morning, if not before, no matter how awful it is. :D

18 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo - I'm waiting for radical.

    Hmmmm, very, very short, lots of product to make it all stand up on your head.

    Hair extensions?

    Platinum blonde?

    Red, spiky?

    Dark black goth?

    Can't wait.....

    - Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the radical new hair either.
    I'm going to have to do that one of these days.

    I love the quote you picked out of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Vee!!!!! It's so nice to see you sweetie!! Can I come with you? My hair needs something radical BAD...It's so nice to see your pretty, smiling face! Have fun and the book looks wonderful ~ xxoo, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Radical new do in the works? Hmmm...and here I was thinking you had just had it done...it looks totally fine to me! Well, I'll be back to cast my vote on the before and after pic's!

    The book looks like a good summer read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vee! Whatever are you going to do???? I'm just all aquiver with anticipation!
    I enjoyed your answer to the meme. I couldn't live with just one book, either. I don't write journals, but I'd have to have a suitcase full of books that I would enjoy reading over and over again!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting, and you letting us all watch!

    I'm guessing shorter and darker. Maybe some little spikes...

    I will stay tuned :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book sound intriguing but not as much as radical hair! Are you going goth? skin head? shocking pink? It looks good like it is, now where is your smile in the before? Will we see one in the after? Oh the anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not just a new do but a radical new do! I can't wait to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That book sounds very interesting. I love the passage you quoted.

    Wow - something rad with your hair! Can't wait to see it.
    Hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Radical, huh? Are you going butch (as in Marine Jarhead cut)? lololol
    No? How about...punk? Are we aiming for a nice mohawk? Or are you going Gwen Stefani blonde? Or Lucy red? Come on, woman! Don't leave us hanging. Post the change ASAP...I'll be twisted up in agony by Saturday! lol

    Whatever you're doing, good luck with it. Can't wait to see! I know it'll be great.

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Vee!
    This is really exciting! I can't wait to see what you do!!
    Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Radical? Did I say radical? Guess I should have qualified that. You gals seem bent on seeing something really wild. Not platinum blonde wild or red and spiky wild, but it will represent a huge shift for conservative me. ;>

    ReplyDelete
  13. Radical hair change, hu? Wow! You sure know how to tweek our curiosity. :-)

    Good luck with whatever it will be. And hope you thought it out, ahead of time, too.

    But, my mantra is ~ Hair grows. So no matter what I've ever *done* to it, it has grown out again. :-)

    Hope your upcoming experience is totally wonderful to/for you!

    Mari-Nanci
    'Smilnsigh'

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blonde. Short, spikey and blonde. Now which of us will be right???

    I am with you on the suitcase and shovelling as much in as possible. Life without books? Can't do!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woo Hoo. . I love the hair fun. Thank you for posting such a REAL thing. I can't wait to see your hair after. .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't wait to see what you did with your hair! Thanks for visitng me and you are entered in the drawing, Good Luck!

    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Vee, radical hair change, that sounds like me...Every once in a while I end up going to someone other than my normal hair stylist, he has been styling away since we went to school together 25 plus years ago...my favorite line is from a stylist I went to and when the person was done they said "you like?"...I'll leave it at that. I always keep in mind, it will always grow back.

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.