A Haven for Vee

Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Tale of a Simple Day and an Ironing Board Cover

Though I fought with myself from the time I announced in yesterday's post that I had errands to run right up until the moment I was backing out the drive, I managed to overcome. The older I get, the more challenging it is for me to leave the house. Sometimes I have even wondered...

Stopped at the storage facility and paid for two months so I wouldn't have to return any time soon and promptly managed to leave my gloves behind. Once I had parked at the grocery store and was looking for a cart, I realized immediately on two counts. 1. It's still crazy chilly here and, 2. I am one of those germaphobes. I don't like wheeling carts around without wearing my gloves. (Yes, I wipe the handles down as well.) So I got back into the car and returned to find my gloves sitting on the desk where I'd left them. The office gal hadn't had time to notice them as they simply disappeared into the general clutter of the office.

Spent $100 more than I wanted to on groceries. That's what you get for shopping while you're hungry. Had a little chat with the manager for not accepting my Fancy Feast coupon for 24 cans of cat food when I had two boxes of 12 each. That makes 24 in my book. In his, it meant that I had to purchase a box of 24. I must read the fine print on that coupon. After all, a dollar's savings is not to be frowned upon.

Came home and, after sorting out groceries and putting them away, I tackled the ironing board cover. My tutorial suggested flipping the ironing board over and tracing it on the fabric. This couldn't be accomplished in my sewing room so I switched to the bedroom. Then it couldn't be accomplished because I no longer crawl around on floors. Rarely that is. I save that for the times when, during a rousing game of Hide n' Seek with grandsons, a good hiding place means one must crawl. Otherwise, no, not so much.


working in the bedroom

Flipped the ironing board rightside up and used it as a model for its new cover. It worked fine. I used bits and pieces from several tutorials for this project, but *this one* was used most. This tutorial didn't mention a bodkin, but I loved using that little gadget. My mother always taught me to use a safety pin. Trust me, get a bodkin and never use a safety pin again for drawing strings. I also vastly prefer the drawstring method over using elastic.


in the sewing room where it belongs

Molly the Poodle Wonder Dog heard John when he arrived on the outskirts of town at just before five. I am certain of this because she set up such a rumpus from 4:55 on. Sure enough, he pulled in a few moments later. One would think that the five minutes' warning would have been enough for me to leave the ironing board cover, zip down the stairs, and pretend to be doing something in the kitchen about supper preparation. Good tip: even boiling water allows a hungry man to think that something is happening in the kitchen.

When at 5:30 I had finally made it down the stairs, I asked John if he minded a breakfast for supper...some thick sliced bacon I had left over, some eggs, hash browns, and toast. Oh no, he didn't mind; he's very accomodating. Foiled again—the bacon wasn't good. Not a problem. I moved on to some sausage—not good either. Good grief. Time really does escape me. It had been over two weeks since I had opened either package. Ultimately, we went with fried ham bought yesterday, eggs, hash browns, and toast. Some exciting supper.

Tonight I'll do better. I will!

Now I'm off to clean out the fridge.



24 comments:

  1. A great tale! Your ironing board cover looks great. I've never used a bodkin, either, but will get one now. I could have used it the other day when I was using that safety pin method to string the tie through Keith's flannel pants.

    So, you also have that trouble with things going bad in the refrigerator. Hmmmm, let's blame it on the refrigerator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing about your day, you're a very creative writer! Your ironing board cover came out beautifully....I just buy mine. Sometimes they have really neat ones at TJ Maxx. Can you tell I'm not a seamstress? Our Loosey knows exactly the time of day, about 6:30 p.m. Brad gets home. She will run to the laundry/back entry and start getting all excited. Then in he comes, says a few kind words to her and gives her more treats then she deserves for greeting him at the door! When I get home from being gone, say to the grocery store, I get nothing! Oh well, I guess that's the way it is! And by the way, I live with a man that enjoys cooking....I wish he would be happy with breakfast for dinner! Sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had "one of those days". With the left behind gloves and food that had gone bad....but successful with the beautiful ironing board cover and I am sure that your breakfast for dinner was very good. We had Spaghetti.

    Dogs just have a way of knowing, don't they. How amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food in any form is good, and your dinner sounds good. As for the irning board - the cover is great - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Vee,
    I so enjoyed yesterday and todays posts, The ironing board cover looks great, love reading of your day.
    Enjoy breakfast anytime, and so does dh.
    You have done a wonderful job with your blog design. I must take some time to work on mine today.still having some problems.
    Enjoy your day.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ironing cover looks great Vee! I had never heard of a bodkin before, now I have to go look it up - lol.
    Hugs,
    Penny
    p.s. the cups and saucers arrived yesterday, now I am having fun deciding what to do with them :-). Thanks a million!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vee,

    Your ironing board cover is beautiful. I'm sure you are pleased.

    Recently, I have been hating to leave the house too. If I can order it on Amazon that is what we do. I am content at home. We do go out for groceries but we both love to eat and cook so we have to.

    Have a great day. I do love reading your posts.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl you are so funny! I love hearing about you day and we love breakfast for supper in our house! Girl the only ironing board in this house is an old wooden antique one and the only time the iron gets plugged up is when I need to make a quick hem in fabric with my 'stitch witch' stuff! lol Have a great day sweetie...Picket

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vee a great cover. I can see you trying to get into the kitchen by the time hubby gets home. I do the same things. Even though he does all the cooking it has to look like something is getting started. LOL I am also like you in that I so hate going out to do errands and such. Try to keep to a minimum to at the most two. Gas, oh man, what a fiasco.
    Blessings
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colorful cover! It will make it fun to iron...I think! lol And 'breakfast supper' is my favorite meal! Enjoy your day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your ironing board came out very nice!

    With the price of gas these days I try to keep my "going out" to places I can walk to or take a bus or train.

    My crock pot is my busy day lifesaver ..I load it up in the morning with pork or chicken and some sauce and by dinner time all I have to do is makes a couple of side dishes. Potatoes "bake" in the microwave in 10 minutes and tatse really good. Broccoli steams in the microwave in four minutes --dinner is done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job on the ironing board cover. Looks great.
    We must have been food shopping at the same time.
    I like to have pancake breakfasts for supper. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agreed! Who wants to go out, in this horrid weather???

    First you have to put on batches of clothing. Then, you have to navigate icky roads. Or in my case, worry about how 'Uncle A.' is navigating icky roads. Then not fall down, entering or exiting whatever place you have to visit.

    And don't even mention touching anything! Of course use gloves in grocery store, or wipe handle. And then anyway, remember to NOT touch your hands to any place on your head, where germs can enter. And use your tissue with care, tooooo. Keeping it folded in the way that your [probably germy by now] fingers do not touch the part, which touches your nose.

    Ohhhhhhhhhhhh sooooooo much trouble!

    At least, when ice/snow goes away, we don't have all the outer clothing to deal with. Or the icky roads. Or falling on ice, when walking.

    But come to think of it, I'll still not happily run to the car! Even then! :-) Tsk, tsk, tsk... Is it our age? -giggles- It is with me, but you and others aren't "olden". And some of you, still feel the same aversion to go-ing-out-ness.

    Oh horray! I got to invent another word! "Go-ing-out-ness"! :-)

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Vee . .now I am wanting a new ironing board cover. I have a board built into the wall which is shorter than the average commercial cover replacements and wonder why it never occured to me to sew my own. thanks for the idea. OH .and I love that fabric. It is close to the project I sewed last year.
    http://lovella-at-home.blogspot.com/2010/05/summertime-tease.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice ironing board cover, Vee. I would have just picked up one at WalMart, but that's just me...lazy. :D I'm glad that I'm not the only one who forgets how long stuff has been in the refrigerator. Hate when that happens! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm smiling. No matter where we live, we all seem to have the same 'stand-in' supper...called breakfast. And guess what? I love having breakfast for supper!

    Great job on the ironing board cover. I must go see what mine looks like. Funny, I can't even picture it from here. But this I know...it is not pretty like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your ironing board cover came out so nice. Pretty and cheerful looking and, no doubt, will make ironing your favorite job :).
    Reading about your dinner made me feel better about those nights when I can't seem to pull it together. Last night was one of them, but I am thankful for an easy going husband too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Breakfast for dinner is a great standby that men seem to love.

    Your day sounds like a bit of this and that, the good, the bad - and then, the beautiful ending with a new ironing board cover and dinner with the man you love.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love breakfast for supper..I could eat breakfast anytime..so you did good :-)
    THe ironong board cover is darling..and I had no idea what a bodkin was..then thought something to pull the drawstring? Must be..Hope you keep your hands warm, your tummy full and cuddle with Molly & John to your heart's content!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vee, guess what? It's 66 degrees at my house.... right now!!!!!
    The price of groceries is outrageous, don't you think? And then I, like you, forget what I have in the fridge and let it spoil:(
    Breakfast for dinner/supper is one of our favorites too.
    Love your ironing board cover:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I used to never have things spoil in the frig until Christopher moved out last semester. He's home for a few months (to save money) but now I never know if he's going to be home for dinner or not.

    He is probably moving into an apartment for good in May, at which time I've already told him I'm taking over his bedroom to turn part of it into a sewing room! ;)

    LOVE the ironing board cover.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Vee,
    You have given me some really great tips on how to make my vintage ironing board a new cover. I can't find one anywear, I don't think they make the one I have anymore. I had thought about just using the cover that is on it now for the pattern and since yours turned out so great I will try making mine.I love the fabric you used its so pretty and the colors are so fun and happy. So my next sewing project after I finish the king size quilt I'm making LOL will be the ironing board cover..

    Have a sweet day and hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  23. The ironing board cover you made is so cheerful! I adore it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Re: Your answer to my question, in my blog... "In the U.S., the period goes inside. :D"

    Hooray! I've *wanted* to put it inside! So I had a gut feeling, for the correct punctuation. How cool is that? ,-)

    I didn't address my question directly to you, but knew you would have my answer. :-)))) You are *up* on all things, which pertain to punctuation! Which probably sometimes makes you *cry,* when reading my blog. Sorry... [And see, the comma went inside the *] :-)

    Btw, how is your cellar?????????? Yes, I would have to introduce *horror* into this comment, wouldn't I? ,-))))))))))

    ReplyDelete

🕊
If comments disappear, please don't fret. A simple "hi" will do. The platform surely needs some maintenance.